Survey: How did you find MM

Posted by: DaddyMac

Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:03 AM

I know how a lot of us got here- we were at MCF, got too overwhelmed with trying to keep up with all the posts , and then came here by recommendation of a friend..<br><br>But I'm curious about some of the newcomers like lislaz, djstefan, et al. How did you learn of MM, and how long before you posted?<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:07 AM

Is this a trick question? <br><br>[color:orange]I am Apple.</font color=orange> [color:red]Bite me.</font color=red>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:08 AM

When MacNN was taken over by NewsFactor, someone on their forums recommended MM. I still read and post at MacNN, but I prefer this site a lot more. The only feature I like at MacNN that isn't here is the ability to post follow-ups to the articles on the main page (although they should restrict it to registered users).<br><br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:08 AM

I got lost. <br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:09 AM

Like in Boston? <br><br>[color:orange]I am Apple.</font color=orange> [color:red]Bite me.</font color=red>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:12 AM

What's the trick? I'm just curious how a lot of people found this site. It's not like it's advertised all over the place, or there's a bunch of MM banners on other sites..<br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:12 AM

don't make me slap you. <br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:19 AM

Did I forget the winky? Or did you forget the coffee? <br><br>[color:orange]I am Apple.</font color=orange> [color:red]Bite me.</font color=red>
Posted by: Jashue

NTO1 deserves much credit - 11/03/03 09:19 AM

...for bringing so many here.<br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:20 AM

Hey... this is DM's thread. Slap him. <br><br>[color:orange]I am Apple.</font color=orange> [color:red]Bite me.</font color=red>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:20 AM

Well, I never drink coffee, and your winky was a 'crazy', so I don't know who to blame.<br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:21 AM

Winky... Crazy... who's counting?<br><br><br>So, you want cream & sugar in your coffee?<br><br>[color:orange]I am Apple.</font color=orange> [color:red]Bite me.</font color=red>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:23 AM

I like mine black, like my avatar.<br><br>
Posted by: DavidDraiman

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:34 AM

well, i'm a defector from MC<br><br>
Posted by: Beniitec

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:41 AM

I think I saw a reference to it on either Apple Turns or MacNN just before it began. Probably the latter. I've been coming back ever since. It is in my opinion the BEST and quickest resource for Mac related, and other (important) computer industry news.<br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:42 AM

the MCF Exodus of '02 . . . it was an act of mob mentality. <br><br>
Posted by: lislaz

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:47 AM

I was just trying to remember that a few weeks ago -- I can't even recall. I do remember I had just purchased the PB and I think someone told me about MacMinute. I will hazard a guess and say it was someone at the Salem, NH store.<br><br>I lurked for about two weeks before I dove in -- it was when Mike talked about his new (then) purchased 12 inch powerbook. I couldn't resist...<br><br>
Posted by: djstefan

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:52 AM

Well, its kinda by luck. Noone told me about it and never knew it existed. Since Im the only mac user at work and my own technician at the same time, I wanted to find a few sites that kept me up to date with mac related news. So I did a yahoo search and found MacMinute. I started reading the mac minute news every day. Then I had some OSX problems so I posted on the OSx forum a few posts. Then I got bored at work so I thaught you guys were really cool and started posting more and more and became hooked. Thats my life story! <br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:55 AM

I was at MacNN too during that time. One of the old admins here, uh...began with an M but I can't recall his name used to be an admin over there so I checked this place out.<br><br>Course that was back in the day when Stan posted a lot more too..and it was pretty quiet after awhile...which isn't too bad somedays.<br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 09:57 AM

How is a quiet message board a GOOD thing? <br><br>
Posted by: rman

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:00 AM

I just happened on this place just after Stan created it. I lurked a long, long time. Then I think, MacGizmo started one of the famous lurker thread.<br><br>
Posted by: rman

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:02 AM

I find that small communities are better, I have frequent a few larger boards, and you just get lost in there.<br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:08 AM

Well, in this case it was nice cause Stan posted and it was pretty fun...not saying it's not fun now...<br><br>I participate in a really small forum (around 8 guys) and it's nice and fun...we all know each other pretty well and what each person tolerates. Been there the longest..about 5 years now.<br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:10 AM

I have my own forum for my LAN party buds, but it's tough because not everyone posts around the same time, and it could be days before someone gets a reply...<br><br>
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:11 AM

