When do you/will you replace your mac?

Posted by: OSXaddict

When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/06/02 03:15 AM

Just wondering, for those who have been on Macs for awhile, how often you replace your mac and why?<br><br>I have a G4/500 and I use it for home use. When the dual ghz came out, I wanted one so badly! But, I'm gonna wait till the G5 comes out, or a year after they do. Right now mine runs fine, but to have a dual...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm <br><br>
Posted by: mojo_jojo

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/06/02 05:00 AM

We don't seem to replace them, rather we add to our collection. Right now we have three in operation; a PM 5500, blueberry slot loading imac G3 350, and an Indigo imac G3 500 cdrw. A fourth imac, (233), is on loan to my mother-in-law. With six people in our family my ultimate goal is to have six macs. Our next purchase will be the flat panel imac. Probably later this year.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

When Necessary - 05/06/02 07:34 AM

Funny you should ask that right now. I have just decided not to replace my current Mac after pondering a new one for a few months. In the past, I have bought a new Mac every two and a half years or so. Since I use it to make a living, every purchase should be cost-efficient; that's why my rule of thumb has always been not to upgrade unless the new machine is at least twice as fast as the old one. Recent lack of progress in cpu speed has enabled me to put off a purchase for some time.<br><br>Now, the machine I do my work on is an old, rev1 beige G3 desktop which I have upgraded to a 466 Mhz G3 along with a faster video card. The dual gig G4 is definitely at least twice as fast as that, but my other rule of thumb has been to never buy the top-of-the-line, since it generally costs too much relative to the extra speed you might get. The next one down is the 933 mhz G4, which is really only barely twice as fast as my current machine, discounting Altivec.<br><br>So my decision (for now) was to buy a Sonnet Tango USB/Firewire card, more memory and a fast Firewire external hard drive. Fortunately, since most of my work is in Illustrator, I have that option to stand pat; if I used Photoshop all day, my decision might be made for me.<br><br>Ironically, OSX would be detrimental for me. Epson has seen fit not to release drivers for the EPS3000 printer, a wide ethernet printer which cost me $3,000 (Cdn). This despite the fact that Epson still sells it on their Web site! Additionally, there are no PostScript RIPs that I know of which work in OSX. Although I am aware that I will eventually have to go that way, OSX is definitely going to cost me some money and functionality.<br><br>John<br>[color:red]I don't need no...</font color=red>
Posted by: Krasni

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/06/02 09:28 AM

I bought my G4 466 last year, in January. And my iBook this year, in February. First I had an... LC475.<br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Add to the collection - 05/06/02 11:29 AM

appears to be what I've been doing.<br><br>SE30<br>7100av<br>G3 266<br>iMac 800<br><br>Reason for upgrading? I know the difference between what I WANT and what I NEED:<br><br>If I want it -- I need it -- I buy it!<br><br>I also bought a couple of iMac Rev A's for the grandkids (kept them here for a while to play with them long enough to know I didn't want one for myself at the time. Now that I am retired, this flat panel iMac suits me to a "T" (whatever that means ???).<br><br>If I use Lasruk's rule and don't upgrade until something twice as fast, I might not be around to have to worry about upgrading again , but I hope so. I am spending my children's inheritance. <br><br>Kate<br><br>

Re: Add to the collection - 05/06/02 01:02 PM

Actually I should have said adding to the collection..but now I can't edit it.<br><br>Yeah, I agree about not upgrading it unless it's a least double. I think I'll hold off until they do even more upgrading, like the bus speed and all that.<br><br>The only reason I would go top of the line is cause of the dual processors...if they would just go all dual like they did 2 years ago!<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/06/02 01:21 PM

'97 - Mac #1 - 8500/180 - still have it as an internet gateway.<br>'97 - Mac #2 - 6100/66 - bookkeeping & fax - replaced with...<br>'98 - Mac #3 - Rev.A iMac - replaced #2<br>'98 - Mac #4 - 9600/300 - took over graphics work from 8500 - recently upgraded to G4/400 & added 40GB EIDE HD<br>2000 - Mac #5 - 8600/200 - for home - recently upgraded to G4/400 - 40GB EIDE HD being added this week<br><br>No urgency to upgrade to OS X, therefore no urgency to upgrade hardware! YAY!!! <br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>
Posted by: MachOne

