Titanium Powerbook Painting

Posted by: edude03

Titanium Powerbook Painting - 08/28/06 06:36 PM

Hello evveryone,
I would really like acarbon Titanium powerbook.
I know of colorware, However, they don't paint titaniums. Besides, they charge nearly half the price of the laptop for painting  mad

Anyway, I have no painting skils so is their anywere in canada that can do it, (more like in the gta) for a resonable price? Is it possible to coar it against sratching?

I'm new to this type of stuff
Thanks,
Mchael
Posted by: maestro

Re: Titanium Powerbook Painting - 09/15/06 10:35 AM

I suggest going to a local auto paint shop.  Just take the case parts and have em spray your choice.  Im guessing it would be a fair price.  If you prep and prime it, that would save you even more bucks.  The cost is usually based on the paint, not the labor.
Posted by: modyourmac

Re: Titanium Powerbook Painting - 11/07/06 05:40 PM

I can say from experience that painting a Ti-Book is a royal pain. I built and painted one a pearl yellow last year for my sister. masking was not the most fun ever.

As far as a carbon fiber look, I suppose its possible, but I dont know for sure. While auto shops are a good idea, you might hunt around for local custom airbrush artists. Someone with a good airbrush hand should be able to simulate carbon fiber.

As far as scratches go, make sure that whoever does your work clearcoats it with a good automotive clear. When polished, it'll be shiny, and should protect any artwork.
Posted by: Qtip42

Re: Titanium Powerbook Painting - 11/11/06 06:13 PM

I paint laptops, cases, etc for a living but it's mainly to local people and businesses in Oregon.

Colorware is a joke as far as pricing goes.  Autobody shops don't typically paint small stuff but I'm sure you can talk someone into it.  You'd be required to take the thing apart and you'd also have to either tell them where they need to mask the parts or mask them yourself.  The reason I mention that is laptops have very little tolerance for paint.  So you add a few millimeters of paint on and some parts might not fit like they used to.  So you really need to be vigilant as far as finding the tight spots where thick paint might chip off later.