ibook clamshell shell questions!

Posted by: smerko

ibook clamshell shell questions! - 09/01/05 04:08 AM

hi, i need some guidance! basically i have just bought a blueberry ibook clamshell but would like to modify the shell maybe to transparent or another color. i.e.

i have read that i cannot strip the paint of this ibook because the white colour of it is through the plastic? as such i will have to try and get a shell that allows for this. i have heard that the tangarine ibook is the only one that can do this to or can the later ibooks be stripped also? basically what ones allow for this?

regarding the coloured parts of the ibook i.e. hinge covers, battery cover etc can these be made transparent on any ibook clamshell or do i have to buy transparent bits? i pretty want the entire thing to be see-through until i choose a paint colour! thanks in advance smile

Post edited by: smerko, at: 2005/09/01 11:12
Posted by: krusher117

Re:ibook clamshell shell questions! - 09/01/05 04:48 AM

Hey check out Antonio's mod that he submitted to the challenge this year. It might have some useful information in it for you.

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/351/101/

Re:ibook clamshell shell questions! - 09/01/05 05:33 AM

thanks for that was a good read but his clamshell was transparent to begin with? :S
Posted by: krusher117

Re:ibook clamshell shell questions! - 09/01/05 07:05 AM

oh sorry....lol...some help i am :P
Posted by: Antonio

Re:ibook clamshell shell questions! - 09/01/05 09:06 AM

smerko wrote:
Quote:
thanks for that was a good read but his clamshell was transparent to begin with? :S

Nope. None were transparent to begin with.
They all have a lining which makes them opaque.

You'll need to remove it to make them transparent. To get at it, you'll need to completely gut the machine.
As for the colour; it's the plastic. I don't know if the tangerine is any different, but I doubt it.

That said, it's tranparent colour, so painting under it would change it ( ie: if you paint red under the transparent blue, the resulting colour at the surface would be magenta to violet, depending on the red used ).

Hope that helps smile
Posted by: Antonio

Re:ibook clamshell shell questions! - 09/01/05 09:09 AM

BTW, that iBook in your photo isn't perfectly clear.
If you look closely, you'll see it's a Graphite SE model.

Re:ibook clamshell shell questions! - 09/01/05 09:36 AM

Quote:

Nope. None were transparent to begin with.
They all have a lining which makes them opaque.

You'll need to remove it to make them transparent. To get at it, you'll need to completely gut the machine.

oh right... B) this lining is it paint or plastic i.e. is it the same idea as the g3/g4 ibook where it comes off with 90%+ alcohol or similar? the machine will have to be gutted anyways as i believe it needs a new dc-in board - its currently a sick ibook.

Quote:

As for the colour; it's the plastic. I don't know if the tangerine is any different, but I doubt it.

damm so im stuck with a bluberry coloured ibook then laugh unless as you say i paint under it which would give a diffrent colour to that intended! hmmmm......

anyways another shot of that 'transparent' ibook
see what i don't get is how is the bottom transparent!? if you look here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-Mac-G3-300MH...1QQcmdZViewItem the bottom of my ibook is blueberry. im pretty sure i have read this can't be changed so either some models have their panels painted or he has an aftermarket part no?

:blink:
Posted by: driftin

Re:ibook clamshell shell questions! - 09/01/05 01:04 PM

the "color" (blue, tangering, graphite...) can't be removed, it's in the plastic (more like rubber), but under the plastic is a metal sheilding that can be removed giving the white areas a translucent look so you can see the insides...
Posted by: Tayklor

:reallyconfused: - 07/10/06 08:30 AM

You Could make a new case

Maybe?smile