intervention

Posted by: Anonymous

intervention - 05/31/01 04:06 PM

kiplings plea to those that wish to intervene everywhere re haiti somalia kosovo ?macedonia....go bind your sons to exile/To serve your captives'need" and accept in recompense only"the blame of those you better.!the hate of those ye guard.. still true today,but some never learn... <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 60limabravo on 05/31/01 07:08 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: intervention - 06/05/01 09:23 PM

how did I know that the man behind the name "60LimaBravo" was an ex military man... here's to you Sir.<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: intervention - 06/06/01 09:56 PM

There's more to that poem that you quote that reflects Kipling's (and his century's) naive vision of (a) the racial superiority of Europeans and (b) the unproblematic benefits of colonialism. It doesn't take a whole lot of thinking to see who really benefitted from colonialism, starting in the 16th century and going on to the present.<br><br>I'm not dumb enough to think that Europeans are the only ones who've used colonial hegemony to advance their own interests, but it's been the Europeans for the most part who've mystified that self-advancement as something that's profoundly good for those whose lands and wealth they've expropriated.<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: intervention - 06/10/01 06:00 PM

the only thing worse than being colonized by europeans was not to be colonized, undoubtedly without colonization these countries would be the most advanced civilizations in history.<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: intervention - 06/17/01 07:52 PM

interesting viewpoint there marine... where did you pick that up?<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: intervention - 06/18/01 09:11 AM

Never said that, 60limabravo. Did say that Europeans are the only folks who think that their domination of others is a good thing. Maybe it has to do with Christianity, which is much like Islam in seeing itself as a good thing no matter how it gets started.<br><br>Keep in mind the other side of the coin, by the way. If it weren't for the colonies that provided all that wealth and raw material to fuel the industrial revolution, Europe and its surrogates would not be so wonderful as they are. I know: it's great to be rich and powerful; but to get to that position we sure expropriated a whole lot of the planet.<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

History of the World - 06/18/01 02:27 PM

It's been happening for a long time. Unless you think the Mongols were just a misunderstood bunch of softies.<br><br>John<br><br>[color:red]I don't need no steenkin' signature!</font color=red>

Re: intervention - 06/18/01 04:50 PM

yoyo -<br>I might point out that the Japanese have a pretty impressive history of usurping other lands and peoples for their own good. <br><br>