Printer Manufacturers versus Refillers

Posted by: Anonymous

Printer Manufacturers versus Refillers - 05/06/02 07:02 AM

An interesting article on CNN about how the big printer manufacturers are doing their utmost to ensure high prices for coloured water (ink). Link here.<br><br>I love the weasel words coming from the public relations types of the printer manufacturers, trying to explain why a plastic box full of coloured water can cost nearly as much as the printer it is designed for! And why those "killer" chips they are putting in the cartridges these days are really, somehow, believe us, honest-to-Pete, Good For the Consumer®. Yeah, that's the ticket!<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no...</font color=red>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Printer Manufacturers versus Refillers - 05/07/02 08:18 PM

I agree that the price of cartridges is outrageous. On the other hand, I've gotten some really really rotten cartridged from cheap manufacturers. Ink4Art comes to mind as a place where I'll never again shop for cheap Epson compatibles.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Printer Manufacturers versus Refillers - 05/07/02 09:48 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>And why those "killer" chips they are putting in the cartridges these days are really, somehow, believe us, honest-to-Pete, Good For the Consumer®.<p><hr></blockquote><p>And isn't it insulting to think we might actually believe that?<br><br>drjohn<br><br>
Posted by: Mactico

Re: Printer Manufacturers versus Refillers - 05/07/02 10:01 PM

Last week if you purchased two ink cartridges, you obtain a free printer from Lexmark(Z32) here in C.R.<br><br>

Try These Guys - 05/08/02 06:42 AM

MIS Associates provide a decent product. They aren't the lowest priced refillers/bulk ink providers, but they do care about their business. (I have no connection apart from being a customer.)<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need...</font color=red>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Printer Manufacturers versus Refillers - 05/08/02 05:20 PM

I've never had a problem with the cartridges from Ink4Art. It does take several cleanings to get them primed properly, but, other than that, they've been fine for me.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Printer Manufacturers versus Refillers - 05/08/02 08:26 PM

Wish I could say the same, MacBozo. For me, the repeated cleaning that the cartridges require make a mess of the rollers that feed the paper, so that every sheet is marked with ink blotches. And when that isn't happening, the ink just seems to dry up completely and will not allow itself to be primed (what a strange verb sequence, considering it's an inanimate object, but I don't know how else to put it).<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: Shooshie

Easy cure for the Big Shots - 05/08/02 11:36 PM

If the big shots of the printing business want to keep that market share, there is an easy way to do it, and it's actually built right into the Capitalist model: sell their damn, #$%^, (%*%%, #$#$# ink cartridges at a competitive price! That translates to about half what they're asking for them.<br><br>I found an ink cartridge to refill my Epson Stylus Photo 870 not long ago which is ONE HALF the price of Epson's. I was blown away. Ok... there is one small caveat: the heads clogged up a lot easier than they do on Epson's cartridges. But, I may be too critical. Epson's heads clog up, too, and unpredictably. Leave 'em sit for more than a week, and you'll use half the cartridge just running those cleaning routines. <br><br>What the heck? At this rate, I can throw away a quarter of the cartridge and STILL come out on top. Half the price. $7.98 for a 5-color cartridge that I've seen for as much as $28 (but usually for about $16.xx) It's a crime. <br><br>Oh, and get this: when I put that cartridge in the printer, a dialogue comes up saying "your printer cannot identify this cartridge. Epson advises you to remove it and get a genuine Epson cartridge to avoid damage to your printer." Then it has a button to cancel and another to continue. If it would damage the printer, then why the button to continue? Ha! <br><br>Sorry, Epson. I guess you're going to have to start charging competitive rates. <br><br>Shooshie<br><br>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-<br><br>Shooshie's Stuff

Continuous Flow System - 05/09/02 06:33 AM

Your 870 is one of the models supported by the continuous flow system sold by MIS. If you do a lot of printing, this is one way to go. And the cost of cleaning the heads is minimal, since these guys sell their ink by the gallon, if you prefer (though that is a lot of ink!!!)<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't...</font color=red>
Posted by: Shooshie

Looks great... but... - 05/09/02 07:20 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Your 870 is one of the models supported by the continuous flow system sold by MIS. If you do a lot of printing, this is one way to go. <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Currently their chip reset software still does not support Macs. They say that they're working on this problem, but so far they have not released anything other than an external resetter, which requires removing the cartridge, which makes the heads more likely to clog. <br><br>On the other hand, their inks are more permanent. It might be worth using their system no matter the inconvenience. I just hope they come out with Mac software soon. And, it better be for OSX. I'd be really upset if they made us wait all this time and then released a classic version.<br><br>That reminds me, Epson's Classic driver software and utility software is much, much better than that for OS X. I hope they address this discrepancy soon. <br><br>Shooshie<br><br><br><br>Shooshie's Stuff
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Printer Manufacturers versus Refillers - 05/09/02 10:20 AM

I just buy a new printer every 3 months (when the ink cartridges are empty) it's cheaper. Most 8.5x11 printers are less than $79... and the cartridges cost that much, so why not, right! <br><br>This doesn't hold true for large format... I have an HP 1220 (13x18), so I guess I have to keep buying cartridges for it until the printer itself takes a dump.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: Printer Manufacturers versus Refillers - 05/09/02 11:29 AM

My Epson 3000, which can handle a page up to 17 x 22 inches, cost me over $3,000 (Canadian), so I'm in no hurry to replace it. The cartridges cost $85 each and there are four of them, but fortunately they are the easiest to refill of any I know. Refilling brings the price down to $5.00 each and takes less than five minutes. Epson still sells them on their Web site, but hasn't bothered with an OSX driver (probably never will) which is one of the reasons I'm sticking with OS 9.2 for now.<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't...</font color=red>