Ladies and gents

Posted by: Shooshie

Ladies and gents - 05/24/02 04:44 PM

In all my years of mac boards, mac newsgroups, and mac forums (and I go back to about 1988 or 89 on this), I have never seen so much flaming for so long over so little. I'd really be ashamed to direct my friends to any of these forums at the moment, with so little of interest and so much of really childish behavior. <br><br>Might I gently suggest that we all find it in ourselves to stop this in its tracks? That would mean, of course, stopping now rather than "after this next post." There's plenty of stuff to talk about. We don't need to get the last word into any flame thread here before looking for a better topic. This was a pretty peaceful place until we MacCentral people came over here and started airing our dirty underwear here. Come on, people. We're Mac users, creative people, conversationalists, witty... why waste our reputations over someone's hurt feelings because someone else said such and such? <br><br>Egads. Spring is nearly over. Summer's nearly here. Think of something worth doing and saying. Something worth believing in. No need for this other stuff. I'm serious; I've never seen such negativity. I know you all have more in you than that. Let's bring out the good stuff now. The fine, aged, bubbly that you keep bottled up for special occasions. Bring it out and pass it around!<br><br><br><br>If you don't, it means I'm going to have to post a REALLY long post. I don't think you want that, now, do you? I'm serious. It's going to be REALLLLY long. Next person that posts another whiney message about being done wrong... it's going to be time for Shooshie to filibuster this dang forum. Trust me. It won't be pretty. You don't want that.<br><br><br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff
Posted by: watcher

Re: Ladies and gents - 05/24/02 05:02 PM

yes Sooshie you are one of those from MC that I am glad to have among us.. <br>and please do post a long post.. I love your long posts.<br><br>
Posted by: Entish

Re: Ladies and gents - 05/24/02 05:09 PM

and I agree .. anything to keep a sane post at the top.<br><br>Tell us about music Sooshie, tell us about anything ..<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Ladies and gents - 05/24/02 05:23 PM

Well, it is a long weekend, so you might be able to get through one of his long posts. I assure you, they are usually well worth the time - he's quite a good writer.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: NotTheOnly1

Re: Ladies and gents - 05/24/02 05:44 PM

Shoosh, <br><br>With all respect, and I mean that, I think you're too close to this to see it. <br><br>When you say, "I have never seen so much flaming for so long over so little," I fear that you look at Matt's solitary upset in the grand scheme of things and say, "So what?" He's only one silly guy with one silly offense from one silly forum on the internet.<br><br>One difference I perceive between you and I is that I don't see things this way. I say, sure, if everyone's happy BUT Matt, what does it really matter? It matters because I put myself in Matt's shoes and say, "Would I like this if it happened to me?" Since it already has- three times- this effort isn't so difficult. I'm certain you'd change your tone in a heartbeat Shoosh if members of another forum started sending you PMs stating, "Gosh we love you Shoosh, but could you be less wordy and witty? Some of here don't think it's so cool."<br><br>The bigger picture you're missing is that this isn't just about Matt getting a polite but passive aggressive 'do as we say and not as we do' message. This is about what's been going on at MC in general.<br><br>A recap:<br><br>1. The forum admin one day announced that Macposts were essential and nonMacposts were expendable. He was not obliged to have a vote, but it was kind of odd that a forum decided to skip discussion on such a drastic measure. I felt many people had something to contribute to the forum equally as valuable as Macposts, but suddenly, we were in this weird ghetto. YOU of all people SHOOSH should know this, since your best contributions to the forum-- in my view-- aren't typically Mac related in the slightest. <br><br>The massive irony here is that the very people who've been polluting this MM forum with their 'lost weekend' crapola ARE the reason why the split occurred in the first place, and NOW it's THEM telling Matt to watch what he says, where, and for how long. That is, as much as I disliked their lost weekend thread, I was able to feel offended on their behalf when MC decided their posts were 'inferior' and relocated them. This is something their short attention span doesn't seem to grasp, or their pinheadery appreciated.<br><br>2. Was this attitude a fluke at MC? Absolutely not. I was booted from the Motezaic because I wouldn't jump thru specified hoops that I wasn't obliged to. With no fair warning, YOU took on THEIR attitude and decided that as long as a bunch of bullies thought something was true, than by God it was. As I say below, this new MC thug attitude isn't about what is right, but only if you're on the right side.<br><br>3. So then you and others attempted to blame this discontent on me. And what happens? Someone I virtually never speak with (MATT) comes in here feeling the same heat and baloney. Again, again, and again, there's this little group at MC that think they run the place. They are so arrogant at this point, they come over here and attempt the same.<br><br>I think Terry's starting to really feel it this time too, although he bounces back and forth like a Dolly Parton on a treadmill, so I can't be sure. (Joke Terry.)<br><br>Anyhow, the question isn't how inconsequential or distasteful you find all of this Shoosh. The question is what would you feel like if it happened to you?<br><br>Respectfully,<br><br>NTO1 <br><br> <br><br>Do you rhumba? Excellent! Now pick a rhumba and sit down.. GM
Posted by: Entish