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/06/02 01:44 PM

B/W G3 350, 384MB ram. Upraded the HDD to a 30GB 7200rpm one a few months back. Graphics are cr@p. <br><br>Looking to go G4 933 with 1GB ram and 60GB HDD, plus better graphics, sometime in June. OS X will be on it so I guess I'll be dipping my toe in the OS around then. (At least then I should begin to understand what some of these X posts are about) <br><br>Probably won't upgrade again for 3-4 years.<br><br>G5? What G5...*sigh*<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/06/02 02:27 PM

We accumulate them as well. So far the only Mac that I've owned that has died is a Classic II, which gave up the ghost about a year ago--I'm sure it's fixable, but it's not worth the money. The 512Ke is still plugging away, though .<br><br>About buying a new machine. I got my son an iBook last year, so it'll probably be a while before we acquire another computer. I do lust after the DP Gig, though.<br><br>So who doesn't, right? <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/06/02 03:45 PM

MachOne, I would recommend waiting till after MWNY in July before getting a new mac. Either you will get a better Mac at the same price as the current 933 or the 933 will be a lot cheaper! <br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/06/02 04:30 PM

I've owned my imac Rev/A since August 15th, 1998... it's "birthday" so to speak...<br><br>We've upgraded the hard drive, the ram and the process (to a G4/466)... but its starting to show its age...<br><br>The video card in it is quite bad, and I can't play many games on it anymore... Also, there aren't any firewire ports, so most of the peripherals I own are slow, and they were the cheap models or the "first" model to hit the streets, so they aren't terribly supported by OS X, which I use all the time...<br><br>I'd love to upgrade, but I'm still paying off my student loans, and the like, so we'll wait probably another year, or maybe buy a laptop (thinking ibook) so we can surf from the couch this fall, though it's doubtful...<br><br>So, and even when I "upgrade" this iMac will still stick around doing something, if nothing other than serving files over our home network, or being an FTP host, or something...<br><br><br>"Great necessities call out for great virtues."<br>--Abigail Adams<br>
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/06/02 04:30 PM

Spring, 1984 - 128K Mac<br>December, 1984 - 512K Upgrade for the 128K Mac <br>Spring, 1986 - 2 Megabyte Upgrade and 10 MB "Hyperdrive" for the 128K/512K Mac<br>Spring, 1987 ? 88? Macintosh SE<br>December, 1991 - Performa 400 (for the kids) with color monitor<br>Summer, 1993 - Macintosh 660 AV <br>December, 1995 - Performa 6300 (kids)<br>December, 1997 - Motorola StarMax 5500 604/200 (for my son)<br>Spring, 1998 - Motorola StarMax 5500 604/200 (for me)<br>December, 1999 - iMac DV G3/400(Tangerine) for my daughter<br>May, 2000 - G3/400 Firewire Powerbook--"Pismo"<br>Spring, 2001 - Dual G4/450 Tower (for my son)<br>Summer, 2002 ?? Winter?? Spring 2003? Dual 1GHz or greater planned.<br><br>And I wonder why I'm not rich? Geez! Anyone in the market for a computer boneyard? My warehouse is open for auction.<br><br>Shooshie<br><br><br><br>Shooshie's Stuff
Posted by: MachOne

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/06/02 04:40 PM

Good heads-up. It's been so long since I got the G3, I've been hanging out for a replacement.<br><br>Still, after all this time, another few weeks shouldn't be a problem. So, after MWNY it is. <br><br>

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/06/02 05:20 PM

Hey John! Got my iMac on the 14th! "Premature" - had to promise my retailer I wouldn't "make any noise" about it at the time.<br><br>If and when Sonnet releases a G4/500+ processor card, I may consider an upgrade. Otherwise, for simple bookkeeping and faxxing, she's a charm!<br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/07/02 01:31 AM

I bought my 7300/180 5 years ago, running non-stop since then. It is upgraded with a 333MHz G3 card. Two years ago I bought the graphite iBook SE 366MHz model. It runs OS X surprisingly well! I added RAM to max it out to 320MB and that really made a big difference. <br><br>The next Mac is going to be a hard choice. On the one hand I am tempted to go for a new Powermac, but then I also want a Titanium Powerbook like the new 800MHz model. I am pretty content with what I have and think I can wait a while longer until the MHz goes even higher. Probably the beginning of next year or so is when I may get a new one, still not sure which way I will go though......laptops sure are handy though. Hmmmm?<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/07/02 06:04 AM

heh... cool, the wife and I drove like 4 hours tournd trip to the only store in Kentucky that was actually selling Apple hardware at the time to get ours...<br><br>it was a fun trip... we'd initially only set out to check out the new iMac, but once we arrived at the store, we couldn't help but buy the last one in stock and take it home...<br><br><br>"Great necessities call out for great virtues."<br>--Abigail Adams<br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/07/02 08:15 AM

