Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ...

Posted by: six_of_one

Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 11:22 AM

Bush makes surprise Thanksgiving visit to Baghdad ...<br><br>Regardless how you feel about the man, this was a pretty classy move, if you ask me =)<br><br>Happy Thanksgiving everybody!<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...
Posted by: djstefan

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 11:41 AM

Did anyone say PROPAGANDA!?!?!@?<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 11:50 AM

He was here in Vegas 2 days ago. He must really have some jet lag by now <br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 12:16 PM

that's pretty damn cool. <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 12:16 PM

what? Oh please...whatever. Have a good thanksgiving.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 12:17 PM

Thats the Turkey he just pardon<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 12:30 PM

It's still a gutsy move, whether or not you like the guy. Would you have done it, knowing there are many people there that wanted to kill you?<br><br>You may condemn his other actions, but I don't think you can condemn this one.<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 12:35 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Would you have done it, knowing there are many people there that wanted to kill you?<p><hr></blockquote><p>and that's just the Americans!<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 12:39 PM

The terrorist must be eating "Crow" for missing that oppotunity.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 01:06 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> and that's just the Americans! <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>LMAO!<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 01:07 PM

Well, you could look at it that way ... or, since there was virtually no publicity about the trip until it was over, and so far no huge fanfare after, you could see it as a pretty classy gesture ...<br><br>Up to you ;-)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 01:09 PM

Since it's you guys thanks giving, I wont comment on that. Have a happy TG! :)<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>
Posted by: cherry

I'm sorry - 11/27/03 01:13 PM

How do you say: a little too little, a little too late.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 01:25 PM

It's too bad that you can't see anything as a good will gesture instead of always politcizing it.<br><br>

Re: I'm sorry - 11/27/03 01:42 PM

Jeez, give the guy *some* credit for doing a good thing here ...<br><br>=P<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 02:03 PM

In politics, there are no real gestures of good will. There is only gain or loss but no pitty.<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>
Posted by: sross

Re: I'm sorry - 11/27/03 02:29 PM

Maybe folks should be showing you the same "sensitivity" to your posts as you have to the GI's who were absolutely thrilled. <br> Happy Thanksgiving.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 02:56 PM

I would hate to live with your amount of cynisim or however it's spelled.<br><br>

Re: I'm sorry - 11/27/03 02:57 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Happy Thanksgiving.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Did you notice the subject line? This is my opinion. I am not personally attacking anyone. In my opinion, for what it is worth, I do not think this gesture can correct the lie that brought the GI's there in the first place. If you want to argue, I am not going to, because I know the truth. If you want to speak ill of me, go ahead. I am often saying far worse things anyway.<br><br>

News flash ... - 11/27/03 03:01 PM

Political gain and goodwill don't have to be mutually exclusive - it's possible to so something that is both politically advantageous and the "right" thing to do ...<br><br>Kind of sad that you apparently can't recognize that =P<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: I'm sorry - 11/27/03 03:08 PM

I do not think this gesture can correct the lie ...<br><br>Who said it was supposed to "correct" anything? I'm anything but a Bush fan, but at least I can give the man credit where credit is due ...<br><br>BTW, nobody knows "the truth" about anything ...<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:09 PM

Only you. <br><br>(what a surprise)<br><br>

Re: I'm sorry - 11/27/03 03:12 PM

Not to fight.<br><br>I am not going to, because I know the truth<br><br>NO ONE HERE KNOWS THE TRUTH<br><br>We all don't read the shiit that Bush reads and we are certainly not, in with the inner circle of that administration.<br><br>Simply the internet and the media they them selves are FAR from the truth.<br><br>Bottom Line:<br>Not unless you are top level in the Bush administration - you know nothing of the truth <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:13 PM

Well John, let me tell you something you might not be familiar with. The White House has Script (scenario) writers. They pretty much write possible scripts for the politicians which are similar to movies. These writers are some of the best to.<br>When a politician, specially the president, goes somewhere, does something or says a couple of words, they are all out of these scripts. I know who one of these script writers is. <br>Some scripts are propaganda oriented, others business oriented and so on..... <br>Now, if you still want to think that Bush just jumped into his jet and setsailed to Baghdad cause he just felt like it, you are wellcome to. <br>The way I see it, he was advised to go to Baghdad and was given a whole list of positive propaganda oriented facts this trip would bring back to him. The list that is usually given to him consists of both, positive elements and negative elements well described in 1 to 10 pages. Sometimes, a lot more.<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:17 PM

I agree. That must have cheered the troops up a bit. It was a nice gesture. <br><br>

Re: I'm sorry - 11/27/03 03:25 PM

Amen, Matt.<br>On the other hand, I've never been that up close to someone who actually knew the "truth." <br>............except maybe my Mom.<br><br>
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:31 PM

Yeah, I'm not a President Bush fan at all and I still think it was a classy move. Sure, you can argue political motives and propaganda all you want, but all in all, you can't say it didn't make the soldiers day.<br><br>-Matt<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:33 PM

heheh..I think I saw that movie too djstefan but I can't remember it all like you do! Remember, it was JUST a movie, not real life!<br><br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:38 PM

Well, DJ, let me tell you something. I don't know who this "script writer" whom you claim to know is. But I suspect he lives in the same general location of your head. And I will only say that it's a damp, dark place. Any more detail than that and I might blow your cover.<br><br>

For f-ck's sake! - 11/27/03 03:40 PM

So I have used the wrong word! No, I do not claim to know the absolute "truth" of the matter. What am was trying to say was, I know what we were told was not true. Not that I would know whole story. <br><br>I do not think anything will ever be "corrected"<br><br>RESET<br><br>a little too little, a little too late...<br><br>MY OPINION!<br><br>...and to think I was started to really like it "here"<br>Now I know, I can not speak freely. I'll take the piss then–<br>goodbye<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:40 PM

Somebody's been reading too many Tom Clancy books (or having them read to him).<br><br>

Last Post - 11/27/03 03:42 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I've never been that up close to someone who actually knew the "truth." <p><hr></blockquote><p>Skew You! I did not know my words were on egg shells.<br><br>Happy day to you too.<br><br>

Re: Last Post - 11/27/03 03:48 PM

Cherry<br>Its not against you personally.<br><br>Just the words<br>Let the words fight themselves - keep the personalities out.<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:48 PM

I think you guys just bought in this smart move from GWB. It was a dangerous move, but it was worth it, because the general public was it's target more than the GI's. I'm repeating it was a smart move, but I doubt it was his idea, I have to agree with DJ that it's probably coming from his advisors, who are looking for good publicity in every way they can.<br><br>[color:green]One man's compost is another man's potpourri.</font color=green>

Re: For f-ck's sake! - 11/27/03 03:51 PM

Let's see if I understand your post: If you feel threatened, or misunderstood, then this "place" just isn't your cup of tea?<br>My goodness, everyone should take notice that you are here with one foot out the door and nobody better piss you off or yawn.<br>I guess I better leave too, because I think I have been challenged more than a few times.<br>If your skin is that thin......<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:53 PM

what? What DJ said and what you just now said are 2 different things..he thinks someone wrote a script...hehe.<br><br>I disagree...I think that he went over to help the moral of the troops. <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:54 PM

Ivan<br><br>Its called "Campaigning" <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:54 PM

