Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically)

Posted by: JediJoker7169

Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically) - 08/14/05 05:59 PM

GODDAMN THESE THINGS GET SO HOT!!! So here's the question: how should I cool it? Externally? Internally? Both? The fan sucks (or blows, depnding on which way you're looking at my machine), the feet are too short, and my desk is made of wood. I use it as my mobile and desktop computer, so even a cooling method that would only work for the desk would be fine, but I need one. And fast. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who will find this important. So give me your thoughts here in the forum or email them to: [*]jedijoker7169@aim.com
Posted by: TJH

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically) - 08/15/05 12:25 AM

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75004

Tons of other options out there too. (http://www.google.com/search?q=laptop+cooler)

If you want some reviews: http://www.tomshardware.com/firstlook/20040322/index.html

or you could build your own in the name of modding smile
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically) - 08/15/05 03:08 AM

TJH is pretty much right on. If you want your 12" Aluminum to operate cooler, the easiest option is a laptop pad that has a fan. The other simple option is to go into energy saver and reduce the processor speed.

The internals of the 12" are rather basic, there's a heat sink assebly that runs across the logic board, up to the top, center of the machine. This heat sink assembly is part of the fan assembly, and makes contact with the magnesium sub assembly at several points, which makes contact with the bottom case.

The reality is that the whole machine is technically a heat sink. the case is used to bleed heat. The trade off for having a small fast machine, is that it gets warm, but that means that it is actually working. Agreed, it'd be nice if it were cooler, but there's just no room inside to add fans, or a heat ducting assembly.

So, yes. Check out all the different cooling pads on the market and pick one you like. It'll most likely be your best bet.

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically - 08/15/05 05:54 PM

I think I've pretty much decided to give building my own cooling pad a try, and I'll put some research into that. I was thinking of a solid aluminum lower case and a meshed upper case, with 2 internal fans controlled separately, and maybe I'll try to build my BookEndz dock into it. But does anyone already know of good places (online or in the San Francisco Bay Area) to get raw aluminum? I know I can probably get the electronics fairly cheaply at Fry's in Palo Alto, but the aluminum I'm not so sure about. Even just a hint of a clue of knowledge of a place to get it would be most appreciated.

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically - 08/21/05 12:45 PM

I think that along with the docking station, I'll build my external hard drive into it. Is that a good idea? To have all my stuff in one confined space? I'm not sure it's a good idea, but it would be convenient.
Posted by: whitlock

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically - 08/22/05 01:08 AM

Just make sure you watch the heating inside your pad if you install a HDD into it.

/assuming it's a 3.5" External HDD

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12\" Specifically - 08/22/05 09:30 AM

Yes, it's a 3.5". So should I install a temp gauge somewhere in the thing? And I still need to know where to get aluminum to work with. I have no ideas and I've tried Google, but it seems to mostly bring up unhelpful stuff.

Post edited by: JediJoker7169, at: 2005/08/24 13:43

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12\" Specifically - 11/07/05 06:25 PM

I bit the bullet. Literally. It was hard and nasty. The Targus Notebook ChillHub is lightweight, portable, and quiet, though... Strange that I didn't see any reviews for it while I was searching for pads. Is it a new product? Anyway, it's great. I found it with a bunch of VAIO stuff at Fry's in Palo Alto. I can't believe they got rid of their Apple aisle, unless they just moved it to some obscure place... I didn't bother to search. My CPU temperature has never been better, and rarely does the noisy built-in fan kick in while using the Targus. I'd definitely recommend it.

Post edited by: JediJoker7169, at: 2005/11/08 19:19
Posted by: darkmanx

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically) - 11/07/05 10:59 PM

Before you build anything, i am using a block of marble (well i think it is: heavy, funny pattern could be faux marble).

But i got a piece machined down to about 1inch thick and just a bit bigger than my brothers aluminium 15" powerbook and that thing runs colder than anything else.

The marble is increadibly dense and so any heat displaced into it is just absorbed, it would take a massie furnace to heat that stuff up.

Just an idea might be cheaper than biulding your own laptop pad.
Posted by: macDeviant

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically - 11/08/05 01:33 AM

Just a word of advice.. Don't buy the antec cooler pad. i bought one and as soon as i took it out fo the box i knew it wouldn't work with my powerbook. the antec model uses induction fans, the cylinder looking kind. any how, when i put my 'book on top of it. it closed off the air supply to the fans, making it usless and noisy. instead of trying to suck hot air away from the bottom it should've been made to blow fresh cool air to the bottom. counter-intuitive design always makes me giggle.

currently i have the backend of my 'book propped up on some case feet. and two 80mm fans blowing fresh air underneath the 'book. it still gets a little warm under heavy rednedering in final cut pro, but never hot enough to worry

macdeviant

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12\" Specifically - 11/08/05 11:23 AM

Targus Notebook ChillHub

It works by keeping a constant airflow going under the machine, sucking air in from all sides, and blowing it out the back. Great design, and it was only $50 at Fry's.

Post edited by: JediJoker7169, at: 2005/11/08 22:02
Posted by: soundmann18

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically - 11/08/05 07:36 PM

the one that I made of acrylic cost me around 30-35, but that was for the full sheet of acrylic out of which i could make 4-5, and not counting my 4 port USB hub, which I already had. it's in the forums here

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically - 11/08/05 08:48 PM

How quiet is yours? This one's barely noticeable.

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically - 11/09/05 04:43 AM

If' i'm playing music or got the a/c on, I can't hear it, but if it's quite in the room, i hear it. But the slider on the right controlls the voltage to the fans, so I can quite it down if i want.

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12\" Specifically - 11/09/05 10:25 AM

Congratulations, then. If I built one, it would "need to" match my color scheme, though, and so I think I would "have to" go with aluminum instead of acrylic.

Post edited by: JediJoker7169, at: 2005/11/09 18:26

Re:Improving Cooling for AlBooks (12" Specifically - 11/09/05 02:03 PM

Yeah - agreed, but my color is the glowing blue wink