Re: Ladies and gents - 05/24/02 09:42 PM

gosh mate as has been said.. we have all been there.<br>this is the internet.. it is not the public bar .. where an argument may lead to physical reasons for discontent..<br>I have felt, yes quite offended by things people have managed to write on forums, directed at me.. but I have also learnt that if they are going to say such things then.. no amount of self defence is going to sway them to change their tack.<br><br>That people need to bring their phobias into world view simply means that they are in dire need of psychological assitance.<br><br> There are ways to avoiding these bottlenecks of guttersniping threads and that is; to change your settings so that you do not read posts in the default order... customize your profile so that you only visit the forums that interest you..<br><br>Much can be done if the knee-jerk reaction is bypassed.<br><br>
Posted by: Terry11

Re: Ladies and gents - 05/24/02 10:22 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>he bounces back and forth like a Dolly Parton on a treadmill<p><hr></blockquote><p>And a fine bounce it is... <br><br>Seriously though... I don't feel a need to choose between MC and MM. I drop by both and read what's available. I don't feel a need to comment on every subject, but just because I don't post a lot, that doesn't mean I'm not around.<br><br>I'm a little surprised to see such childish behavior surfacing from some of the most unlikely places. This 'us and them' attitude never existed at MC before, nor did the follow the leader and root him on thing... hard for me to understand anyone being so shallow.<br><br>But that's just me. My independence has been criticized by many over the years, but my life is a lot less cluttered than most people I know. I sleep like a baby and do a lot of smiling. It's a good thing!<br><br>Good to see you're still kickin' around here. <br><br>Enjoy the weekend.<br><br>

Re: Ladies and gents - 05/25/02 12:40 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Anyhow, the question isn't how inconsequential or distasteful you find all of this Shoosh. The question is what would you feel like if it happened to you?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Oh, I assure you I've been there. When I first started posting to newsgroups, many years ago (before the WWW), anything more than one or two lines was not appreciated. I looked at it as a challenge. I knew if I was going to say what was on my mind, I would have to say it in a way that made people want to read the next line, and the next, and the next. I immediately sensed that it would be a strategic error to respond to flames with in-kind flames, so I responded with something amusing, off the wall, and yet always with a few lines that zapped the flamer with something that made people think, rather than insulting him. Suddenly the flames stopped and people began asking for more. What I found over time was that every single newsgroup I stayed around in fora while became conversational and developed a "family" feel. <br><br>But believe me, my entry into nearly every group was won only after a series of challenges and/or flames. My attitude is that I've got the same right to be there as anyone else. I don't do power trips, mind games, or slander, so I'm not being automatically offensive. Objections to me or my posting have to be personal preference. And if they're personal preference, then I've just as much right as the protestor, so it doesn't bother me; I just go on posting. <br><br>Really, we all get down, have our moods, say the wrong thing, get lazy, or just flat out get mad once in a while and want to let the world have it. In those times, people may call us on it. You can go with them, against them, ignore them, rise above them... whatever... but to go on so about it seems so pointless to me. Whether you're reaching an audience of one or an audience of 1000, you have the opportunity to do some good in the world, even just raise someone's spirits, when you post in a forum. Why waste that opportunity? It's a privilege to be read by someone else. For someone to take the time to open your message and read it... that's a privilege! Seriously! It's like being published. Believe me, there are authors published in literary journals who get less readership than we get in these forums. Tell me a bar where you can stand up repeatedly, night after night, and say fully what's on your mind without interruption, and everyone sits and listens until you're through, then the next person speaks, and so on. It is an honor to me that you guys read this very message.<br><br>That's why I say "why waste it?" <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I was booted from the Mosaic because I wouldn't jump thru specified hoops that I wasn't obliged to. With no fair warning, YOU took on THEIR attitude and decided that as long as a bunch of bullies thought something was true, than by God it was. As I say below, this new MC thug attitude isn't about what is right, but only if you're on the right side.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I assure you it's not how it happened. I didn't take anyone's side; I merely responded to you. When it started smelling like trouble, those of us who were working 24 hour days for it (just because we wanted it to be something everyone would be proud of), simply did not feel that there was any obligation on anyone's part to deal with trouble. We were the ones who felt bullied, and we dealt with the bully. That's just this poster's perspective; I'm not speaking for anyone else. As I said before, I'm really sorry we don't see eye-to-eye on it. Time will heal this, though; just be patient about it.<br><br>Each day is a good day to be alive and have the privilege of talking to so many people and hearing what they each have to say.<br><br>Shooshie<br><br><br>Shooshie's Stuff
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Ladies and gents - 05/25/02 04:01 AM

