Best paint remover for quicksilver case

Posted by: Edgefox

Best paint remover for quicksilver case - 02/07/05 04:26 PM

I was wondering what everyone uses to get the paint off of the side and top panels of a quicksilver. I tried 99% isoprpyl alcohol which worked for the sides but is expensive and pretty slow, and some 3m mild paint thinner(stripper) which was also slow and seemed ot barely work.
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Best paint remover for quicksilver case - 02/07/05 04:39 PM

did you soak them in the solution? It helps to let them sit in it for an hour or so. You can try 70% isopropyl, but it doesn't work nearly as well.

maybe gasoline?

Post edited by: oojacoboo, at: 2005/02/08 00:40
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Best paint remover for quicksilver case - 02/07/05 06:39 PM

an alcohol bath is the most popular way of doing it. i actually haven't heard of anyone using anything else. if you let it soak in the alcohol for a while (30 mins) you should be able to pretty much wipe it off. I have only used 99.9% but i know most people use off-the-shelf 70% (or something like that) from walmart and that seems to work for them. The secret is in the soak....just be patient
Posted by: Edgefox

Re:Best paint remover for quicksilver case - 02/07/05 08:22 PM

Thanks just realized I posted this in the laptop case mods , oops.

yeah for the record definitely stear clear of the 3m safe stripper

Post edited by: edgefox, at: 2005/02/09 14:44
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Best paint remover for quicksilver case - 02/08/05 02:07 AM

Check out the latest mod guide
http://macmod.com/content/view/221/1/
it may help
Posted by: modyourmac

Re:Best paint remover for quicksilver case - 02/08/05 02:45 AM

I too subscribe to the alcohol method. A lot of solvents such as paint thinner will fog the plastic when it dries, and then its off to scrub it clean with 600 grit sandpaper. Yuck!

I use a large rubbermaid tub, 6 large bottles of the 90% alcohol from the drugstore, and a Black & Decker Scum Buster. Just fill the tub, put the shell in, and let it sit for about 20 minutes. then strip off the silver crap with the SB. Once you've gotten some off, let it soak for a while longer, and repeat. Usually, it takes about 45 minutes to get a shell entirely clean.

Anyway, thats how I do it. I'm sure I'm not far off from most others.