Mozilla... when will you go final???

Posted by: MacGizmo

Mozilla... when will you go final??? - 05/09/02 10:17 AM

I really enjoy OmniWeb, but I'm ALWAYS willing to switch browsers. So far, Mozilla is the only thing that looks even remotely promising. But, it seems to be forever stuck in "beta mode". When will we see a "final release" and how much crap will Netscape throw into it. Will it be called Netscape 7? Anyone have any wisdom to share on this?<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Mozilla... when will you go final??? - 05/09/02 01:13 PM

The same exact thing can be said for OmniWeb!! They are constantly posting beta's and sneaky peeks (which are up in the 80's now!!). I'm so ready for Chimera to advance more..that will be my browser of choice.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Mozilla... when will you go final??? - 05/09/02 01:43 PM

Chimera will be ready when Mozilla is, since Chimera uses Mozilla's Gecko rendering engine and other Mozilla technologies.<br><br>--<br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: Mozilla... when will you go final??? - 05/09/02 01:45 PM

I feel like such a MS slug. I still like to use IE 5. I've tried Omniweb and Mozilla. I just can't seem to find a reason to stop using IE.<br><br>

Re: Mozilla... when will you go final??? - 05/09/02 03:16 PM

Yes, but OmniWeb HAS a full version available, it's just that with all the improvements, everyone likes to keep up with the SP's.<br><br>Actually, the only part of Mozilla that I really like it the "themes" and Tabbed Browsing... but those are two very big ticket items, IMHO.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Mozilla... when will you go final??? - 05/09/02 09:11 PM

I think the Mozilla 1.0 final release should be out soon. I know they were shooting for April at one point. Can't be too far away. I really like this browser, it really kicks butt! The tabbed browsing is so cool. I have sets of tabs set up now for my mac sites, sailing, Boxster/Porsche, banking/finance, news/search, work (so I can switch easily between live, stage and dev versions of our site for testing), osx theme sites. Tabs are neat, couldn't live without them now that I have tasted tabbed browsing.<br><br>
Posted by: snag

Re: Mozilla... when will you go final??? - 05/09/02 09:11 PM

i dunno, it seems pretty complete to me. Now that i can even use it for banking i have no reason whatsoever to use anything else. I get the odd glitch with poorly coded flash sometimes but other than that it works for everything i need it for and it's fast. I suspect we'll see version 1.0 before very much longer, perhaps by summer's end (just in time for Jaguar!).<br><br>
Posted by: six_of_one

Tab Sets? - 05/09/02 10:49 PM

How do you create sets of Tabs? Or are they just sets of bookmarks that you open individually as tabs?<br><br>I can't seem to find any info on this at Mozilla.org ...<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>

Re: Mozilla... when will you go final??? - 05/10/02 03:34 AM

I think it will be out sooner than summer's end. We are already at RC1, so 1.0 final release is very close -- not the four months you are thinking. Of course, having said that I hope I am not going to have to eat my words! And yes, the RC1 release is already very complete, no reason not to use it.<br><br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mikeb_X on 05/10/02 06:35 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Tab Sets? Info and screenshot - 05/10/02 03:52 AM

I started out with just one set of tabs for the Mac sites I go to every day. So, I thought, hey I can do the same for any other group of places I go to all the time. So here is what you do. Wherever you haappen to be at the moment with your browser, just select new tab (cmd T), then type in or use your bookmarks to make that tab whatever you want it to be. Now click on the original tab (the one that was the single one) and go to a URL that you want to add to the tabbed set you are creating. Keep adding tabs to that set as you wish, then do File Bookmark and Save as Group, you got it! Sure is a neat way to switch between sites quickly, here's a screenshot. You will notice I have sets of tabs for Bank/Finance, Boxsster, a Mactab, News/Search, OSX Themes, Sailing and Work. Damn that's neat!<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Tab Sets? Info and screenshot - 05/10/02 08:44 AM

Hey! It works!<br><br>Very Slick!<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>

Re: Tab Sets? Info and screenshot - 05/10/02 09:59 AM

Thanks Mike... was wondering how to "Group" them like that.<br><br>So, will it be called Netscape (7?) or will the release it under another name alltogether?<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: morserj

Re: Tab Sets? Info and screenshot - 05/10/02 05:43 PM

same as Gizmo, I was wondering if/how you could do that. Thanks! <br><br>Ryan<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by morserj on 05/10/02 08:46 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Tab Sets? Info and screenshot - 05/11/02 05:02 AM

I have no idea if it will be called NS 7 or not. I do believe that NS 7 will be basically the same as Mozilla, but with the NS add-ons that we all don't really want. But, I also believe that since Mozilla is open source, you will also be able to get just Mozilla without all the Netscape/AOL crap thrown in.<br><br>