I think I'd have to agree with Beniitec. I converted over from MC after reading someone talking about this board. I was never really happy with that board and this one felt much more like a community. Although, it feels like it's going through some changes but we all change and since this board is a reflection of us, then it's understandable.<br><br>The thread killer
Posted by: sross

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:13 AM

I was at a very large one and came here for the "small town" atmosphere.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:15 AM

Simple. They had the best Mac news site around. After visiting it about a thousand times I finally noticed the little "reader cafe" up near the corner and clicked on it. This is the first forum I had ever participated in. I didn't even know there was one at MacCentral until someone started complaining about it here.<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:19 AM

Just part of the "great migration" from MC.<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:22 AM

<strike>I was hot on the trail of sockpuppets, chasing them from forum to forum - looking for that commonality of IP addresses and web server spaces and ended up here. </strike><br><br>err, strike that thought, just came over as part of the migration from MCF. <br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:25 AM

I started reading MM when Stan created it after leaving MC. I lurked here at the Cafe but never posted because it was so slow and not many users.<br><br>Like many of us, I came over when NTO1 led the way over here after the "great Lounge debacle" at MC a year or so ago.<br><br>One of the things that has kept me here is that while we've grown in membership and of course amount of posts, it still has a "small town" atmosphere and it's easy to follow.<br><br>While we certainly have had our little squabbles lately, as most "families" do, the one constant here is that it hasn't gotten too out of hand and remains a friendly, helpful and fun place to hang out.<br><br>I have tried posting at SpyMac, MacNN, BASE and several other forums - I keep coming back here because when someone posts something here, I actually know them, and know what they are talking about. And because it's a "small town," people aren't as afraid to post person things going on in their life - which makes for much more interesting reading.<br><br>I think it's great that I believe that I have friends here, and in a small way, share their life with them. I know about people's jobs, their family life, the name of their kids and the things going on in their life at any given time. I love the fact that if I decided to take a trip to New York, that more than likely I would have a friend to have lunch with... I think it's fantastic that John had a place to crash when he went to Hawaii. And if I ever went to Canada, I'm fairly certain Marg and Alec would get me piss drunk and dangle me over Niagra falls! <br><br><br>Visit Me!
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:33 AM

Ganey told me about it. I stayed because all points of view are welcomed here. If someone disagrees with a certain point of view, the topic is debated back and forth with a level of civility not found elsewhere. That's why I stayed and that's why I won't go back to elsewhere.<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:41 AM

Kate Sorenson sent me an instant message saying that stan was creating another forum and site. i visited an joined on the first day, i believe and participated for a while. dropped in off-and-on until i became more regular when traffic picked up from the masses at MC moving over.<br><br>in fact, here's the first IM i received here:<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>From: KateSorensen<br>Received: 05/20/01 11:55 PM <br>to see all of my posts. Noooo droogie, this is not Ethel's forum!<br><br>i'm just trying to help out Stan by trying out all the features, etc. as he is calling this a sorta beta test.<br><br>been having fun talking with PeterMac in Austrailia though.<br><br>i like the features, but maybe it is just because i'm use to it but MC Gen Forum is easier to read and keep up with. <br><p><hr></blockquote><p><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:42 AM

I was doing a flyby and came in a little closer for a better look when I noticed an unruly mob picking on what appeared to be a defenseless fellow and I just wanted to get a few jabs in myself.<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:43 AM

Can you be more specific? <br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:44 AM

Is that what you youngin's are calling "gettin' some" these days?<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:51 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And if I ever went to Canada, I'm fairly certain Marg and Alec would get me piss drunk and dangle me over Niagra falls!<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm fairly certain that if you went to Canada the US wouldn't let you back in!<br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 11:02 AM

Highly unlikely... they make a lot of money off of me in taxes! <br><br><br>Visit Me!

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 11:03 AM

What, they have an @sshole tax now? <br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 11:04 AM

I dunno... if they did, Michael Dell and Bill Gates would be flat broke!<br><br><br>Visit Me!
Posted by: Boothby4

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 11:14 AM

Not long after I got my Mac I was looking for chat rooms to try out iChat. I ran into Lori at the MM chat room and she sent me here. <br><br>
Posted by: Mcteak

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 11:18 AM

Nuff said and said very well!<br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 11:18 AM

Ok nice avatar, but seeing that little fire truck animation over and over is eventually going to make me want to set YOU on fire.<br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 11:45 AM

I can't see your avatar, did you take it down already?<br><br><br>Visit Me!
Posted by: Boothby4

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 12:12 PM

yea it is a little anoying. I don't know how to slow it down, otherwise I would. Giz the avatar is still up.<br><br>
Posted by: ezyrider

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 12:28 PM

I came here from MCF. I think I read a post from MacGizmo about MM over at MC. I just get tired of the flame wars and general trollery of MC. This is a nice refuge from all of that.<br><br>
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 01:07 PM

It started when Al Gore invented the internet. Back in those days, we called it the internet. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. MacCentral Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah lost weekend. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Trolls Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Forum Split Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. NTO1 Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah Mutiny Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Bush Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah anti-American Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah sockpuppets Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, and that's how I arrived at MacMinute.<br><br><br>Shooshie<br><br>[color:green]Pictures and things</font color=green>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 01:20 PM

I guess we have to read between the blahs to find the true meaning of your post....hehehe<br><br><br>My Stuff
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 01:25 PM

I found MM from a google search, and thought it was the best news site around. After a while, like Trog, i saw the cafe button and decided to join in. I think that was just about the time the Lurkers thread started and people from MC started to come in.<br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 01:25 PM

That's funny, Shooshie!!!<br><br>ME2.<br><br>alec - OFI
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 01:38 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And if I ever went to Canada, I'm fairly certain Marg and Alec would get me piss drunk and dangle me over Niagra falls!<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm waiting for ya Forget Niagra Falls. Take you up the CN tower. <br><br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 01:52 PM

Yeah, what Haysek said. Ditto everything.<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 02:47 PM

I ofcourse was also a MC refugee, but not because I couldn't "keep up" with posts I just don't like the way all new posts go to the top and older posts (even with newer replies) go down the list. There were so many Republican bad, Democrat good posts (Of which I'm neither) that any interesting or fun posts went to page 2 pretty quickly. I just gave up on it. You know what I mean?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 02:51 PM

I am a MacNN regugee too <br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 02:52 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>One of the old admins here, uh...began with an M but I can't recall his name<p><hr></blockquote><p>Misha.<br><br><br>Visit Me!
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 02:53 PM

Misha was the guy.<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 04:34 PM

after a while, it just seemed like a lot of the folks at MFC were arguing about the same stuff. So I followed someone here. I forget who.<br><br>I do miss akula from time to time.<br><br>-Matt<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 06:15 PM

[color:red]I found it went well with some fava beans and a nice chianti. </font color=red><br> <br><br> I got an email from Ethel. Basically the same as Sean. I registered and posted a few times and checked in occasionally. Everyone was very nice but things were pretty slow.<br><br><br>I believe this was the 4th post in the lounge or Mac local.<br>http://www.macminute.com/cgi-bin/wwwthre...&vc=1#Post4<br><br>And this is the launch post only 80some views so far.<br>http://www.macminute.com/cgi-bin/wwwthre...&vc=1#Post1<br><br>Then with the mass exodus at MC I came over here and ended up making myself comfy, besides hopping back over there, too from time to time. This is my homepage and first stop.<br><br>[color:blue]Of course he gave a very loud yell, as loud a yell as a hobbit can give, which is surprising for their size.</font color=blue>
Posted by: gshocked

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 08:34 PM

I got to know about a lot of you via MC late 2001. I read about Macgizmo, Kate Sorenson, Carp and others. I was a bit too shy to join up so I just lurked. I joined MC in 03/2002 and I got my first PM from Missisauga. He had taken my avatar and cleaned it up for me and made it really nice, and welcomed me! Everyone was nice to me, and they still are.<br><br>I heard about MM from MacGizmo and decided to check it out. By 05/2002 I had signed up here. I don't post too often but I stop by almost every day. It is like a small town square where everyone meets now and then. I still also go to MC, but it feels like the big city when I go there. I like reading Akulas posts as well some of the others. But MM feels like home!<br><br>

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 08:47 PM

I miss Akula once in a while too... but I get over it real quickly! <br><br><br>Visit Me!
Posted by: Michael

Re: Survey: How did you find MM - 11/03/03 10:35 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I do miss akula from time to time.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Uh OK atleast he's not political.<br><br>