The Apple on the TiBook

Posted by: ikim1213

The Apple on the TiBook - 07/09/05 07:38 AM

Forgive if I missed something, but I tried looking for this in the MacMod forums but still can's find anything on changing the Apple logo on a TiBook.

Any guidance?
Posted by: maestro

Re:The Apple on the TiBook - 07/09/05 09:41 AM

What is it exactly that you want to change?
-maestro
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:The Apple on the TiBook - 07/09/05 06:25 PM

I don't think we have actually come across a ti book application yet. You can have a look at the albook 12.1

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/52/2/

IIRC, the tibook has torx screws along the edges like the ibook, so it may be better to use an ibook guide as a reference. You can have a look in the mod guides section to find more guides.

Also, you should make a mod guide for this when you do it for future modders. Remeber to take plenty of pics.
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:The Apple on the TiBook - 07/11/05 04:09 AM

Okay. there's two easy ways to do this, and a hard way. The first easy way is not to. The lid assembly of the Ti is a sealed part. When I say sealed, I mean sealed with epoxy. Its not designed to come apart. Apple ships them as finished pieces, and many techs wont take them apart, simply because its a horrid bit of work. So, first option, fergit about it.

Second option. get some airbrush masking paper or film, an x-acto knife, and some transparent color glass stain. Mask the logo, cut out the shape and peel away the inner bits, leaving the apple exposed and the case protected. then, using a sable tip watercolor brush, apply several coats of the stain. Once dry, remove the mask, and bask in your colored logo.

Option three, take apart your entire machine to get the screen removed from the rest of the unit. remove the front bezel assembly without bending or crimping it (super hard) remove rest of guts from display housing. then put a piece of colored acetate behind the apple logo. then put everything back, and glue it all back together, holding the case together with c-clamps. Wait several days for the glue to cure, and you might be good.

Overall, I'd not recommend the third option. Its a lot of pain and suffering, for what some would consider a minor mod. If you simply cant live without a colored apple, go with option two, much less suffering. Hope this helps!
Posted by: ikim1213

Re:The Apple on the TiBook - 07/11/05 05:45 AM

But what if the pattern I want is not plain colour, but a more colourful one?

And how come the iBook seems to be easier to mod than the Ti? What's different?
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:The Apple on the TiBook - 07/11/05 05:59 AM

Okay, if you want something more impressive than a solid color, then its up to you to come up with a brilliant idea for making it happen. As is obvious, the best part of some mods isnt because it's easy, but because it's hard. My main point is that some things can be considered too hard in terms of their aesthetic return.

As to whats different between the ibooks and the Ti's, uh, everything. Literally. iBooks are encased in plastic, where as the ti's are a combination of metal and plastic. The iBooks have shells that come off easier, making them easier to prep, paint, and clearcoat, whereas the ti's are more complex due to the nature of their assemby and construction. the ti's by nature, do not lend well to modding, in my experience. The few that I've done were by far, more work than any iBook I've ever painted, just because of their construction. Hence why iBooks seem to get modded more often. But thats my experience.