Point being: even if it was scripted, even if it was a crass political maneuver, it still happened to be a stand-up thing to do ...<br><br>So ya gotta give him props for at least combining the two ...<br><br>;-)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Last Post - 11/27/03 03:56 PM

Cherry,<br>you come off as someone who "knows the truth is out there" ala X-Files. While that's your opinion, that's fine...but when you post them, you better expect some rebuttal! Otherwise, yeah..don't say anything then you don't have to worry about your "words being eggshell"<br><br>I give it a day..she'll be back. And she's welcome back..just don't go thinking that you can post what you want without some commentary from others!<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:56 PM

Nicely put, Matt.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 03:57 PM

Ivan, this was an unprecedented and extremely risky move. Of course his advisors were part of this. These things are not just spontaneously tossed on the table and acted on by one lone cowboy. And of course there is a fair amount of PR value in it. But Bush did not have to agree to go. And this was an enormous boost to the moral of the troops over there.<br><br>As others have said, he's not my ideal president, but this was a courageous and very empathetic thing for him to do. For once, put your knee down and take something at it's face value.<br><br>

Re: For f-ck's sake! - 11/27/03 03:59 PM

...and to think I was started to really like it "here"<br>Now I know, I can not speak freely. I'll take the piss then–<br>goodbye<br><br>At what point were you prevented from speaking freely? Unless, of course, you mean "speak freely without others disagreeing with me", which might be an ureasonable expectation ...<br><br>It would be too bad if you decided to leave just because we don't agree on something ...<br><br>Oh well, I hope you stay anyways =)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 04:01 PM

yes, I also give him credit for this.<br><br>even the Iraqis did as far as CNN concerned <br><br>[color:green]One man's compost is another man's potpourri.</font color=green>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 04:02 PM

Good nite guys! :)<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 04:03 PM

What? I think even dubya knows damn well that visiting the troops won't necessarily get him re-elected. Maybe bringing them home real soon might (and even that's a stretch). No, I think showing his troops some support — up close and personal — was topmost on his agenda.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 04:05 PM

you meant "sweet dreams" too, if I'm not mistaken <br><br>[color:green]One man's compost is another man's potpourri.</font color=green>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 04:06 PM

Does a Grinch ever have sweet dreams!?!? :()<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 04:08 PM

burning xmas trees, and exploding gift boxes <br><br>[color:green]One man's compost is another man's potpourri.</font color=green>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 04:27 PM

I think showing his troops some support — up close and personal — was topmost on his agenda<br><br>Bush should have done that long ago - if to really drive home that point.<br><br>Maybe during Halloween to really scare the troops.<br>The PR machine and the Campaign for the next election - dictated something to be done.<br><br>Thanksgiving was the best time - for the show.<br><br>Still I give him Kudos for going to Iraq.<br>He did not chicken out and go to a base in Kansas, like a democrat would.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 04:38 PM

He did not chicken out and go to a base in Kansas, like a democrat would.<br><br>I guess you missed this about Hilary Clinton spending Thanksgiving in Afghanistan ...<br><br>Their next stop is Iraq, IIRC ... looks like war zones are all the rage this holiday, regardless of political persuasion =)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

What's even more amazing ... - 11/27/03 04:46 PM

... is that he flew there in Air Force One - talk about a flying target!<br><br>I'd love to see a photo of it sitting on the Baghdad tarmac - how surreal would that look?<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...
Posted by: cesrivas

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 05:08 PM

wooowww, bush is the man!!!! <br><br>from www.foxnews.com<br><br><br>Bush Baghdad Trip Kept Top Secret<br>Thursday, November 27, 2003<br><br>ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE — From Texas to Washington to Baghdad , intense secrecy was the trademark of President Bush's unannounced Thanksgiving Day visit to Iraq.<br> <br><br>Secret Service agents guarding his Texas ranch were not told when the president quietly slipped away in an unmarked car, officials said. The agents remained at their posts as Bush was hustled to Air Force One at Texas State Technical College (search), a former military base.<br><br>The plane's departure was explained by the ruse that it needed maintenance in Washington.<br><br>The level of secrecy — the tightest ever in recent memory — was intended to prevent terrorists and Saddam Hussein loyalists from trying to take a shot at the president.<br><br>First lady Laura Bush, preparing a Thanksgiving Day dinner, learned about the trip over the past few weeks, White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan said. The president, when talking by telephone from his ranch with White House chief of staff Andy Card (search), spoke in code words to keep the trip under wraps.<br><br>Bush's daughters, Barbara and Jenna, were not informed until just hours before he left. His parents, former President George H.W. Bush and his wife, Barbara, were not to be told until they arrived for Thanksgiving dinner, White House communications director Dan Bartlett said.<br><br>Bush's trip left several out-of-the-loop aides and even Secret Service agents — who learned about it at the same time as the rest of the world — stunned and a little angry.<br><br>White House aides emphasized the high security risks and said the trip would be abandoned if word leaked out.<br><br>"If this breaks while we're in the air we're turning around," Bartlett said.<br><br>Retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Don Shepperd, a military analyst, said he thought the risks "were absolutely minimal as long as secrecy could be maintained. And obviously all the stops were pulled out to keep this secret."<br><br>Shepperd said other factors lowering the risk were the fact that Bush's plane landed at night, lowering the threat of heat-seeking missiles, and it has the latest available equipment for repelling such attacks.<br><br>"The interesting question would be to know who decided this trip was a good idea," he said. "My guess it was the president himself who decided this was a good idea. But the point is, I think his security people probably almost had a heart attack when it was revealed, because of the risk."<br><br>Bush said with confidence that measures had been taken to ensure his safety and that of others.<br><br>Reporters who accompanied the president were not allowed to reveal Bush's trip until he was back on Air Force One and heading out of Baghdad.<br><br>Only a handful of aides knew in advance; Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was informed last week. Secretary of State Colin Powell also was in the loop, as was national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, officials said. Rice informed her deputy, Stephen Hadley, on Wednesday.<br><br>White House deputy press secretary Claire Buchan didn't know about the trip when she briefed reporters in Crawford on the president's Thanksgiving Day plans.<br><br>Card invited two reporters on the trip Tuesday night on the condition that they keep it secret. Other reporters and photographers were brought into the secret on Wednesday, some of them searched out by White House aides in Texas just hours before the president's departure. In all, the press contingent included five reporters, a television producer and two-member camera crew, and five still photographers.<br><br>Bush made the 45-minute ride from the ranch to the airport in an unmarked vehicle. He joked about encountering traffic for the first time in three years, Bartlett said. Usually the president's motorcade speeds through red lights and traffic jams.<br><br>Bartlett said Bush's ranch departure couldn't have been detected. "If you were sitting outside the ranch waiting for the president, you would not have known the president had just left," he said.<br><br>The president stopped at Andrews Air Force Base (search) outside Washington to change planes and pick up some aides.<br><br>The switch took place in a huge hangar where the transfer was hidden from view. Bush underscored the secrecy. Standing at the top of his plane's steps at Andrews, Bush ordered reporters not to break telephone silence. He held his thumb and little finger to his face as if talking on the phone, and mouthed the words, "No calls, got it?"<br><br>He emphasized the point by slashing his hand in front of his throat and again mouthing "no calls." His order was unnecessary.<br><br>Reporters and photographers who had accompanied him from Texas were asked to take the batteries out of their phones. The reporters who joined in Washington after gathering at a hotel near the base were taken in an unmarked van to Air Force One's hangar. They were ordered to surrender their cell phones, pagers and other electronic devices, stashing them in yellow manilla-sized envelopes held by security officials until the plane was airborne.<br><br>Passengers were ordered to keep the plane's window blinds closed throughout the flight and were told that the aircraft would be flying in radio silence and would not be identified by its usual call sign, "Air Force One."<br><br>"People on the ground do not know this is Air Force One landing," Bartlett said.<br><br>The airport in Baghdad was blackened and Air Force One, once on the ground, could not be seen. Bush's motorcade traveled from the plane to the mess hall with lights out on most vehicles. <br><br>cesar ι um cara muito chato, por que ele sempre fica barulhando.

