worse than directions to the bathroom...

Posted by: lislaz

worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 03:50 PM

Not only am I still a prime target for asking for directions as most of you know (all my complaining and occasional ribbing from some MMers) -- now the cart next to me has deemed it fit to give inquiring customers my name and told them to ask me where whatever is. <br><br>So I'm getting people who look like total strangers call me by name and asking me where the post office/bank/whatever is. I'm looking at them trying to figure out if I know them and my memory is just that bad or my hearing is going. <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:09 PM

I'm thinking you need a price list. I could give you the one on my Oasis Bordello mug, but I don't think you would want that. How about one that says bathroom directions 50.<br>Bank $1. Post Office 75. etc.<br>Or maybe just a tip jar for questions.<br><br><br><br><br>[color:red]Oh give me a home...</font color=red>
Posted by: PointBreak

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:15 PM

You need to ask the management for a uniform and a nice conspicuous hat that says Information in flashing letters<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:22 PM

Sometimes it's hard enough getting them to say thank you! They also start walking away while I'm telling them where to go. I start giving directions...."you go straight down this wa--...uh...muttermuttermutter..hope you get lost you ungrateful...what? oh yes, I wasn't done with giving you directions!" (insert fake grin)<br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:30 PM

Here's my 2 cents:<br><br>1, I would refer them to the information booth if possible.<br>2. Play dumb, when they call out your name just say she's not here right now.<br>3. Unless you really like the spot your in, see if you can move.<br>4. Say "hi" and instead of giving directions, start showing them what your selling, you never know you may sell something in the process.<br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:30 PM

You could do like some of the people we encountered on our trip - act like you don't speak English. Shrug a lot unless they want to purchase something. <br><br>[color:red]Oh give me a home...</font color=red>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:32 PM

You da man, Ruben. That's good advice.<br><br>[color:red]Oh give me a home...</font color=red>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:35 PM

It's in my nature to answer someone if my name is called or if i'm asked where something is and I know where it is. Too bad for me if a few people tend to be terribly rude..trust me, I've learned some tricks to help me get through the moment. <br><br>I'd love to wing the "i ah-speaka no English" bit but wouldn't it look rather odd if I played dumb until they decided to buy something? hehehe <br><br>It was just disconcerting to hear my name and look up to see someone I totally didn't recognize.<br><br>edit Yes I do refer them to customer service for the most part. And unfortunately, the girls in the other cart give my name and point me out to the inquirer! <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lislaz on 09/15/03 07:37 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:37 PM

When you mentioned the not speaking english part, it reminded me of the Three Stooges skit where they're in Mexico and they run into this fellow who say's Goodbye when he wants to say hello, and Hello when he 's ready to say goodbye. Simply funny, one of my favorites. <br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:43 PM

It's tough being the nice guy or gal, you don't want to be rude and scare away potential customers, but at the same time your frustration sometimes takes the best of you.<br><br>Hang in there it could be worse, you could have nobody talking to you.<br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:46 PM

Amen! <br><br>(psst...hurry up Ruben...just a few more and you're GOLDEN with the Executive Membership! I hear you get a key or something....)<br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:48 PM

Ohh, you made me look! <br><br>Hey considering when you signed on, your not too far behind!<br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:53 PM

yeah...I've really made posting progress, huh? <br><br>koffkoffpaddingkoffkoffkoff<br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:56 PM

Ahh, your friends and family would be proud!<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 04:59 PM

What's your cart-neighbor's name? When you give directions to the lav's, tell them it's a pay toilet, and that so-and-so at the other cart will lend them some change! <br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 05:07 PM

lend them the change??!! hahaha..that'd be funny. <br><br>"Yes, please...may I have a dollar's worth in dimes? The lady in the other cart said you needed 10 dimes to enter the bathroom." <br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 05:38 PM

When they are rude, you simply give them the WRONG directions. The worst wrong directions I ever gave: I told someone how to get to the Nantucket Bridge, which doesn't exist. It takes 2 hours to get to Nantucket by ferry. Then I told a couple of rude, obnoxious men where there was a 24 hour bait shop open after they kept arguing with me and insisting that there HAD to be a bait shop open at 10 pm SOMEWHERE. It was a 2 hour drive... but I didn't mention that. <br><br>An artist I know tells rude people who bother him when he's painting outdoors, "What do I look like? The Chamber of Commerce?"<br><br>Of course, if people are polite about it, I'm more than happy to give them directions. It's just the rude, obnoxious people...<br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 06:02 PM

I have a new ideo for a MacMinute community project!!!<br><br>The MacMinute Mall Map Mosaic!! (The MMMMM for short.)<br><br>We each get a destination (bathroom, post office, etc.), design it up real pretty, then we put it together and enjoy! We send it around for everyone to sign and hang it at Lisa's cart.<br><br>What do ya think?? <br><br>
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 07:19 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I have a new ideo for a MacMinute community project!!!<br><br>The MacMinute Mall Map Mosaic!! (The MMMMM for short.)<br><br>We each get a destination (bathroom, post office, etc.), design it up real pretty, then we put it together and enjoy! We send it around for everyone to sign and hang it at Lisa's cart.<br><br>What do ya think??<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Mmmm... Milla Jovovich... Darn it sKrue, you're distracting me.<br><br>Lisa, I think you need to tell the other cart person that it annoys you when she refers lost people to you.<br><br>-Matt<br><br>P.S. Get any rain over in Lancaster today, Sam?<br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 07:46 PM

