Bought a new house!

Posted by: Anonymous

Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 07:45 AM

We signed a reservation instrument on a new house yesterday! Check it out. <br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/bliemel/PhotoAlbum33.html<br><br>Should be ready to move in around December. The walk-in closet off of the master bathroom could hold a family of 12 illegal immigrants. It's fscking huge!<br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 07:59 AM

Nice looking house, Mike. Take pics when it's done and you moved in!<br><br><br><br>My stuff for sale.
Posted by: Mactico

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:04 AM

Enjoy it with plenty of health. Congratulations.<br><br>[color:red]VIVA EL CHIRRITE</font color=red>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:04 AM

Very impressive! Is this an existing structure, Mike, or are you building? If it's new construction, just make sure you put the GC and all of his subcontractors and vendors through the 3rd degree. You want to make sure they're working for you and not the developer.<br><br>Been through it once before, and it can be a nightmare if you're not on top of every nail and board. But when it works, it's great! <br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:09 AM

Nice digs. Congratulations, Mike!<br><br>alec - OFI
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:13 AM

congrats it's nice<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:16 AM

Pretty nifty, Mike. Enjoy the house (and, if possible, the move too )<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:28 AM

Sweet pile of bricks you're gonna have there! Best of luck!<br><br><br>[color:green]Trying to straddle the fence leaves you with nothing but sore balls.</font color=green>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:41 AM

Congrats! Welcome to the new homeowners club! <br><br>Get ready for the daily shopping trips to Home Depot!<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:43 AM

I am going to be on them like a hawk, Steve! <br><br>Yes, it is a new construction and I have gone through that before, so I kind of know what to do. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:43 AM

You can count on it John!<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:46 AM

There is a Lowe's less than two minutes away down the hill! Oh the joy, I get to hand over a bunch of money to them. Part of the ritual I guess. Fortunately it eventually tapers off to less and less trips to Lowe's or Home Depot over the years. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:47 AM

Thanks German. If the health holds up I can't ask for more!<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 08:49 AM

You sick ba$tard.<br><br><br><br>Moving is something I really, really hate with a passion. But, it will be done and it'll feel good when it is all behind us. <br><br>

heh - 08/17/03 08:58 AM

Sure...but if these guys show up to move you...RUN! <br><br><br><br><br>My stuff for sale.
Posted by: lislaz

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 09:30 AM

Looks like you have a big job ahead of you -- beyond the hassle and headaches, your house will be great I'm sure! The kitchen looks nice and bright (and spacious!) Good luck Mike.<br><br>[color:purple]"I used to be Snow White...but I drifted." Mae West</font color=purple>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 09:50 AM

Excellent! So in which wing will you be housing those of us who plan to move in with you? <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 09:53 AM

Dibs on the guest room!!! (or the computer loft...wherever the G5 ends up...I'm there!)<br><br><br><br>[color:purple]"I used to be Snow White...but I drifted." Mae West</font color=purple>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 09:54 AM

Can I have that kitchen? Please?<br><br>Love it. Congratulations. The views are nice, too. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 09:57 AM

Hehe..I claim the spare bedroom!<br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 10:01 AM

Rats! Should have dibbed the kitchen...<br><br>[color:purple]"I used to be Snow White...but I drifted." Mae West</font color=purple>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 10:08 AM

Sounds like a viable new lodging niche to me: "B&B" (Bed & Broadband) <br><br>
Posted by: walzuhair

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 10:09 AM

Congratulations Mike...<br>However, I have to admit that the analogy used to describe the size of the closet was unpleasant.<br><br><br>DigitalEye

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 10:15 AM

"NOW! Offering bed aaaaaaaaaand BROADBAND!!!!" brought to you by Lislaz, official sponsor of headaches and hassles. <br><br>(to be broadcast at hourly intervals while construction on Mike's house is going on) <br><br><br><br>[color:purple]Every day I can afford to open and run my Lislaz cart....is automatically a GREAT DAY.[color:purple]

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 10:16 AM

*drumroll/cymbal crash*<br><br>
Posted by: garyW

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 10:29 AM

Congratulations. Looks like you just got in at the whistle as the interest rates are heading up and up. The one thing better than a home remodel (pray for me, I begin in about a month) is a new home where you make it your own from the start and can check the progress of construction to make sure everything is just right. Doing anything special? Lap pool, steam sauna, media room, air conditioned garage for the Boxster?<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 10:31 AM

very nice...not to be rude, but i hear stories of the outrageous real estate prices in california and i was hoping you could give a ballpark figure for the typical house in the photo (since it's not your exact home and all). <br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: bird

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 10:54 AM

Sweet!! I love that style home, what a great feeling to see it being built from the ground up. I love the idea of meking the loft into a computer room. I know your cats will love it. So many rooms to explore. It will be fun to see the progress, with the pictures your going to post, right!! <br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:00 PM

WoW super congrates nice home.<br><br>Is that a developemnt project = "track" homes.<br>If so you won't have much control over the sub contractors if any. Track home the developer controls all contractors and their schedules, very different from Owner/Builder.<br><br>You do have after Key Release 3 days at which to submit a Punch List "cosmetic" thats your list for items that needs fixing or touch up paint etc etc. Plus you would normally have a 1 year warrenty on workmanship and a 20 year warrenty for engineered items like foundations.<br><br>Good Luck<br>Hey what flooring your going with??<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:00 PM