Re: What's even more amazing ... - 11/27/03 05:22 PM

I just saw the video on French TV with bush in Bahgdad. Even the kids from the force that were in there didn't seem too happy to see him. I even thaught I would see on of them jumpin on him. <br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: What's even more amazing ... - 11/27/03 05:24 PM

Not that French TV would be biased in any way. Oh nonononononono. Heaven forbid! <br><br>

Re: What's even more amazing ... - 11/27/03 05:32 PM

French TV? please...they love us! (roll eyes) <br><br>Come on...quit spewing this garbage! (not you steve..sorry, meant to DJ)<br><br>

Re: What's even more amazing ... - 11/27/03 05:33 PM

They were actually trying to make him look good!!! LOL<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: What's even more amazing ... - 11/27/03 05:35 PM

Sure they were. They use the same"scriptwriters" as the White House, right? *cough*<br><br>

Re: What's even more amazing ... - 11/27/03 05:55 PM

do you have a cold? <br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: What's even more amazing ... - 11/27/03 06:01 PM

No. Just a PIA.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 07:14 PM

This isn't addressed to you, Matt--yours just happen to be the first post in the thread.<br><br>Seems to me that what we got here in all the responses is a general intolerance of ambiguity. I'm the first one who likes to thin in either/or terms, but mst of life works in both/and terms. Yes it was a gutsy, classy, morale building move. And yes it was all the cynical stuff too--self-interested, with an eye to re-election, in the same ball park as the carrier-landing (heck of a big ball park, eh? ). As Oscar Wilde says in The Importance of Being Ernest, "the truth is rarely pure and never simple." <br><br> My name is yoyo. Nice to meet you.
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 07:40 PM

and did you spend your Thanksgiving in the confort of your home or on the fronts lines of a war with the men and women who are keeping your home safe for you and your family?<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 08:09 PM

your post almost seems to imply that iraq was and still is a danger to us. <br><br>happy thanksgiving all.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/27/03 11:21 PM

Well, it certainly is to the troops stationed there ...<br><br>It occurs to me that an unstated reason for going into Iraq might have been to turn it into a "terrorist magnet" - offering an easier target for terrorists to go after than the continental US ...<br><br>In that respect the invasion of Iraq - regardless of how you feel about its legitimacy - has probably made the US a safer place than before ...<br><br>Anyways, I agree that Iraq and Saddam posed not nearly the threat portrayed by the administration before the invasion ...<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...
Posted by: squareman

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 02:30 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>In that respect the invasion of Iraq - regardless of how you feel about its legitimacy - has probably made the US a safer place than before ...<p><hr></blockquote><p>Gotta say that I've been watching this thread and have to say that the two polar opposites in this argument are both getting some things right. Yes, what Bush did is something that is decent, of course, he could have shown his support long ago by making an appearance earlier (even Cheney has popped over there only once), but at least he did it on a family holiday while the troops are away from theirs. But I must disagree with you Matt on your statement above. The longer we are involved in military actions in the Middle East, the more I am sure we will see attempts of terrorism on American soil. Violence only begets more violence. <br><br>I was thinking about this today, in my lifetime (born in 1968), for each year a Republican has been President, more people have been killed (whether our own troops or the people they're shooting) in the name of "American interests" than while a Democrat was in office. Granted, that's only about a 1/3 of my lifetime, and yet it's the "liberals" that are bringing this country to hell? I don't get it.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 02:44 AM

But I must disagree with you Matt on your statement above. The longer we are involved in military actions in the Middle East, the more I am sure we will see attempts of terrorism on American soil. Violence only begets more violence.<br><br>And I largely agree with that statement. I was limiting mine to the specific case of the war in Iraq potentially drawing would-be terrorists away from attacking the US and going for easier targets in that country ... if that be the case, I'm sure you would agree that the US would be a safer place than not in that regard ...<br><br>However, I am against the reasons we went to war in the first place, and am in total agreement that US actions in the Middle East probably do far more harm than good ...<br><br>As for elephants or donkeys causing the most mayhem, that's a fruitless line of thought, IMHO, as they both have to cooperate in order to cause that mayhem. For example, you were born just at the end of almost a decade of Democratic presidencies that presided over the horror of Viet Nam and the millions killed during that conflict; and Nixon didn't do a very good job of ending that misery during his term-and-a-half or so ... so there's enough blame to go around ...<br><br>Happy Day After Thanksgiving!<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: News flash ... - 11/28/03 05:10 AM

I agree- I was shocked, amazed, and completely impressed by the president's heart and show of guts yesterday...<br><br>Love him or hate him, this was a heartfelt gesture to the troops overseas, who are missing yet *another* Thanksgiving with their loved ones. <br><br>And I can't stand that some of you would be so cynical to think that it was all for political gain. The amount of risk involved in this situation would not be worth a few extra votes come next November, even if it were to pay off that way. <br><br>On the other hand, what is a SENATOR from New York (with supposedly NO presidential aspirations) doing in Afghanistan meeting with local leaders? Even though I'm probably voting Democrat in '04, this raised an eyebrow with me a lot more than Bush's visit did...<br><br>I may not agree wholeheartedly with the man's decisions lately, but God bless him he's sticking to his guns. And this impromptu visit only tells me that we're in this thing for the long run. <br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 05:10 AM

so was this .. not[/url][url=http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s999838.htm]<br><br>-----------------------------------------------------------------<br> "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." <br>-----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 05:17 AM

Terrible. Absolutely no debating that. This kind of event sickens me — accidental or deliberate. It is, however, the kind of thing that happens all to often, and not just in areas of on-going conflict. It happens on City streets, in rural and suburban neighborhoods. And in cases like this, the lack of clarity makes it all the more tragic.<br><br>But this has what to do w/Bush's trip?<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 05:43 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The president stopped at Andrews Air Force Base (search) outside Washington to change planes and pick up some aides.<br><br>The switch took place in a huge hangar where the transfer was [color:red]hidden from view</font color=red>. <br><br>The airport in Baghdad was blackened and [color:red]Air Force One, once on the ground, could not be seen</font color=red>.<p><hr></blockquote><p>So the whole thing was actually staged in a huge hangar at Andrews AFB, just like all those landings on the moon!<br><br>OK, now don't take me too seriously here, got it? <br><br>And they say turkeys can't fly. Ha. <br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 05:56 AM

just rather takes the gloss off it a bit<br><br>-----------------------------------------------------------------<br> "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." <br>-----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 06:15 AM

