Palm thingie

Posted by: KateSorensen

Palm thingie - 05/28/02 11:45 AM

My grandson got a Palm thing for his birthday recently. I don't know exactly what they are or their uses, but I've read about people "organizing" things, etc. I just want to know some web sites or news groups to tell him about.<br><br>Anyone? TIA<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 12:28 PM

Hey, Kate, here's a URL for software downloads. It's a Handspring site, but Handspring uses the Palm OS, so there should be no compatibility problems. I don't know about your grandson, but I got a Visor (the cheapest I could find) so I can keep track of meetings. Haven't missed one since I got it <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: sean

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 12:31 PM

well, i just switched from a palm to my laptop, but the palm was great for me since i used to write stuff in a calendar and then forget to open my calendar. the palm wouldn't let me forget as the alarm would go off at the specific time and voila, i made the meetings on time.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Thanks - 05/28/02 12:38 PM

Just emailed that one to him.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 01:51 PM

I've been thinking about the Palm for a while now. Since I keep forgetting to do a lot of things and also forget numbers, appointments, etc.<br><br>Is it really useful? I would like to put down random thoughts, notes, etc.<br><br>Is the Palm any good, or would a 2nd hand Newton be a better choice?<br><br>--<br>I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 02:07 PM

hmmm..strange...I have 2 palms. I enter text on them but if it's really hot the text disappears! <br><br>Course I was born with mine...would be strange to get a palm for your birthday...<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 02:18 PM

Not unless your grandson is a top exect or something he would find a small pocket size note book and a pen would be better and faster for his needs.<br><br>To me a Palm is just a glorifide calculator that takes notes and stores address. By the time he messes with menus and all, he could have worte it down on paper but some people like their gadgits.<br><br>

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 03:07 PM

<br><br><br>

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 03:12 PM

"To me a Palm is just a glorifide calculator that takes notes and stores address."<br><br>I guess that is true to persons like you and me, Carp. However, I don't think the millions who bought and use them only do so as a glorified calculator taking notes. You only need look at the web site referred to here in this thread to get ideas how others put them to use. http://www.handango.com/handspring/<br><br>Kate<br><br>
Posted by: Terry11

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 03:14 PM

I wasn't sure about the Palm at first either. Finally decided to get the Palm V for a couple of reasons. Size is perfect for not deciding not to bring it along. The others are not that much bigger but bulky by comparison. Battery recharges while in the HotSync cradle.<br><br>Uses are too many to list but here are a few everyone would/could use. Keep in mind you can create as many categories as you like and view them separately.<br><br>Registration numbers and passwords for software/shareware and the passwords is self explanatory.<br><br>Movie rentals/purchases... how many times have you rented the same movie twice... okay, it's just me. <br><br>Grocery lists for each store you frequent. That goes for any other type of store as well.<br><br>Say you are going to paint or remodel a room (new carpet, drapes, blinds, whatever) and you take measurements. Put them in the Palm and the next time you're at Home Depot...<br><br>You won't really appreciate how many different ways it will make your life easier until you have it.<br><br>Yikes... I sound like a commercial.<br><br>

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 03:19 PM

Yeah, I agree with you there. Much better to have them all on a Palm than carrying along many grubby pieces of paper.<br><br>Just checked out the prices in India. Boy, they sure are expensive!<br><br>http://www.palm-asia.com/in/<br><br>--<br>I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 03:47 PM

Right Kate doll.<br><br>Some people do need those kinds of PDAs.<br><br>I use what is called mental memory and a small pocket notebook and a pen. The good thing about the pocket notebook and the pen is, that its always turned on. Never needs to recharge or download, I can drop it and it won't break, I never need to upgrade it, just buy another 59 cent notebook when the pages run out of space. The notebook has no learning curve, theres no need to Navigate through menus, I just flip the pages.<br><br>The only crash I had was when I dropped it in water but it was still readable, try that with a Plam.<br><br>

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 04:41 PM

You're right... I used to have a Rolodex that wasn't with me when I needed it, hoards of business cards, sticky notes all over the place and my memory serves me well.<br><br>But... I couldn't count the times I got home from the store and realized I had forgotten one item.<br><br>I guess if you didn't have a car... you wouldn't have to put gas in it either... how inconvenient is that? Which leads to the ultimate question... what are you doing on a computer... on the internet?<br><br>And then there's the cell phone thing... suppose you'd rather stick your ear on some pay phone hand set, if you can find a pay phone, that some kid decided to spit on to make your calls when you're out and about.<br><br>Yep... you're right... bicycle, note pad and a pencil will work out just fine. <br><br>

Geee - 05/28/02 04:47 PM

Terry where did you read all that in my post?? Did you use your Palm to take notes??<br><br>Come on Big Guy! you are better then making Cheap attacks.<br><br>

Re: Geee - 05/28/02 04:54 PM

Emotions don't show well on the written page, do they?<br><br>Not a cheap attack... a little over the top exaggeration about living in the past. (I.e., dry humor)<br><br>Borrowing a quote from Swatcat... "lighten up" Carp. <br><br><br><br>

I simply saw - 05/28/02 04:55 PM

humor in your post Terry and liked it. Good one.<br>A lot of us could see ourselves in the same situations -- looking for that scrap of paper we wrote a very important msg on. Thanks.<br><br>Kate<br><br>

Re: I simply saw - 05/28/02 05:12 PM

I used to put stickies on my computer monitor--I mean physical stickies, not the Mac kind --and I'd still forget meetings. I never thought I'd be a PDA kinda guy, but then I never thought I'd live to be over half a century old, so I guess anything can happen.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: steveg

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 05:12 PM

Ahhh not so, Grasshopper. You would be amazed at what a Palm can do for you beyond the predictable address, memo, calendar stuff.<br><br>Tap: I can look up a restaurant in any neighborhood, and get walking directions from wherever I'm standing to the front door of that restaurant. Too far to walk? Tap: Get the shortest subway route. Wait a sec, this place is expensive Tap: Ok, I'll use credit card X. Uh-oh, can't get a table tonight, so maybe I'll just stop at the market and eat in. Tap: One shopping list coming up...<br><br>You gettin' the picture?<br><br>

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 05:36 PM

All right, that Thingie works for some people. Not for me.<br><br>The pencel/pen is so much faster AND like the Palm you will need to log/write it down. You forget to do so then both methods are pointless.<br><br>Now if the Palm can record meetings "coversations" then it could be a tool for me.<br><br>

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 06:01 PM

It's coming. : )<br><br>Besides, I'm one of these poor schmucks who always sticks an uncovered pen in his shirt pocket. At least the stylus doesn't leak. <br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 07:17 PM

Hehe..funny you should mention recording conversations..<br><br>My buddy at work has a Compaq Ipaq and you can record with it! It's a pretty nifty little pda, but I don't think it's compatible with macs.<br><br>

Re: Palm thingie - 05/28/02 11:04 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I'm one of these poor schmucks who always sticks an uncovered pen in his shirt pocket.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Remember pocket protectors? Do they still make them?<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Palm thingie - 05/29/02 03:39 AM

That would blow my cover. I'm an undercover geek. <br><br>

Re: Palm thingie - 05/29/02 05:35 AM

I hemmed and hawed for a long time about getting a PDA. Finally gave in and got one maybe 6-9 months ago. Can't live without it now. Very useful! Sure beats 6,000,000 sticky notes all over the place.<br><br>