Noooooooo, anything but one of your really LONG posts! Please spare us.<br><br><br><br>Like I said to you once before, Shoosh, you write really well and you generally have great things to say. It is just really hard though sometimes to read them entirely due to their length and I usually don't make it all the way through.<br><br>Not a personal attack in any way, just an observation on how I feel about really LONG posts. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Ladies and gents - 05/25/02 04:10 AM

[ evil laugh ] Then help get this forum off this revolving door of criticism! <br><br>And I just MIGHT consider your request. hehehehehe....<br><br><br>Shooshie<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff

Re: Ladies and gents - 05/25/02 04:27 AM

Fortunately, I haven't posted much to keep that nasty bunch of threads going. You know me, short and to the point.<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Ladies and gents - 05/25/02 04:39 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You know me, short and to the point.<p><hr></blockquote><p>You too? I'm only 5'1" myself. <br><br>

Re: Ladies and gents....hey 5' 1" guy! - 05/25/02 07:29 AM

Nope, I am 5' 9 1/2" last time I looked. At what age does one start shrinking? I tower over you then Steve, any dwarfs in your family tree that we might want to know about? <br><br>Are you related to the famous Greenblatt (before the name was Americanized it was Gruenblatt) dwarfs of Hamburg? What an interesting bunch they are. Hedwig Greenblatt was well known for her sexual escapades with seafaring Hanseatic captains of the time, I guess it got kinda kinky at times. She ended up in NYC at the end of her career, thus the name eventually was changed to what it is today. I think there is a statue somewhere of her in Manhattan, but it is kind of small, about 4' 2" I think.<br><br><br><br>Better check that family tree Steve!<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mikeb_X on 05/25/02 10:34 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Ladies and gents....hey 5' 1" guy! - 05/25/02 07:45 AM

Jeez, Mike! I was tryin' to keep all that under wraps. Now you've blown my cover.<br><br>My paternal GPs immigrated here from Hungary. Don't know a hell of a lot more than that. And given what you've just described, I don't think I wanna know. <br><br>Oh, and you may "tower" over me, Mike, but remember this, big fella:<br>When it rains, you get wet first! <br><br>

Look Out! He Means It! *NT* - 05/25/02 08:22 AM

NT messages not allowed.<br><br>[color:red]John</font color=red>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Well, now that Greenblatt's out - 05/25/02 10:14 AM

. . . type it into Google. What fun. Your highschool, college, a play/musical you went to in Brooklyn, your web page, resume, and you clip your toenails once every six months!<br><br>

Re: Well, now that Greenblatt's out - 05/25/02 10:25 AM

What? Nothing about Hedwig Gruenblatt on Google? Maybe that was the Gruenberg family then, must have gotten the names mixed up. You're off the hook Steve, what a relief! Now about that toenail thing........<br><br>

Re: Ladies and gents....hey 5' 1" guy! - 05/25/02 10:28 AM

It never rains in California, don't you know that Steve? So no matter if you are short or tall, it just doesn't matter!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Well, now that Greenblatt's out - 05/25/02 10:29 AM

Kate, you're making it difficult for the JD. I'm supposed to be in the witness protection program. If you keep this up, Boris and Natasha are gonna find me.<br><br>

Re: Ladies and gents....hey 5' 1" guy! - 05/25/02 10:32 AM

Ok then. Stand next to be big guy, I need me some shade. <br><br>(Now I know where that dry sense of humor comes from)<br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Well, now that Greenblatt's out - 05/25/02 10:40 AM

Boris and Natasha. Couple of my dads favorite people on Bullwinkle!<br><br>Witness program? Ah so, well those stupid feds are sure dumb! They gave you the same name and face as some dude on another forum close to here. Go figger. . .His cap beacon light is better than yourn though. <br><br>

Re: Well, now that Greenblatt's out - 05/25/02 10:42 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Ah so, well those stupid feds are sure dumb!<p><hr></blockquote><p>Whaddaya expect? They use PeeCees!<br><br>

Re: Well, now that Greenblatt's out - 05/26/02 09:05 PM

Now that is too much power in the hands of one little old lady.<br><br>I always said the Internet would come to no good...<br><br>:-)<br><br>deebee<br><br>