How? Did Bush tell those GI's to shoot the kid? Why does Bush's gesture have to be conditional? Why is it seemingly mandatory to rain on every parade that passes by?<br><br>And since when is war — or anything remotely related to it — glossy?<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 06:33 AM

"And since when is war — or anything remotely related to it — glossy?"<br><br>When you experience it through the eyes of the press/media and not from a soldiers!<br><br>

the truth is out there... - 11/28/03 06:44 AM

Re: 'you come off as someone who "knows the truth is out there" ala X-Files.'<br><br>Have you been peeking in my hard drive? <br><br>You ain't getting no truth out of there without an admin password, buddy. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 06:51 AM

That's sad. However I could understand mistaking someone carrying a tree branch for someone carrying a firearm from a distance... <br><br>It's easy for us to judge from our armchairs. The snipers have been disguising themselves as women, etc... This is war. War s~cks. <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 08:03 AM

I am guessing that they first shot a girl cause they thaught she had a fire-arm, and then when they realized their mistake, they had to shoot the other girl as she had seen everything. <br>This just shows the stress that the soldiers are under every second of the day there. You don't know who is who anymore, and you have no idea where the next bullet is going to come from.<br>In a war, at least you know where to shoot and when and who you are shooting at. In a silent war, you are lost and you have no idea where your ennemy is or who he is. <br>Totally sad though, I just felt a big turn over in my stomack.<br><br>As for attacking Iraq making it more peacefull in the US, hmm, the US has many more ennemies, and how is that protecting your own country when 3/4 of your soldiers are on the other side of the planet. If you want to protect your car, are you going to install the alarm in your neighbor's house? And if your house is going to catch on fire, are the firefighters going to throw water of gas on it?<br><br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

logic? - 11/28/03 08:17 AM

re: 'I am guessing that they first shot a girl cause they thaught she had a fire-arm, and then when they realized their mistake, they had to shoot the other girl as she had seen everything.'<br><br>You really think they shot the other girl because she had seen everything? They turned the girl's body over to the Police. If they were trying to hide anything they wouldn't have done that. Those soldiers must be devastated over what happened. <br><br>I think you watch too many movies. <br><br>

Re: logic? - 11/28/03 08:20 AM

How else would you describe what happened?<br><br>I didn't say that for sure, I just think that might be a way it could have happened. Then again, they might have shot the 2 girls at the same time. Either way, its really sad.<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 08:24 AM

Hey...where would YOU like to fight this war...in your backyard and someone else's? As my Dad told me "Don't go where you can't swim". And as for your armchair soldiering...drive on doing what you do,,,<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 08:27 AM

Once again, what is the reason the US is fighting IRAQ? Who started the fight? Did the UN approve the invasion? <br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: For f-ck's sake! - 11/28/03 08:40 AM

Thanks for the reply to the PM. yawn...<br>I guess you and others were not aware that I am in fact a real-live human being.<br><br>If anyone spoke to me this way in the "real world" I would probably punch them in the face.<br><br>THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD:<br>I say my opinion, you disagree. Rather than ask me why I think this way and have an open discussion, you say I am wrong. You discredit me, you call me "names" and make assumptions. Would it be hard for you to explain the reason why you disagree?<br><br>Yeah "the truth is out there"<br>I am such a fool. Life under the sun is a disappointing waste of time. People are vacant and repulsive. We are choking the earth, we are choking ourselves, we are fooling ourselves. History is bloody, the future is black. People can only hear themselves talking. Things are getting worse. I would hang myself if only I had a rope. Human nature is polluted.<br><br>By the way, what an insightful comment "if your skin is that thin"<br>You must be a freaking genius! Did you figure that out all on your own? Good for you...<br>my secret, there it is~<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 08:43 AM

Now we use humor...the UN! Ever served or supported a UN led mission? Did not think so...well I have and it is alot like this fourm...many good people with many different points of view and everybody wants to lead not serve. Bottom-line: ineffective leadership, communications is crap (food can be OK though!), nothing gets done.<br><br>

what do you think? - 11/28/03 08:45 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Bottom Line:<br>Not unless you are top level in the Bush administration - you know nothing of the truth <p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Did you really think this was what I was implying??<br>It makes me want to say everything horrible I can think of...<br><br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 08:48 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Once again, what is the reason the US is fighting IRAQ? Who started the fight? Did the UN approve the invasion? <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>You have only answered the UN question. What about the other ones?<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:14 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>As for elephants or donkeys causing the most mayhem, that's a fruitless line of thought, IMHO<p><hr></blockquote><p>True. True. Thus why I'm a Libertarian. <br><br>

Re: logic? - 11/28/03 09:26 AM

What are you smoking? And did you forget to light the pipe?<br><br>

Re: For f-ck's sake! - 11/28/03 09:30 AM

Nobody answered your raving little PM.<br>Don't stretch the truth too.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sross on 11/28/03 12:31 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:34 AM

Wish I had all the facts and truth but don't and to that point I am like you...clueless! Got to go now...have to spend the next few days and nights training some men and women who have decided that their actions mean more than just words. Sleep good tonight while someone watches over you someone who is willing to pay for your comfort and freedom. And yes you will say...I did not ask them to, but they are and will despite what you want because they want you and your family to be safe and live in freedom.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:43 AM

I believe he passed that up when he so joyfully moved north.<br><br>

Re: For f-ck's sake! - 11/28/03 09:59 AM

What would jesus do?<br><br>

Re: For f-ck's sake! - 11/28/03 10:04 AM

Did you really think this was what I was implying??<br>It makes me want to say everything horrible I can think of...<br><br>Thats okay I been called just about everything - not unless you have something thats creative and new that I would like to hear <br><br>What would jesus do?<br><br>Apparently nothing so far.<br>If you believe that the Lord controls all the events that happens on this Earth - Then God really does work in mysterious ways.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:09 AM

Actually, I live in a peacefull country which had only 1 war till now, and that was also with the US I belive hundreds of years back. You know what they say, if you don't want crap on your nose, then don't stick it in. I guess the US are up to their neck. <br><br>Good luck on your training! In this forum, you are probably the only guy that can make a difference on this subject by training your guys right and therefore giving them a higher chance of survival in case of such a battle.<br>Have a great one.<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: For f-ck's sake! - 11/28/03 10:11 AM

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha<br>It is almost that i am speaking a foreign language!<br><br>I think I would have said bad things about myself<br><br>WWJD:<br>I am, more or less, an atheist<br><br>

Re: For f-ck's sake! - 11/28/03 10:15 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Apparently nothing so far.<br>If you believe that the Lord controls all the events that happens on this Earth - Then God really does work in mysterious ways. <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Jesus, Satan, Mohamed, Buddah, and a few other fellas are partying up smoking J's and drinking beer and placing betts. For them this is a football match! <br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:21 AM

Actually, I live in a peacefull country which had only 1 war till now, and that was also with the US I belive hundreds of years back.<br><br>True, Canada doesn't hold a candle to the US when it comes to engaging in conflict, but if you think it only had one war, you're deluding yourself ...<br><br>Hmmm .. Let's see:<br><br>War of 1812<br>Boer War<br>World War I<br>World War II<br>Korean War<br><br>Not to mention numerous UN deployments ...<br><br>And those are just off the top of my head ... did they contribute anything to the Falklands campaign?<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:27 AM

