Ok...now you all did it..

Posted by: OSXaddict

Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/24/02 05:44 PM

When you start driving away good members such as YoYo, you all crossed that line of a fun place to a place that isn't fun.<br><br>I am going to email Stan and Misha to please lock some threads around here to hopefully put a stop to the childish behavior. If you (and you know who you are) can't get over something because you gotta be high and mighty, then just deal with it. Sometimes things just don't go your way. Chalk this one down as a learning experience and move on.<br><br>And for the others, I hope that the spam has stopped for good. I know you were trying to push that one thread onto another page, but they were gonna drag it back. I know, I contributed some, but I stopped after a short time. I"m sorry I did that.<br><br>I am hoping that YoYo comes back...but if he doesn't and more leave due to this stupid behaivor, then I'll leave and will be sure to give Stan my piece on why. This was a great forum but unfortunately now we have all this dirty laundry that should be dealt with between the two people either at the offending site or in PM, or even email. Better yet, ignore each other!! Wow..that's a concept!!<br><br>So I hope that noone else leaves..and let's get YoYo back here! Make MM fun again.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/24/02 07:01 PM

I agree with you... and I was kind of hoping Stan would delete the threads sooner. But since they are the only threads here that have had any real activity in a long time, I guess everyone (including me) decided to jump on board. The last thing this board needs is LESS membership. And I certainly hate to see a long time member leave.<br><br>That being said, the thread is there. And while I agree that WE (I'm stressing we, which includes me and everyone else who posted to it) got out of hand, the fact is that the very thing that everyone seems to like about MM is being called on the carpet here. Weather or not Matt was right, or Steve, or whatever, they have the right to argue it out here in the forums. Realistically speaking (I'm not trying to put anyone down here at MM) this board is lucky to get the activity its getting because of this little spat. <br><br>There is so little activity here that I actually was happy to see some "NEW" icons next to thread names for a change. Plus, a few old threads got some posts, and a few new ones got started. Now if it took these shinanigans to kick the board into gear, so be it. Matt, myself, you, SteveG and everyone else are all grown ups - and none of us are forced to be here. If YoYo wants to leave because there are a few threads in a few days that he doesn't like, after months going by with barely a dozen or so new threads, I say "goodbye, sorry to see you leave" and move on. It's sad, but if people are expected to tippie-toe around subjects to make one or two people happy, the board will never grow.<br><br>Part of what makes MacCentral so popular is that there are thousands of users - and while there are only 20 or 30 heavy-posting regulars, none of us are prohibited from saying anything we want (other than swearing and death threats etc...). The thing is, the type of monkey business that has gone on here in the last two days would have been forgotten about in a few hours at MC because there is such a diverse crowd of people with so many posts, that no one subject gets all the attention.<br><br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/24/02 07:04 PM

Good point. <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/24/02 07:23 PM

Well at MC the threads go in decending order of the post.<br><br>At MM it gets bumped back to the top of the front page, while at MC that thread would be way back on page 3 or 4 by now, lost and forgotten. I am not saying that this system of bumping up is better or worse but what we have seen so far is the worse.<br><br>In fact I see threads that are atlease a week old on the front page. I am not complaining just my observation.<br><br>I really like Yoyo and I was hoping that he would not leave.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by carp on 05/24/02 10:25 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/26/02 11:33 AM

The method of post bumping used at MacMinute is a mixed bag. Actually, I kind of like it. Keeping the most popular threads up top is handy, but it's also a pain at the same time. I'm not really sure which method is best, both have their advantages and disadvantages.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: bganey

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/26/02 02:44 PM

I prefer the MC way....as time passes, the thread moves to page 2 and so on. <br><br>It would be great if there was a place in the Control Panel to take your pick. <br><br>

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/26/02 03:01 PM

That would be VERY cool. The ability to "sort" the threads anyway you want would be very welcome. Wonder if it's possible.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: carp

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/26/02 03:23 PM

I don't think so. Shooshie had a thread long ago in which he expressed the desire to have the "interesting" threads or still, live ones Bump up to the top of the main page. JimD replied and stated the very reasons on why that MC will not have that feature.<br><br>We have now seen those reasons that JimD mention. Here in the last week, those pisss match threads would have been back in the dark room at MC days before. Instead what MM got was days of BS.<br><br>I also notice that no pisss match threads get bump up aswell, some are a week old already if not even older. What stated out as intersting in those threads has since been hijack and hijack and hijack over and over again. So those threads are now 6, 7, 8 pages long, because the thread keeps getting bumped back.<br><br>Just my 2 cents.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/26/02 06:11 PM

Like we said when we first got here, we can be a rather unruly bunch at times. But, like all things, such events do pass and things subside again. It's like life man, sometimes it gets a little crazy, you deal with it and keep on doing what you do. Too bad YoYo left, but I say never close the door completely just because something upsets you at the moment. So it goes.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/26/02 08:45 PM

So who says I left?<br><br>Oh, I did?<br><br>Well, I was wrong.<br><br>Actually, I want to thank Vijay for emailing me a couple of times and reminding me of why I come to forums.<br><br>Sorry if I got snippy. It was a long long week.<br><br>
Posted by: MachOne

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/26/02 09:02 PM

Welcome back to...errr... well your place, truth be known. Don't mind us...we gate-crashed, we're noisy and we love a party, but we're harmless really.<br><br>With the exception of Alec of course. It's that buttocks thing. Although some profess to actually enjoy that. Still, there's no accounting for taste. <br><br>

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/26/02 09:04 PM

Buttocks?! Well geez--here I thought it was part of the move to make avatars be portraits <br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/26/02 09:43 PM

Some folks claim to have a "good side" in portrait. I was just sharing mine. <br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/26/02 09:55 PM

Well, it was definitely a handsome portrait <br><br>edit: By the way, where exactly did you find that crab? <br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 05/27/02 00:57 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/27/02 04:49 AM

Well, I do believe you made a post in the Mac Local titled "I'm Outta Here."<br><br>Anyway, glad to see you back. <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/27/02 05:14 AM

Welcome back yoyo!<br>(be honest, you were just living up to your name, right)<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/27/02 06:26 AM

whew... glad I've missed most of what's been going on this weekend... nothing like a vacation to cheer you up...<br><br>john<br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/27/02 07:57 AM

How retro of you Alec... that Avatar takes me back... to about, 6 months ago, eh?!!!<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/27/02 01:38 PM

I see your problem with crabs has returned. I thought you had that cured.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/27/02 01:51 PM

All my crabs come from Google. Seems they grow on you after a while. <br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/27/02 03:44 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Well, I do believe you made a post in the Mac Local titled "I'm Outta Here."<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I did, Mike. I was wrong.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: KateSorensen

Glad ur still here - 05/27/02 03:52 PM

<br><br>Kate<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Ok...now you all did it.. - 05/27/02 06:53 PM

welcome back... thought I'd lost you there yoyo...<br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein