The loonies are out in force...

Posted by: MachOne

The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 07:19 PM

There's been some hoohaa in the press and on the web about the title of the next LOTR movie, "The Two Towers". Some are suggesting that it's a deliberate attempt at demeaning the tragic events of Sept 11, even though that was the title of Tolkein's second book of the trilogy and that title is over 50 years old.<br><br>They also conveniently forget that the movie began production before the 9/11 events and the title had been decided on.<br><br>Which isn't to say it can't be changed to soothe the sensibilities of those easily offended. But, I mean, c'mon. Do we have to ban the word "tower" from the English language next?<br><br>Sheesh...get a grip.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 07:26 PM

I agree there are to many looneys out there and in here aswell.<br><br>They should not change the title 'Two Towers" for any reason.<br><br>And I heard that the scene in spiderman with the WTC towers were also placed back in. Altou I did not see the movie yet but thats what I heard.<br><br>LOTR should stick with the book and not worry about what the whiners are saying.<br><br>
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 07:32 PM

I saw Spiderman and didn't notice any scene that included the WTC towers ... and I was actually half-looking for them throughout the film ...<br><br>FWIW,<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 07:35 PM

Of course we have to ban the word "tower"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br><br>In much the same way we banned the words "pearl" and "harbor" after December 7 ...<br><br>[/sarcasm]<br><br>You're right, people need to get more of a grip ... =P<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 07:45 PM

No towers in Spidey. But before that scene was removed, it made for one hell of an exciting trailer.<br><br>

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 07:49 PM

Actually, I thought that trailer with the bad guys webbed between the towers was probably the lamest thing I had ever seen, and it really soured me on seeing the film ... I thought the later trailers were far and away more effective - and they in fact made me excited to want to see the film again ...<br><br>I wonder if when the DVD comes out if there will be a Director's Cut with the original cut of the film? IIRC, the thing was in the can and ready for imminent release when 9/11 happened ... I would pay money to see what that version was like =)<br><br>***matt<br><br>

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 07:50 PM

I hate to say this, but there will be those who lost loved ones in the attacks that will want compensation from anything that might use even the vaguest reference to "towers". It's been isolated and rare, but thre have been some examples of inconceivable greed. <br><br>

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 07:53 PM

It was pure comic book schtick. That's what made it so cool. I loved it.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 08:47 PM

The towers scene in the trailer was made just for the teaser trailer. I don't believe it was ever to be part of the movie.<br><br><br>So what about Tower Records? Can they keep their name?<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 08:55 PM

Oh-mi-gawd, that is one of the funniest profile pics I've ever seen!<br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating. It is either good or bad.<br> Salvador Dali

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 09:00 PM

Okay I stand corrected about the WTC towers in the movie.<br><br>I swear that I heard that they placed the image back in? I guess not.<br><br>I will see this Sticky "web" base movie. I just don't want to throw my comics away after watching it.<br><br>

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/25/02 09:26 PM

It was goofy, but in a really cool way. I didn't think I'd like it, but I'm going to see it again tomorrow. It's really fun. So far it's my favorite comic book movie. It makes Batman look like Batman 3.<br><br>

Are we coming down to Favorits? - 05/25/02 09:54 PM

Mine would be "Judge Dreg"<br><br>Its a classic to me a comic book rendition. Complete with the gaudy costumes, storyline and acting. Stalone was fantastic in this movie.<br><br>It was a comic on the big screen<br><br>

Re: Are we coming down to Favorits? - 05/25/02 10:11 PM

So you're the other person who liked that movie! <br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Are we coming down to Favorits? - 05/25/02 11:37 PM

There were two?<br><br>Paul Morrison ... the striped bass are in ...
Posted by: watcher

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/26/02 01:17 AM

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief,<br> "There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief.<br> Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,<br> None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."<br><br> "No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke,<br> "There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke.<br> But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate,<br> So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."<br><br> All along the watchtower, princes kept the view<br> While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.<br><br> Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,<br> Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.<br><br>
Posted by: MachOne

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/26/02 03:22 AM

Jimi...is that you?<br><br>

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/26/02 03:34 AM

if 6 was 9<br>;)<br>jimi did not write those words.. do you know who did?<br><br>

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/26/02 03:48 AM

Bob Dylan, '68 ...<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/26/02 10:29 PM

correct. Although I have to admit that Jimi's rendition was the most memorable.<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/26/02 11:06 PM

That's because if you heard one by Bob Dylan you would never be able to understand it. Just kidding. Jimi's was the best but I like Bob, too. Blood On The Tracks especially. <br><br>Cheers, iRock<br>

Re: The loonies are out in force... - 05/27/02 01:59 AM

Blood on the tracks was arguably his best, true.<br>But he has not ever got the acclaim that someone whom has written more than 500 hit songs which have been covered more than 5 times each.... deserves. <br><br>