Windows Media Player 9 for OS X

Posted by: RubenC

Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/10/03 08:38 AM

So....has anyone downloaded this latest version and given it a whirl?<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/10/03 08:41 AM

D/L yes. Try no.<br><br>[color:blue]Your unsolicited Apple authority</font color=blue>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/10/03 08:42 AM

Yup, works pretty good so far. Its kinda ugly, but as long as it functions when QT can't, I'm fine with it.<br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/10/03 08:43 AM

Good, that's what I was wondering.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/10/03 11:15 AM

Mine works ok too. But whenever I come across a site with only WMP I send them a request to use QuickTime instead. In order of preference:<br>- QT<br>- Real<br>- WMP<br><br>I wish Apple would make a QT player for Linux - then we can really hit the sites with the "supported on more platforms" argument.<br><br>

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/10/03 01:04 PM

So true. Usually the QT streams/downloads are higher quality anyway, so it isn't much of a choice, but I still hate to use the wmv streams just on principle. <br><br>For the same reason its best not to set your Safari to behave like IE, then webmasters just think we're all using that steaming pile of a web browser and so there is no reason to support standards.<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/11/03 08:44 AM

is QT not supported on Linux? I thought because of the open server code that it could be served from Linux—though I guess that doesn't help people play it on Linux, huh?<br><br>

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/11/03 10:06 AM

I constantly see people b*tching about no QT for Linux on slashdot. So, I guess not. <br><br>

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/11/03 10:46 AM

You can serve and stream QT on LInux. But a Linux user cannot view QuickTime content, with the exception of a few older codecs (circa QT 2.0).<br><br>

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/11/03 10:51 AM

That's ironic. What's the point of the open QT architecture to serve if they can't view? I mean, it was a good move by Apple to open it up to try and proliferate QT usage, but why would a Linux developer or Webmaster want to waste his time on setting up a QT server when he can't view its content? <br><br>

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/11/03 11:05 AM

There are several open source media players available (e.g. mplayer, vlc) that can view most codecs used by QT. Perhaps they would they allow you to view the contents?<br><br>

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/11/03 04:48 PM

Often people making the video aren't the people running the servers. The content creators typically use Macs, but often they might work at an organization that has Linux servers. <br><br>But they should open it up to Linux. It would go a long way to help QuickTime to proliferate.<br><br>

Re: Windows Media Player 9 for OS X - 11/11/03 05:00 PM

Exactly my point. We as Mac users are always evangelizing the merits of QT. But if the Webmaster isn't able to view content in his OS of choice, he's going to fight you saying its an inferior technology—and I wouldn't blame him for having that point of view (wrong as it may be ).<br><br>If Apple made a player so .mov files could be viewed on *nix, then it would go a long way to help the evangelization of QT servers and content.<br><br>