"Mmmm... Milla Jovovich... Darn it sKrue, you're distracting me."<br><br>Haha! Be glad I skipped over Fifth Element sig pic #3. I felt it was a little blue for the young kids here in the forum.<br><br>We got rain on and off today. The kind that annoys you when you try to figure out what setting to use on your intermitten wipers.<br><br>
Posted by: LoveTheBomb

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 08:03 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Haha! Be glad I skipped over Fifth Element sig pic #3. I felt it was a little blue for the young kids here in the forum.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Actually, I was playing around with that url looking for other sig pics and I found the one right before "Activate Thermal Bandages". <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>We got rain on and off today. The kind that annoys you when you try to figure out what setting to use on your intermitten wipers.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Thats exactly what we got, but it was flooding about 10 miles west of where I live. I just can't wait for Isabel, though... I'll probably be heading to New York City as it travels between philly and NYC<br><br>-Matt<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 09:08 PM

If you ever need a cure for Milla, just watch her starring in this flick: The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc. It's a stinker.<br><br><pre>** Facts are expensive. Opinions are cheap. **</pre><p>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 09:17 PM

[bashful]Uh, I liked it.[/bashful]<br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 09:25 PM

I'm all for the MMMMM project!! Woohoo! Do we send the tiles to the tilecat? <br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 09:30 PM

Matt...that's probably what I'm going to do. There certainly is customer service and it ISN'T ME. Thanks for everyone's input...including Milla's.<br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 10:26 PM

Milla's input..... mmmmm......<br><br>(Get it? MMMMM as in the mosaic, and mmmmm as in that sounds good. Get it? Do ya? Get it?) <br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/15/03 10:29 PM

yeahyeahyeah...(hopes Sam stops nudging her with his elbow)...uh-huh....yes, i got it, I got it!!<br><br><br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/16/03 12:20 AM

So you got it then?<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/16/03 04:58 AM

Me too. I thought it was pretty good. The directing style was definitely not mainstream Hollywood, so it threw a lot of people off.<br><br>
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/16/03 07:27 AM

I'm sorry to hear about this. How annoying that the other cart sends these people to you. But fear not. I have some ideas that may be of help.<br><br>Have an empty soup can next to your cart with a cardboard arrow pointing at it, that says 'Bathroom'. When they come over to you, just point.<br><br>Speaking of signs, hang a chalkboard on your cart, titled "Number of bozo's asking where the bathroom is." And use that brillant lime green chalk so it's the first thing they see. As soon as they see that, they'll go somewhere else.<br><br>If you see the other cart sending someone your way, whip out your cell phone and pretend your on a very important call. <br>"What is grandma doing on the roof again? Grandma? Get down... and stop flashing the postman!" <br>"They bought out my stock? I'm rich? How rich? OH MY GOSH!" <br>"Yes, tonight is fine. A full moon. All I need is a sacrifice. I'm waiting for the right one to come to my cart. Hang on, I think I see one now." <br><br><br>Things you can say to someone that asks for directions:<br><br>"I can tell you, but the cart you just came from supplies toilet paper." This also works for the bank, just trade toilet paper for deposit slips.<br><br>"I can't believe they did this again. They know where it is, they just don't like talking to ugly people, but I don't mind."<br><br>"I used to know but I moved your cart to a new location and now I'm all turned around. You could end up peeing in the planters outside the Scientology building."<br><br>"I'm a mobil branch of the bank. I can take your cash\check right here. Simply endorse to my name..."<br><br>"Sure I konw where the bathroom is. It's just down the hall from my living room, second door on the left. I left the back door unlocked. Please put the seat down when you're done."<br><br>"Hang on a second. There it is again! Do you hear those voices?"<br><br>"OH! I never go there since that thing crawled out of the toilet."<br><br><br><br>The thread killer

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/16/03 12:19 PM

Good grief Skul...you're bloody brilliant!<br><br>Got some good ones too..I like the bit about the other cart not talking to ugly people..heeheehee!<br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/16/03 02:06 PM

awwwwww shucks, thanks<br><br>The thread killer
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/16/03 02:09 PM

Treat it as opportunity! Not that it will always result in something positive, but it sure can't hurt to have a steady string of new faces coming by your cart and talking to you. A good opportunity for sales, if you just figure out the right approach. <br><br><br><br><br>Shooshie<br><br>[color:green]Pictures and things</font color=green>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/16/03 02:21 PM

You're right, it is a good opportunity for future sales. If they remember me as someone pleasant, hopefully they come back. More often than not though they're doing the dance of the bathroom and tend to be in a hurry. Hopefully I get them when they're in a less hurried mood.<br><br>By the way, I told the other cart to stop sending people to me. <br><br>

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/16/03 02:58 PM

Good for you. Of course if you want to increase the chance of a return customer, you could follow them to the bathroom.<br><br>The thread killer

Re: worse than directions to the bathroom... - 09/16/03 03:12 PM

AAUUUUUUUUGH!! Why are you following me??!!! Okay, okay...here's your money....now getoutgetoutgetout!!!<br><br><br><br>