Cracking Al Book display?

Posted by: etytomic

Cracking Al Book display? - 09/29/05 03:55 PM

I've got a 1.5 GHz Powerbook. and I think the display cable needs to be reseated (and I want to change the Apple color).

I'm trying to find a guide that details how to open that display case. I know about the one for the 12 in here on the site (and the detailed version on his site) but I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong...especially as things don't seem to be going as smoothly as he says...

Any links you could direct me to? The .pdf that details dismantling (Apple version) and the other set from pbfixit.com don't tell me what I need.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Cracking Al Book display? - 09/29/05 04:01 PM

Lo, and behold!

http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Cracking Al Book display? - 09/29/05 04:08 PM

whitlock wrote:
Quote:

And whitlock said, "let there be Google!" And there was Google. Yea, verily, thusly, whitlock saw Google, and said it was tight.

Re:Cracking Al Book display? - 09/29/05 04:17 PM

Alas that doesn't detail cracking the display case and I've been googling for a number of hours to no avail...closest I have is the 12 in one here on the site and it isn't very detailed.
Posted by: JediJoker7169

Re:Cracking Al Book display? - 09/29/05 04:24 PM

Have you searched for "Coloring Your PowerBook Apple?" There is a page that I don't remember the URL for that has just what you need.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Cracking Al Book display? - 09/29/05 06:32 PM

Sorry about that etytomic, I thought they updated their site with those instructions over 6 months ago.

Well, since they don't have it, Apple was kind enough to make their repair guides with that information. I did bother checking this site, and downloaded the appropriate PDF to make sure there were instructions on opening the display housing. They are in here, I assure you, but the download is slower than hell.

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html
Posted by: maestro

Re:Cracking Al Book display? - 09/30/05 01:22 AM

Question. Are you sure you need to open the LCD case. In my experience, the wires come out of the LCD and plug into the logic board. I dont have a powerbook though, so I may be wrong.
-maestro

Re:Cracking Al Book display? - 09/30/05 08:45 AM

Sadly I was hoping it would be the wires...but I was told that it was the LCD (some hints to that were found online and I chose to ignore them) so now I'm spending $700 to get it repaired.

In an attempt to get money I'm going to sell a Sawtooth Tower and a Wallstreet Powerbook I have...but should I sell as parts or in their entirety? Which will get me more money...ideas?
Posted by: shadowboxer47

Re:Cracking Al Book display? - 09/30/05 09:44 AM

I would definitely try to sell everything as a whole before you strip it down for parts.