Is memorial day a day of rememberance?

Posted by: johnengler

Is memorial day a day of rememberance? - 05/28/01 06:33 PM

I ask just to see where your sentiment is:<br><br>"It is, in a way, an odd thing to honor those who died in defense of our country, in defense of us, in wars far away. The imagination plays a trick. We see these soldiers in our mind as old and wise. We see them as something like the Founding Fathers, grave and gray<br>haired. But most of them were boys when they died, and they gave up two lives--the one they were living and the one they would have lived. When they died, they gave up their chance to be husbands and fathers and grandfathers. They gave up their chance to be revered old men. They gave up everything for our country, for us. And all we can do is remember." --Ronald Reagan<br><br><br>***<br>"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people." -John Adams
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Is memorial day a day of rememberance? - 05/28/01 06:52 PM

well... i only wonder who wrote that for raygoon... Bill Safire, perhaps? <br><br>jingoism has long been seen to be one of the last refuge of scoundrels. religion is another. i can say no more... heh heh<br><br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions..." Jefferson
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re:here it is ANZAC day - 05/28/01 09:00 PM

A month before yours.. April 25th. When we remember the fallen of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps that were landed on that indescribable bloodbath of Gallipoli Beach ...and of those that fought in more recent conflicts. We also have Rememberence Day on 11th of the 11th at 11AM..when one minutes silence is held nationwide. <br>In an age of reduction/amalgamation of public holidays... Anzac Day is the one that stands out as being of such national importance to withstand any such attacks on its status. <br><br>Let no one take from us the day that we thank those whom tossed their lives like crumpled rags upon the altar of our freedom.<br><br>Wonder why we try so hard ...wonder why we try at all...<br>You wonder why the world is turning around When in the end it won't matter at all..Ray Thomas

Re:here it is ANZAC day - 05/29/01 04:54 AM

Glad to know that you folks down under remember your fallen comrades as well....<br><br>(btw, you might want to update your "profile" as the website listed there has two 'http://'s listed in it... I think one is missing the ":" so it's showing up twice)<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re:here it is ANZAC day - 05/29/01 06:47 AM

the last bloody damn thing i want to be confronted with when i awake is some damned bible quote, i can tell you that. it is wholly unappreciated. Proselytizing has disastrous consequences... it tends to promote resentment, intolerance, barbarism, and has often proved quite useful for various forms of political imperialism.<br><br><br><br>~~~~~<br>Genesis 13:8-10 Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left.<br><br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions..." Jefferson
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re:here it is ANZAC day - 05/30/01 08:55 PM

that's a great quote from Reagan.<br><br>Even though I served in Desert Storm..I don't feel like a vet like the WW1 and WW2 people. <br><br>Unfortunately I think our young people (ha..like I'm old!) are forgetting what Memorial Day is all about.<br><br>

Re:here it is ANZAC day - 05/30/01 09:58 PM

Ditto.<br><br>I served two years as a Tanker:<br><br>http://home.earthlink.net/~englers/yakima99/ <br><br>though I never saw any combat missions, I truly enjoyed it, and would do it again if my country needed me to.... I don't feel like a "vet" even though I know that technically I am one...<br><br>At least I do respect the things that our ancestors have done for us, no matter the "right" or "wrong" of the conflict - the fact that they served (you included Addict) makes me respect them and their generations even more.<br><br>Americans of the late 20th Century onward don't know what strife is. A recession is one thing. A War is another...<br><br>Thank you to all of the veterans out there... <br><br>On a side note, Pearl Harbor sucked when it comes to showing what the War was about, and how the country really dealt with it. Saving Private Ryan was much better at that... hell even Thin Red Line was...<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re:here it is ANZAC day - 05/30/01 10:12 PM

heh, speaking of thin lines... check out the movie "Thin Blue Line" sometime<br><br>WW2 vets have my undying respect and awe... on the other hand, i feel badly for the Korean and Vietnam vets...<br><br>btw, any omission of mention on my part of one or another conflict or theatre of war does not necessarily mean anything and should not be construed as what you may think it means. heh heh<br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson

Re:here it is ANZAC day - 05/30/01 10:26 PM

Dewd, <br><br>ever seen "The Beast"? <br><br>It's coming out on DVD soon... great movie about Tanks and not focusing on an American conflict... Russia in Afganistan is the subject battle/war.<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re:here it is ANZAC day - 05/30/01 10:32 PM

dewd, <br><br>can't find "thin blue line" on netflix.com... is it out on VHS?<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re:here it is ANZAC day - 05/30/01 10:35 PM

yes, Russia had her chance to become embroiled in an unwinnable war, they had their Vietnam... and now, Afghanistan has the Taliban, or Taleban, or whatever spelling you want depending on what country/continent you are on... of course, the USA was somewhat covertly funding the rebels in Afghan, through very shady dealings with the former (and very dead) President of Pakistan, one General Zia, who was in a Pakistani military plane that was suspiciously blown out of the sky over Pakistan some years back... <br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson