Science - Water recycling

Posted by: KateSorensen

Science - Water recycling - 05/28/02 12:03 PM

And pretty darned exciting I think:<br><br>Penn State program click<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Penn State's main campus with more than 40,000 students and 10,000 employees gets its water from a series of wells, drawing from the water table under Centre County. After use in sinks, showers, toilets and drinking fountains on campus, the university collects and treats the water to stream-release standards in its own plant, just as a city would at a municipal water treatment plant.<br><br>But instead of feeding the water into a nearby waterway, the university pumps it out north of town, where an average of 2.7 million gallons per day are sprayed over 520 acres of farm and forest land, said John Gaudlip, utility systems engineer for the university. That would be the equivalent of 2 inches of rainfall per day.<p><hr></blockquote><p>[color:red]There's lots more to the story -- read at above link </font color=red><br><br>[color:blue]Once, about 20 years ago, I got some dry "sludge" from our water recycling plant and used it around the tomato plants.</font color=blue> They grew vines that would hold Tarzan as he swung from tree to tree. The city also transported the liquid stuff in tankers and sprayed it on corn fields used for growing silage. I think now it is sold and processed into something resold commercially.<br><br>The stuff was supposed to be 99 44/100's pure and okay to use in gardens, etc.<br><br>Last week I read an article about some city experimenting in converting sewage wastewater back into drinking water 100 percent pure! I believe it has been done on small scales previously but I like to read stuff like this.<br><br>Kate<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Science - Water recycling - 05/28/02 02:35 PM

We here been doing that for some years now but its not farm lands the recycled water goes to. Rather its Golf courses and city landscaping buys the water at a cut rates compared to drinking water rates and the Board of Water supply, saves on millions of gallons of freash water. Its a win win for everyone.<br><br>However the recycled water needs it own delivery system to the end users, so the up front cost was high for the installation of new lines, that was payed buy the city. The revenues from the recycled water is starting to pay back the debit.<br><br>
Posted by: watcher

Re: Science - Water recycling - 05/28/02 06:55 PM

It is in Israel, that they have mastered the art of recycling used water from the city, utilizing it for agriculture and horticulture. It has proven to be quite cost effective this way. Since it also supplies the city with food... albeit made from their own [censored]. Yes these systems are more expensive to set up and only countries or cities with severe water shortages have bothered to encompass alternative methods of water use. That this cost can be recouped in an equitable time frame, is well known to science but little recognized by the run of the mill town water supply planners. However nowdays many cities and towns are beginning to realize that careful waste water management is actually a necessity rather than a luxury, since there is not just the avenue of water supply costs and limits. There is also the other side of the coin .. pollution reduction. <br><br>In my City, we are an Agricultural city..whose population covers an area of approx 50,000 square miles. We pour effluent from wineries and wastes from steel fabrication factories (that make the world's best stainless steel wine vats for bulk production)..into the town sewers, everything we do here is the biggest in the southern hemisphere or perhaps the world. We also live in FLAT country(just 400 feet above sea level) that has NO drainage.. We are surrounded by numerous agricultural pursuits, all of which use irrigation water(mainly flood). We have an annual rainfall equitable with anything from the Israeli/Palestine area,(12 inches) we also have the world's highest evaporation rate.. We of all people should have already instituted the worlds best recycling program.. but we haven't. We are only beginning to look at the situation. We have the money, we have the means, we have the instrument. There should be no barrier. We channel billions of megalitres of water, hundreds of miles from the mountains of its source. We spread that water over thousands of square miles surface area, to evaporate under our intense sunlight (300 sunnydays pa)and concentrate salts on soils already full of salts from millennia of internal flooding and inundation by rising sea levels. <br><br>Yes today we have farms that are required to put in recycling systems on lots as samll as 50 acres, and use trickle irrigation or other low water usage systems. But we still pour all sorts of shyte down the sewer and spend billions on trying to avoid the tonnes of pollution that this creates downstream, into the food bowl of the world. I would dearly love to see us institute a system of recycling both grey and sewage water in this town( the residents of which all consume more than 3,000 litres of fresh(treated) water per day. The aggregate of which would easily water 20,000 acres of rice. Due to the fact that all of our water comes in a ditch, it needs to be put through a multi million dollar water treatment plant anyway.. we apend millioins each year on upgrading the sweage treatment plant and nobody can breathe within five miles of it. Water recycling is something which could well be done within the same cost fames that already exists..., if industry could only keep its effluents out of the waterways. It is the separation of the really bad stuff that provide the economic and ecological difficulties. Stuff like the weird chemical mixes created by tipping megatonnes of agricultural processing wastes such a wine and rice refining wastes along with the wastes from the production of agricultural machinery, concrete and the like. Pretty normal I know, for most cities to have such waste problems.<br> <br>There is an intense need for science and economics to blend and solve these issues and quickly. As the world's population will soon outstrip the ability ro provide itself with fresh water before it outstrips anything else .. apart from the natural resources of flora and fauna that we will have starved of fresh water first.<br><br> Yes Every process anywhere in the world that uses water or can leak into the water supply, absolutely needs to be self contained and nothing should leave the plant.., via a drain; unless it is pure, clean, fresh water.. <br><br>In this particular regard there is no excuse .. we have the technology.. we have the need.<br><br>