SE/30 replaced by IIfx, replaced by IIci, replaced by LC, replaced by Quadra 650, replaced by PowerCenter 132, replaced by G3 beige, added a G4 400, added G4 dual 450, added iBook (500mhz dual USB), added G4 dual ghz.<br><br>Still have the 3 G4's and iBook in use, plus the PowerCenter 132 is used for nothing more than a floppy drive.<br>Sold the G3 for more than I payed for it after 3 years.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/07/02 11:59 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>No urgency to upgrade to OS X, therefore no urgency to upgrade hardware! YAY!!!<p><hr></blockquote><p>There's been only one machine, a beige G3 300, in my computing experience. I've been trying to decide whether to upgrade it to a G4 500, do nothing, or get a new machine so I can begin the frustration of learning a new OS when I hardly understand the old one (9.1). Then too, I'm such a slow learner that the computer seems to have become a hobby. So, being indecisive and nervous about what to do next, and not really wanting to spend the money for a new machine, I've decided to leave everything turned on now that electrical storm season has arrived. I figure I will let nature decide for me. Of course, the foil wrapped phone line does look a bit peculiar but the neighbors haven't complained.<br><br>drjohn <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/07/02 01:11 PM

Not sure about the dates.<br><br>94, Performa 600 CD 33 mhz blistering speed, my first Mac and first ever computer.<br>97 98? Power Tower Pro 225 the last month that Power could sell Macs.<br>00 G4 350 the year they first came out.<br>99 a PC P I since its always broken I forgot what speed or even who made it. There is no lable on the thing either just says Intel Inside?<br><br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/07/02 03:39 PM

I currently have a G4/400 bought 2 years ago. My first computer purchase. Although I wouldn't say no if someone wanted to give me a dual 1 gig machine, I feel no pressing need to upgrade yet. I would like to add a TiBook to my collection. <br><br> I'll be holding off until about a year after the G5 comes out before considering upgrading.<br><br><br><br>

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/07/02 04:41 PM

Good attitude, drjohn!!!<br><br>Cheers!<br><br>[color:red]Alec</font color=red>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/07/02 07:05 PM

LOL. I think you need to add the aluminum foil all the way down the street to the nearest transformer.<br>Your following my first rule of buying a computer. Don't buy it until the day before you are dying to have it. <br>I have a lab that needs a lot of Macs so I get the luxury of buying the newest model or two every July. There are about 30 Macs in the lab right now old and new just doing fine.<br>The longer you hold out, the longer you go without getting the feeling, "sheesh, if I just waited two more weeks I could have had twice as fast for 1/3 the cost".<br><br><br>Paul Morrison ... Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. -Mark Twain
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/07/02 08:04 PM

Gee I wish our labs were (a) Macs and (b) upgraded every year. Instead, we have very slow Windows labs (except for the digital media lab, which is all new G4s, but dedicated) and the rest of us get the even older hand-me-downs. Fortunately one of those hand-me-downs is the de-accessioned G3 B&W that sits in my office.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/07/02 09:37 PM

I got my first Mac, a G4 400 and Studio Display 17 at the end of September 2000. Guess I will buy a new Power Mac when I can afford it.<br><br>But have been wanting to add a notebook, either a Pismo or an iBook, so I can use the G4 strictly for work, and use the notebook for all leisure activities while lying on the sofa (need Airport for that, hmm...).<br><br>--<br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/09/02 10:25 AM

I met someone a few days ago that upgrades every time Apple releases a new "Fastest" model. Right now, he has 8 Towers at his house that are up and running, and 4 more out in the garage. Funny thing is, he lives like a pauper... he "says" he is a computer consultant & multi-media artist, but I just can't imagine there is THAT much Mac consulting work to be found. Of course, multimedia can bring in huge dollars in a relatively short amount of time.<br><br>And people think I'm nuts for upgrading every year & a half.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/09/02 11:07 AM

OSX Addict,<br>You should really know that not only the OS is an addiction but with the purchase of these brand new Macs it is just the same.<br>... wink We are really in a luxury position, with all this great hard and software available every day.<br><br>

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/09/02 01:15 PM

Oh yeah..I fully realize that the hardware is addicting too!! But I have seen too many Macaddict people out there that I thought I would use OSX Addict <br><br>Plus I really am addicted to OSX..I love it..ok, well, not love, but a strong liking for it <br><br>

Re: When do you/will you replace your mac? - 05/09/02 02:40 PM

I think the Titanium would look pretty sweet in that Boxster of yours.<br><br>