Actually, in most of those wars we were just allies to the US. <br><br>We are peacefull people here. We grow our Hemp and smoke it while looking at a nice snowfall. And in Alberta we have almost as much oil as Iraq, so no need to fight over ressources. <br>I think that our new redneck Paul Martin will sell us out big time. <br>Oh well, I always still have a couple places to move to in Europe. <br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:34 AM

did they contribute anything to the Falklands campaign?<br><br>Like the US only gave money I think<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:11 AM

Actually, in most of those wars we were just allies to the US.<br><br>Ummm ... so?<br><br>Actually, in the war of 1812, we were on opposite sides ...<br><br>The Boer War had nothing to do with the US ...<br><br>As a British possession, Canada was involved in both WWI and WWII before the US ...<br><br>And Korea was a UN-mandated police action ... admittedly led by the US, so I'll give you that one ...<br><br>And if they participated in the Falklands war, that of course also had nothing to do with the US ...<br><br>Other UN deployments are probably a mixed bag in that regard ...<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:14 AM

I was thinking about Canada =)<br><br>And I believe the US may have given logistical support, but that was about it ...<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:14 AM

In WW1 and WW2, The US was selling weapons to both sides throught the war before it got involved, which of course boosted the economy in WW2.<br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:19 AM

Hmmmm ... I didn't realize that he US government was selling weapons to any of the Axis powers before the war ...<br><br>I know Lend-Lease was an under-the-table way of supplying Britain, but other than that do you have any links to support this? ...<br><br>And again, what does that have to do with the subject at hand - which was your saying Canada only participated in one war?<br><br>;-)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:34 AM

You are right, Canada PARTICIPATED in a few. Most of the time they were there helping. They have never started a war from my knowledge though. <br>I guess it all comes down to the people running the country. With Paul Martin now, most likely he will send troops to help down in Iraq to which I totally disagree with. <br><br>Coming back to what started the thread, back in the days, the highest power in the army was always up there in the front line first. That was courage and that showed real intentions and showed a reason to die for. If the person who started the war is in the front line, then I understand. But if the people are dying, and the person that started the war is just getting richer and richer, then its a different story. <br>Pres. Bush should have been there on the front line the first day of war. Like a cowered, he went after the war for a few hours and they made a big deal out of it on every channel on TV. And this is the same guy who didn't even finish the army in a peacefull time cause he was to much of a [censored].<br>If I am the president of any country and I send young innocent kids to die, I am going to be there with them on the front line no matter how dangerous it is. My life is not worth more than that kids life I sent of to the front line!<br><br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:39 AM

You are right, Canada PARTICIPATED in a few. Most of the time they were there helping. They have never started a war from my knowledge though.<br><br>Ah. Different thought then =)<br><br>I agree ...<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 12:09 PM

I was thinking about Canada too.<br><br>The longisticts support from the US was via intelligence reports,<br>Satellite images yada yada<br><br>Hmmmm ... I didn't realize that he US government was selling weapons to any of the Axis powers before the war ...<br><br>Not in the way of weapons.<br>The US sold millions of tons of scrap metal to Japan whiched was used for their war machine against China and Korea.<br><br>The US sold millions of cubic yards of Nitrogen gas to the Germans - Which Hitler blaimed the US for the Hindenberg event - Saying that the US could have sold them more Nitrogen.<br><br>Russia although not an axis but later became one.<br>The US Land Least thousands of airplnes like DC 3s, Duce and half "trucks" Artillary pices and manufactoring equiptment.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 12:15 PM

Well, yeah ... but in that respect, many allied countries traded with Axis powers before the war - Including, I would wager, Canada ...<br><br>Raw materials do not = weapons ...<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...
Posted by: Trog

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 12:18 PM

Uggh, I'm on a PC laptop in the basement of my in-laws <br><br>Anyway, just thought I'd stick my 2 cents in here. I also think it was a nice gesture by the president. He didn't have to do it. I just think people read way too much into this sort of thing. It shouldn't matter if a president is a nice guy, or that he's religious, or a recovering alcoholic, etc. Political campaigns just LOVE to use that kind of stuff to sway voters in election years. Its a great way to distract people from what the politician actually does.<br><br>When you think about your leaders you need to use your cold, hard mind, not your heart. Similarly, its great if your lawyer or your doctor is a nice guy/gal but their job is to win the case or save your life. It doesn't do me any good if they show up for my birthday or something; just do your job correctly and I'll be happy enough. Steve Jobs is supposed to be an arrogant, power-hungry jerk, but man is he ever the perfect CEO for Apple!<br><br>In less words, this visit by Bush was nice but it doesn't change anything about his policies. Fix the problems (and quit making more) instead of trying to make yourself appear like a great guy. I can promie that if I was in Iraq I would much rather have him working in Washington or at the U.N. to find a way for me to come home even a day sooner, or even working to prevent something like this from happening again than watching him wave and make dumb jokes to show his "support". I sure wish people would worry less about "character" during an election year and more about a good leader. Do the bad politicians NOT kiss the babies?<br><br>Remember, he's just another public servant we put up on this pedestal to do a job we HOPE is in our best interests. If he makes the proper decsions in Washington little stunts like this aren't necessary to try and make people think he's a swell guy, because frankly, we really shouldn't care.<br><br>Ok, I'm off the soapbox now, you know longer have to pretend to listen. <br><br>Ewww, I gotta get off this HP thing, its sucking my will to use a computer!<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 12:26 PM

Raw materials do not = weapons ...<br><br>With that amount of tonage sold they certainly was not making Datsuns cars.<br>It went into bombs, troop trucks and ship construction. Which the later is nothing but a weapons platform. who knows its just as easy to make weapons from scrap metal.<br><br>Nitrogen to the Germans was a means to harden steel when mixed with other gases. The harden steel was then use for gun barrels for artiliary and other weapons that requiered Harden steel.<br><br>So yes raw materials do not = weapons.<br>It what the end user does with it.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 12:29 PM

In less words, this visit by Bush was nice but it doesn't change anything about his policies.<br><br>Well, of course not - never said it did ;-)<br><br>Aside from that I agree completely with your post - good job, even if it was done on a PC ;-)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 12:32 PM

Well, as I said before, if you take it down to that level, everybody was selling raw materials for weapons to everybody else ... the US was certainly not unique in that respect =)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 12:56 PM

Here is a Cop story:<br>A bad dirty cop goes and arrests a guy with 10lbs of coke then takes the coke and goes to a drug dealer to sell it for him. The Drug dealer sells the coke after which the cop takes the cash and shoots the dealer.<br><br>Story of Iraq:<br> US sells Sadam a few weapons of mass destruction. US takes the money and Sadam takes the weapons while they are both good friends and happy of the deal. All of a sudden sadam changes its trade currency to Euro. Mr Bush comes along and says, well, we spent the money off the weapons and our currency is going down, what should we do. Oh well, lets see, Sadam is a bad guy and we know he has WMD. How do we know it? We kept the receipts!!! Lets take our weapons back and maybe we could have some of his sweet oil while we are at it and we will still look good by the end.<br><br>(oops, Sadam gave the weapons to the USSR and we didn't find anything. Oh well, at least there is the oil!)<br><br>Just a couple bed time stories....<br><br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 03:14 PM

f I am the president of any country and I send young innocent kids to die, I am going to be there with them on the front line no matter how dangerous it is.<br><br>Yeah, that makes sense. <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 03:20 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I always still have a couple places to move to in Europe.<p><hr></blockquote><p>As I recall, you've gloated about how smart you were to move to Canada when that mean old U.S economy supposedly put your store out of business, and now you just sit around smoking your weed and hawking dubious vitamins. <br><br>And now, you brag that if the new Canadian admin spoils your fun, you'll just up and move to another country. Yeah, that'll show 'em! You're one tough cookie, cookie, and I admire your resolve.<br><br>Sheesh! <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 03:21 PM

Seeing a pattern? <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 03:33 PM

Hey, I don't smoke pot! (did years ago) Canadians do. And yes, if I don't like the place, I will leave, the same way I left the states. <br><br>I do not belive in war or any type of fight. I belive that everything can be solved with diplomacy and not weapons. If I feel that the country I am in goes nutts, of course I will leave. I am not a patriot of any sorte, and I belive that media brain washed people will get what they deserve. <br>For now, Canada is my #1 choice, but if things change, I keep my options opened and will not support stupid behavior from a country no matter how much I like it. <br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 03:38 PM

No further questions, yeronner. <br><br>
Posted by: MaxMacDonald

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 04:11 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Hey, I don't smoke pot! (did years ago) Canadians do. And yes, if I don't like the place, I will leave, the same way I left the states. <p><hr></blockquote><p> Yes, all Canadians smoke pot. It's a citizenship requirement.<br><br>(:->p) <br><br>Gadzooks, man! If you can indulge in silly-@ssed generalizations about your current chosen country this easily, no wonder your fellow Americans might be relieved to be rid of you! Nor do I know if it's so cool to be so anti-patriotic; methinks you're actually vehemently patriotic to your own perceived independent spirit.<br><br>Anyway, if the new gov pisses you off so much that you scoot off to seek nirvana elsewhere, perhaps it won't be such a bad thing. And one more point: countries don't act stupid - people do. So good luck finding that elusive cool place worthy of your patronage. Over and out.<br><br>max

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 05:02 PM

As usual, pithy and on the mark, Max. Good post.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 05:07 PM

Thanks, sross! Although I think that in retrospect I was off the mark a bit - entire countries can be every bit as stupid as individuals. History is lousy with stupid countries and their stupid deeds. As is true of the opposite, natch. Cheers!<br><br>max
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 05:34 PM

I just got back from Thanksgiving in Dayton.<br><br>I just have to say I saw this (the President's visit) as the news was breaking. I had chills up my spine, tears in my eyes and pride in my heart. I was so proud of President Bush not acting the roll of Commander in Chief, but actually being the Commander in Chief and being with his troups on Thanksgiving. I was simply blown away.<br><br>It was, by far, the coolest thing I've ever seen a President do.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 05:38 PM

No no matt.You got it all wrong. It's pure propaganda. The whole thing was scripted. Filmed in a cheesy contemporary ranch house in the hollywood hills, and broadcast 10 hours later.<br><br>
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 05:40 PM

LOL! How SILLY of me to be snookered!<br><br>Thanks Steve for keeping me re-educated .. <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 05:42 PM

Any time dood. Any time at all. <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 06:38 PM

You know, I thought all that cheering was staged.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 06:44 PM

Extras. They'll do anything for scale. <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 07:30 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> Coming back to what started the thread, back in the days, the highest power in the army was always up there in the front line first. That was courage and that showed real intentions and showed a reason to die for. If the person who started the war is in the front line, then I understand. But if the people are dying, and the person that started the war is just getting richer and richer, then its a different story. <br>Pres. Bush should have been there on the front line the first day of war. Like a cowered, he went after the war for a few hours and they made a big deal out of it on every channel on TV. And this is the same guy who didn't even finish the army in a peacefull time cause he was to much of a [censored].<br>If I am the president of any country and I send young innocent kids to die, I am going to be there with them on the front line no matter how dangerous it is. My life is not worth more than that kids life I sent of to the front line! <p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Someone has to say it. - 11/28/03 08:03 PM

Junior, you need your hard drive wiped. And your nose, too.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 08:22 PM

I sure thank all, specially Steve, Mat, Max, and Sross for your replies. They were most helpfull to prove my point in this forum to the non-americans about how a TYPICAL american thinks. (ever watch king of the hill?)<br>I have lived in 4 countries and seen about 10. I have been through a civil war in Romania and I know what it means to have bullets flying in front of your window while they show comedy shows about it on American TV.<br>Thanks again guys. This will be a good laugh for us here "Pot head Canadians" on one of our "smoking nites". <br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 08:39 PM

Clue in, pal. I am not an American. And your broad dissing of the Americans in here is equally shallow, if not contemptuously lazy-minded. You're just high on yourself. It doesn't mean jack that you lived in Romania - the very fact that you need to brag about it, as if thereby establishing your impeccable credentials, tells me that you have issues about who you are and where you stand in the world. Outside of my own country's borders, I have visited only Mexico and the States - am I to take it that I am significantly less worldly or aware than you? Poppycock, balderdash and piffle up your yin-yang!<br><br>(:->D)<br><br>I mean, come on. If you have, as you proudly profess, no allegiance to any particular nation, why on earth would you expect anyone to identify with you and nod their heads in agreement regarding your expressed views - particularly the view that notions of nationhood should be disposed of the minute they cause one discomfort? What, we should all just follow your example and pack up, leave our respective countries behind because they've somehow betrayed our preconceived idea of what they stand for, represent? Explain yourself, if you care to...<br><br>max

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:03 PM

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ...<br>I once wrote a song<br>the only song I have ever written<br>it was for my friend Jimi<br>it goes something like this:<br>My name is Jimi, I'm always right<br>repeat 10x<br><br>Fantastic, inset your name, and you will always be right, alright maybe.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:07 PM

I keep my options opened and will not support stupid behavior from a country no matter how much I like it.<br><br>Wow! Milk just came out my nose! And I wasn't even drinking any ;-)<br><br>Do let us know when you find a country that doesn't behave stupidly, won't you? I be sure to hold my breath ...<br><br>;-)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:08 PM

Man, do you just come up with this stuff on the fly, or do you actually invest thought into it?<br><br>;-)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:23 PM

I'm always right<br> I'm always right<br>=====<br>I am so smart S-M-R-T<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:27 PM

A country is run by its media, and not just in America, but in most other countries. Everyone belives what they see and what they hear, because that is what they have known all their life. Americans were just the best example. <br>The media of every country is similar to the different religions. Each and every country has its own "bible" which it tryly belives in. All countries belive their way is the best and the rest of the world should fallow them and read their bible. Some religions are bigger then others, the US is one of the highest ones with most of the power.<br>By the end, none of the religions are right but they have one thing in common, the expansion of their power till there is only 1 left.<br>The game "Rysk" which talks about expansion and human evolution is not over as not enough are seeing the game. Humans have been doing the same mistakes through history and they are doing them as we speak. They started fighting over ressources since the beginnings of known time. They wanted more territory for more ressources. Look at all the wars through history starting from the Neanderthal man. Ressources were always the end reason for practically every war . They were always there and always will be, even in space and after space.<br>Each and every war reflects the average human stage in evolution and the human thinking from that time. By looking at the fact they have a loop factor in common, I am trying to figure out when will humanity be able to break this awefull loop and move on to the next level. A few other species have reached this level already and did pass it. Humanity is so far behind that it is hard to get to a really close frame of time.<br>_________________________________________________<br><br>I am waiting for your name callings for those that didn't understand the above or those who disagree. You oppinion counts. <br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:33 PM

