Umbrella time!

Posted by: steveg

Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 11:01 AM

Last Thursday, a few hourse before the blackout, I had a call from a prospective new client that one of my partners and I had pitched in June (the jet charter co. that I had wanted to take from the agency I left last fall). It took them a while to make their decision, but we have a meeting this week to begin the account planning, and there's gonna be a lot of work.<br><br>Just now, I had call from the pres of the agency which owns most of the spirits accounts I work on (yeah, I know, Sunday... WTF?!). He wants to know if I can take on all of the Seagram's VO business — which will effectively double my workload with him!<br><br>CRIPES! It's suddenly pouring. <br><br>*dang, there goes my post-padding down the drain* <br><br>
Posted by: bird

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 11:27 AM

Congrats! I know the expression "let a smile be your umbrella on a rainy day" fit's you well!! Post padding doesn't invoke a walk to the bank to make a deposit either. I know your pretty tickled about this, come on tell us the truth... <br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 11:39 AM

"which will effectively double my workload with him!" = "which will effectively double my billing with him!" <br><br>way to go Steve.<br><br>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 11:49 AM

*snicker* No no... *giggle* This is business. Must be very *guffawwwwww* serious. *hee hee hee* <br><br>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 11:50 AM

Oh, that. Yeah, even somethin' to make Uncle Sam smile. <br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 11:55 AM

Congratulations.. <br>Hey if you need any photo shoots done around here, just let me know.. Hehe <br><br><br>DigitalEye

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 12:05 PM

Hehe yerself. The jet client does international charters, and if I find myself needing any destination images from your area, expect to hear from me. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 12:08 PM

How about a photo or two from Reading PA? My 2 MP camera is at your disposal--or maybe it's that my camera is disposable? Anyway, congratulations!<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 08/17/03 03:19 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 12:17 PM

I think Reading is a little too pricey for these guys. Too much glitter, y'know... <br><br>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 12:20 PM

You know the Bard's phrase, "all that glitters is not gold"? Think Reading when you hear it <br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 12:21 PM

<br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 12:24 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The jet client does international charters, and if I find myself needing any destination images from your area, expect to hear from me. <p><hr></blockquote><p><br>**Resigning from day job** <br><br><br>DigitalEye

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 12:33 PM

**[i]Me too!** <br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 12:46 PM

Of course if you need images from Louisville...go ask someone else! nah...give me a shout if you do.<br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 12:51 PM

I thought you only had pictures of Hawaii. <br><br>
Posted by: skuldugary

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 01:00 PM

What great news! That's awesome, Steve. Best of luck with the new work.<br><br>The thread killer

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 01:10 PM

I wonder if lizlaz sells extra hands at her cart. Maybe a forum discount? <br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 02:47 PM

Well, you know I live nearby...<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 03:03 PM

Why do I feel like the lotto winner who suddenly has hundreds of new "cousins"? <br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 03:42 PM

Well, let me just say, if you need any photography of the San Francisco area, there's plenty of royalty-free stuff available. So you won't have to pay me to take the photographs, but I'll find them for you for a finder's fee. <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 03:58 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>He wants to know if I can take on all of the Seagram's VO business<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Man! A fifth or two and I'd be done. Salute<br><br>drjohn<br>[i]My photographs[i]

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 04:05 PM

Thanks, but I think I have that angle pretty well-covered. <br><br><br><br>This and quite a few PhotoDisc CDs.<br><br>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 04:25 PM

What, no Veer?<br><br>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 04:31 PM

DOH! Thanks for reminding me! Someone turned me on Veer a few months ago. Had never heard of it before. Still had it in the bookmarks menu. Me fix now. <br><br>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 04:39 PM

I love Veer -- they're an excellent resource, deliver an ultracool monthly catalog and, well, have a badass logo (that's a Good Thing™). <br><br> <br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 04:58 PM

What the he!!<br><br><br>drjohn<br>[i]My photographs[i]
Posted by: sross

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 05:17 PM

Good for you, Steve!<br>Next, they're going to want you to move into their offices.<br><br>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 05:24 PM

I'm just sayin'...Isn't the Seagram's client IN Stamford...?<br><br><br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>
Posted by: lislaz

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 06:24 PM

Extra human extremities? Not yet.....oooh! good idea.<br><br>Good luck Steve...we'll miss you around here.....psst...Shelli...bring out the good vodka!<br><br><br><br>[color:purple]Every day I can afford to open and run my Lislaz cart....is automatically a GREAT DAY.[color:purple]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 06:36 PM

Do it! You can always subcontract what you can't handle yourself. Just add it in on your cost estimate as a reimbursible expense ; )<br><br>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 07:10 PM

Why, yes they are DM. Across the courtyard from where you work. But alas, they're, ah, what did those seagulls say...?<br>MINE! MINE MINE... MINEMINEMINE. MINE!! <br><br>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/17/03 07:23 PM

S'okay...but you know where to find me should you get overloaded...<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/18/03 03:34 PM

What... you knew something I didn't know? That's exactly what they offered me this afternoon!! <br><br>It's a fairly small agency — about 16 people at present, and everyone there is freelance. It's really a consortium, but lotsa growth going on. They're giving me an office (no barter), which includes phones/fax, internet connection, conference room, etc., and a whole new Mac system! And I'm taking over the Crown Royal and VO accounts as creative director. They want me there 3-4 days a week, and I can keep my own clients as eleven22. But they lied about doubling the amount of work... they tripled it — with a guarantee! It's almost too good to be true.<br><br>I have to get them a list of computer hardware and software (and furniture) this week, and by the beginning of next month, I'll be back in Midtown Manhattan on Lexington Ave.<br><br>Got me a shopping list to work on tonight (and a pile of work, too), so I'll be back later.<br><br>*pinches self hard*<br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/18/03 03:53 PM

<br><br>Congratulations Steve!! Wow..that's great news! (As great a news as someone else's..but I'll let him tell about it if he wants)<br><br>Any way you can sneak an extra dual G5 on that list for me?? <br><br>Oh...do you have speaker-phone at work?? hehe..then I can use that joke on you there just kidding! LOL<br><br>My stuff for sale.
Posted by: iRock

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/18/03 05:23 PM

Congrats Steve. Better lots of work than none. And if you need some help, I could 'handle' your Absolut account.<br>I'm sure the other gals would be happy to lend a hand, too.<br><br>[color:red]"... gonna bop you with this here lollipop...!"</font color=red>

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/18/03 05:51 PM

Great news, Steve!<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: Umbrella time! - 08/18/03 07:03 PM

Oooooo. Shaken and stirred! <br><br>