That was so deep that I couldn't understand any of it. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:35 PM

I am rendered speechless by your meandering pseudo-dissertation. You evaded my answer entirely, shoving instead this torrent of gobbledegook across the table at me. Ugh. No thanks.<br><br>When you are ready to explain yourself rather than concoct fantastic fabrications involving mangled words, self-exaltation, mystical level-hopping and the like, get back to me and we'll try again.<br><br>max

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:40 PM

particularly the view that notions of nationhood should be disposed of the minute they cause one discomfort?<br><br>You know, I felt a little iffy today about the state of healthcare in this country...<br><br>That's it!!! We're packing up and moving to Uruguay!!!<br><br>dj, c'mon man. You're basically pissing off about 99.9999999999999% of the forum members here with your 'King of the Hill' comparison. Whether you love Bush or hate his guts, this is STILL the greatest place to live in the world (no offense to our neighbors to the north), IMO. And just because one half-wit slipped through the cracks and got elected president, DOESN'T mean I'm ready to abandon all the freedoms I hold dear & move out just like that.<br><br>You wanna bash Bush? Go ahead, go nuts. Obviously no one's gonna be able to stop you. But the minute you start throwing all of us into the same category of 'dumb redneck Americans', I have to speak my peace. I could just as easily label you 'Eurotrash' by your attitude thus far.<br><br>You don't want anything to do with the U.S. anymore? <br><br>I'm happy to say I'm not going to lose any sleep over that...<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 09:41 PM

I am waiting for your name callings for those that didn't understand the above or those who disagree. You oppinion counts.<br><br>Just because we don't understand you doesn't make US the idiots...<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:08 PM

They were most helpfull to prove my point in this forum to the non-americans about how a TYPICAL american thinks. (ever watch king of the hill?)<br><br>Sheesh ... and they say Americans are arrogant ;-)<br><br>And FYI, I don't believe there are any "Mat"s who posted in this thread. There are, however, several "Matt"s. Ordinarily, I wouldn't nit-pick this, but if you're going to call out people by name, if you can't get their nationality straight, the least you can do is get all the spelling correct ;-)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by six_of_one on 11/29/03 01:13 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:19 PM

Your self confidence commends you ;-)<br><br>As for me, I rarely ever claim I'm "right" - just expressing opinions like everybody else, including you ...<br><br>Have a wonderful and peaceful evening, Cherry =)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:22 PM

I am not right, jimi is right. You all are right.<br><br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:28 PM

"Whether you love Bush or hate his guts, this is STILL the greatest place to live in the world (no offense to our neighbors to the north)"<br><br>None taken. I find it sad that some people can't be proud of their country just because they don't live in a utopia. I also find it sad that some people lash out at others instead of trying to solve the real problem by looking inward to themselves.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:29 PM

Why aren't you right as well?<br><br>It's all just opinion, which along with two bits just might buy you a cuppa joe ;-)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:35 PM

The sad part is, even though he obviously hates Bush, since he left the country he now has no opportunity to cast a vote to get Bush out of office (assuming Stefan was a citizen in the first place) ...<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:53 PM

it seems that at least you have a vague idea of what i am suggesting, Mcteak.<br><br>sorry to anyone that may be inflamed by what they misconstrue my words to imply.<br><br>the truth is blatant, if you actually look directly at it.<br><br>-----------------------------------------------------------------<br> "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." <br>-----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 10:56 PM

smile sorry but that is really a rose coloured glasses view .. you have no idea where your nation is headed at all .. do you? .. go on admit it. <br><br>and .. the greatest nation? to live in? hmm statstics definitely prove otherwise.<br>-----------------------------------------------------------------<br> "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." <br>-----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:03 PM

yes this was the important part. // let us step outside Bush's agenda and accept that the men and women dying in Iraq and not knowing whether today will be their turn.. needed some support.. <br><br>not that i believe many of them were as impressed by Bush's appearance as they may well have been earlier in the campaign but that is not a subject for me to open<br><br>-----------------------------------------------------------------<br> "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." <br>-----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:07 PM

you have no idea where your nation is headed at all .. do you? .. go on admit it.<br><br>What? And you do?<br><br>hmm statstics definitely prove otherwise.<br><br>Well, that might be relevant if we all lived our lives by statistics ;-) Obviously the "best place to live" is in the eye of the beholder, where statistics may not count for much ...<br><br>Out of curiosity though, I'd like to see those statistics ... do you have a link? Thanks =)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:13 PM

I am certainly better informed of America's political decisions than most Americans are .. yes of that there is little doubt.<br><br>I am certainly unbiased which gives me a lot more room for clear vision.<br><br>There is not any wool over my eyes. and that is a fact.<br><br>-----------------------------------------------------------------<br> "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." <br>-----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:17 PM

Yes .. just about any independant source .. outside the US<br><br>-----------------------------------------------------------------<br> "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." <br>-----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:30 PM

Okay, thanks for those concrete numbers ... really makes the case for you =P<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:37 PM

quite.. as you just did for yourself .. <br>so what kind of arse thinks he is inviolate and pretends that others must therefore think so.. only an american arse .. are you also from texas?<br><br>-----------------------------------------------------------------<br> "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." <br>-----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:37 PM

I am certainly better informed of America's political decisions than most Americans are .. yes of that there is little doubt.<br><br>Actually, there is a great deal of doubt, at least on this end ;-)<br><br>I am certainly unbiased which gives me a lot more room for clear vision.<br><br>There is not any wool over my eyes. and that is a fact.<br><br>ooooooookaaay ...<br><br>What color is the sky in your world?<br><br>Unfortunately, your statements here make it harder for me to treat your posts with any great seriousness ...<br><br>Have fun there in Middle Earth ;-)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:38 PM

wanker<br><br>-----------------------------------------------------------------<br> "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." <br>-----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:40 PM

Well, why not go ask one? Personally, I don't consider myself inviolate, and if anybody has that impression they are quite mistaken ...<br><br>And BTW, pretentiousness is by no means a monopoly held by Americans - apparently denizens of The Wood also have that failing, as you have so eloquently demonstrated ;-)<br><br>Regardless, with your post below and this one, you have basically lost all credulity with me, so this will probably be my last reply to a political post of yours ...<br><br>Have a good evening =)<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by six_of_one on 11/29/03 02:45 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/28/03 11:42 PM

in my country we don't grandstand politics .. because we are all far too well versed on the subject.. something on which you obviously have no power base to argue from. thus .. nothing will be missed.<br><br>-----------------------------------------------------------------<br> "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." <br>-----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I know I'm asking for it ... - 11/28/03 11:49 PM

... but I'm feeling a little frisky tonight, so what the hell - I break my own rule:<br><br>So tell us, Tree, exactly what country *is* it that you come from, whose citizens hold themselves in such high regard?<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Okay, I know I'm asking for it ... - 11/29/03 12:13 AM

thought you weren't going to talk to me anymore?<br><br> <br>why we are none but your "Sheriff's of the Pacific".. the guys who did manage to pinpoint all your targets in Iraq by being on the ground before you entered ... despite being denied access to your info .. we supplied you with what you needed.<br><br>you bombed the targets with our assistance <br>...and we still haven't lost a military life .. other than attached reporters.. attached to US military,..that is<br><br>none but the best .. at your service.. and don't you forget it. <br><br><br>-----------------------------------------------------------------<br> "Behold the Turtle, he maketh no progress ==== until he sticketh out his neck." <br>-----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/29/03 03:22 AM

So now, you've become so lazy that you're using this to write your *cough* opinions?<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/29/03 04:59 AM

Steve, first of all, why are you so patronizing? Is it because your age or position or because you're a judge? What makes you sit on such a high horse? djstefan might be wrong, but he certainly has some interesting points. There are other disagreeing with him too, but after reading through 100 messages I can feel that you're going after him. You know smart people act stupid, stupid people act smart. BTW, I mostly agree with you, I'm just complaining about the style. You do the same thing to me sometimes and I feel it inappropriate, so I felt for dj.<br><br>[color:green]One man's compost is another man's potpourri.</font color=green>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/29/03 05:05 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>...this is STILL the greatest place to live in the world...<p><hr></blockquote><p>Well, I haven't been to the US yet , so I can't tell, but I think it would be a good idea to check out some places like Sweden and Netherland in northern Europe or places like Austria in central Europe. I'm sure these places match or superseed the quality of life of the best states in the US.<br><br>[color:green]One man's compost is another man's potpourri.</font color=green>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/29/03 05:22 AM

If your comments are so true...why in the heck does everyone want to come to America? And for what's his face DJ. Oh sad can it be to be a man without a country always running from himself. Please educate me on the world, but please remember I have done some traviling myself and have experienced the good and bad on many lands. But then again it is what we make of our visits. As Kennedy said many years ago (I think) "Ask not what your country can do for you but what can you do for your country". What contributions have you made to your country to make it a better place to live and for your children to live?<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/29/03 05:41 AM

Patronizing? When I decide to be patronizing, you'll know it, believe me. And believe this, too: I don't consider myself judge of anyone. I do, however, reserve the right to respond with the POV that my age does give me. Right or wrong, we all view things differently, and those of us who've been around a bit longer have had the opportunity to see things from more angles and through different filters. Doesn't make us any smarter or more worldly, but it does afford a broader experience base from which to speak (and it's an AARP membership benfit ).<br><br>In dj's case, you're dead-on a/b my annoyance with him. Everyone has something interesting to say if you listen closely, and he's no exception. However, incoherent, ill-informed, and thoroughly self-absorbed rants masquerading as a rationale for arguable statements will suck the air out of an idea in a New York minute. In the end, all I hear is "blah blah blah blah me me blah blah me me blah blah..."<br><br>In you case, sorry if you feel I've "come after" you. No such intentions. However, I calls 'em as I sees 'em. I prefer to be direct because it's the best way to get a point across. Whether you accept that point or not is entirely up to you, but in your case, you shouldn't take what I say as anything remotely close to a personal affront. On the other hand, you wanna call me a grumpy old f@rt, go for it. <br><br>

Re: Okay, I know I'm asking for it ... - 11/29/03 05:45 AM

thought you weren't going to talk to me anymore?<br><br>I said I probably wouldn't respond to your political posts, since I have trouble determining their seriousness - this being less political and more informational topic, I thought I'd give it a shot ... still, I guess I' might be breaking my own rule a little here, as I mentioned in my previous post ;-)<br><br>Australia is a beautiful country and I've actually been lucky enough to visit it, albeit for a disappointingly brief amount of time ... I hope to be able to visit again some day - gorgeous place, and the people seemed top-notch =) ...<br><br>Have you ever visited the US?<br><br>I won't get into a pissing match about who did what in Iraq - suffice it to say US special forces were on the ground as well performing the same types of missions as yours FAR in advance of the invasion ...<br><br>And it's outstanding that none of your people were killed and I hope most of them were able to go back home unscathed ... There are what, ~900 left in-theater? Hopefully they'll be able to go home soon as well =)<br><br>Thanks for your post, and have a great morning!<br><br>***matt<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/29/03 05:46 AM

I think it's been said elswhere in this thread that "the best place in the world to live" is largely up to the individual.<br><br>Is the U.S. among the best places to live? Certainly. Are there other places better? Depends on you. You can make "pros & cons" lists for every place on earth, and none of them will be everyone's ideal.<br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/29/03 06:34 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>In dj's case, you're dead-on a/b my annoyance with him.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm happy that you admit this.<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I prefer to be direct because it's the best way to get a point across.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I like that a lot.<br><br>[color:green]One man's compost is another man's potpourri.</font color=green>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/29/03 07:45 AM

I think a lot of you failed to read the 3 little letters that read 'IMO'- which means it's MY opinion that I live in the greatest country in the world.<br><br>I happen to think so, and that's all that matters isn't it? After all, I'M the one living MY life.<br><br>Just thought I'd clear that up. <br><br>I'd like to get a gander at those statistics too Treebeard, when you have the time. Sure, there's probably plenty of other countries around the world that are FANTASTIC places to live in, but I'm sorry I enjoy this place too damn much.<br><br>Rose colored glasses, eh? Where does that comment come from? Am I beating the political drum here? Am I waving a big Bush banner? When did I ever say I loved what our current government, or that I agreed 100% with its course of action in the Middle East or any other part of the world for that matter?<br><br>The great this is that our whole attitude towards the rest of the world could change in one election. Bush would be out, a new president in, and that president could very well take a whole new approach on the matter. And then a lot of you would have nothing left to post about... <br><br>When I say 'greatest', I go by my daily life. I go by the opportunities I have in this country to succeed. I go by the diversity that I experience every day when I go to work or visit with my friends. I go by the fact that in this country, a man like Steve Jobs can start by building computers in his garage and have the sort of ideas that are allowing all of YOU to sit and post your rantings from a damn fine computer and operating system.<br><br>Now who can argue with that last point? <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/29/03 08:05 AM

nobody <br><br>[color:green]One man's compost is another man's potpourri.</font color=green>
Posted by: watcher

Re: Okay, I know I'm asking for it ... - 11/29/03 01:05 PM

just a point i have noted about Australians <br>if they cant pull the left or the right leg <br>they will pull the middle one<br><br>they'll have you for dinner everytime <br>mr yahoo serious.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/29/03 08:01 PM

Hey Steve... do you get the free coffee at McDonald's with that AARP membership? <br><br> What?<br>Visit Me!
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/29/03 09:50 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>On the other hand, you wanna call me a grumpy old f@rt, go for it.<p><hr></blockquote><p>That's my turf ya dang whippersnapper! Go find your own playground!<br><br>drjohn's photos

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/30/03 04:13 AM

*slap* Outta my way, sonny. I'm feelin' my geritol today, so you'd best not be sassin' me! <br><br>

Re: Thanksgiving in Baghdad! ... - 11/30/03 04:15 AM

Oops. Sorry old-timer. <br><br>*roars off in hotrod wheelchair*<br><br>