Sweet. Congrats.<br><br>Looks like it's pretty far inland (no ocean views)—can you handle being so far away from the boat? <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:05 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Is that a developemnt project = "track" homes.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>Sorry, Carp, 'cause I know everyone else harps on your misspellings, but this is a common one that most people do that drives me nuts. ...So I'm not picking on you, I"m just soapboxing. <br><br>It's TRACT home, not TRACK home. You know. Like developing a tract of land at a time. Like, "she's got HUGE tracts of land."<br><br>While I'm at it, folks, it's DUCT tape, not DUCK tape. Y'know. Like, "Hello, I'd like to talk to you about your ducts. Are your ducts dull, boring?"<br><br>Ahh, two contextual Python/Gilliam references in one post. <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:08 PM

How exciting Mike, it looks lovely. Please make sure you send pictures of yours with your furnishings, etc. when it is done. And for heaven's sake Lena will need a housekeeper!<br><br>[color:red]"... gonna bop you with this here lollipop...!"</font color=red>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:11 PM

You know I had it spelled right the first time and for some reason I deleted the "t" and placed in the 'k" LOL<br><br>Sometimes the correct word just does not look right.<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:11 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>While I'm at it, folks, it's DUCT tape, not DUCK tape. Y'know. Like, "Hello, I'd like to talk to you about your ducts. Are your ducts dull, boring?"<p><hr></blockquote><p>WRONG-O rectangular one. I mentioned this bit of trivia a little while ago. So there! <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:15 PM

No prob ctarp. We all mact mistacts now and thenct. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:23 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>WRONG-O rectangular one. I mentioned this bit of trivia a little while ago. So there!<p><hr></blockquote><p>Steve, Steve, Steve. Such a shame that as a man of the advertising ilk, you are so easily taken by marketing copy. Read the fine print on that very page—there is a difference between what the early "duck" tape they refer to is and today's "duct" tape:<blockquote>Note: To be legally called “Duct Tape” the tape must meet or exceed certain heat requirements. Some Duck® brand Tapes do meet this classification and will tell you so on their label</blockquote><br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:31 PM

square, square, square...<br><br>I first saw this little factoid on the History Channel. Was actually surprised to find this link just now. Yeah, I know it's generically called "duct" tape — especially because of it's use in the HVAC industry. But before there was a "Duck" brand, Duck was the generic term. Daffy, ain't it? <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:36 PM

Honestly, is interesting to me. I suffer from some sort of Cliff Claven's disease, storing useless factoids in my head all the time. Fact remains, however, that over time, duct tape evolved into something that duck tape wasn't. Now Duck Tape® is nothing more than a registered brand name and a marketing gimmick on people's mispronunciation. Anything else calling itself duck tape would be in trademark violation—so now we have to call it duct tape. <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:39 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>duct tape evolved<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>Well I'm a creationist, and AFAIK the tape was created on the first day. How do you suppose God made everything else, eh? <br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:40 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Well I'm a creationist<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hee hee. Ever figure you're in the wrong line of work, then, Yoyo? <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Sez you® ! - 08/17/03 12:42 PM

<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:42 PM

Every time I spend another weekend grading stacks of essays I say to myself, "Self, you really blew it." <br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:44 PM

You always have pick the sticky issues, don't you...<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:45 PM

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck. it ain't tape!! <br><br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:48 PM

[color:red]DUCK!!!!</font color=red><br><br>She's got GMD! (Gifs of Mass Distraction) <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:52 PM

speek for yurself SteveG. I never mack mistaiks. <br><br>So, Steveg, you surely don't have any tact!<br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Sez you® ! - 08/17/03 12:55 PM

Dear Steve:<br><br>It has recently come to Disney's attention that you have posted images within a forum which include copyrighted artwork owned by Disney Enterprises, Inc. <br><br>The unauthorized manufacture and distribution of the Product bearing copyrighted artwork violates federal copyright law. Moreover, the Product incorporates repeated references which are intended to foster an association with Disney. Accordingly, the Product may also constitute trademark infringement, false designation of origin, unfair competition and trademark dilution, in violation of federal and state law.<br><br>Therefore, we hereby demand that you: (1) immediately cease posting any more images owned by Disney Corporation; (2) immediately destroy all unauthorized Product in your possession, custody or control representing Disney's copyrighted characters or trademarks, as well as all advertising and promotional material relating thereto; (3) provide sales and profit information and copies of invoices, purchase orders and shipping documents relating thereto; and any other documents in your possession relating to the Product; and (4) provide to us written assurance that you will immediately discontinue, and will not resume in the future, the manufacture or use of any unauthorized Product bearing Disney copyrighted artwork.<br><br>(5)Oh yeah, and we immediately lay exclusive claim to the rights of "Sez you®" <br><br>We demand that you send the above information to us within fourteen (14) days of the date of this letter to the following address:<br> <br>J. Andrew Coombs<br> Senior Counsel<br> Disney Enterprises, Inc.<br> 500 South Buena Vista Street<br> Burbank, CA 91521-6352<br><br>The above does not constitute an offer of settlement and is sent without prejudice to any of Disney's rights or claims in law or equity, all of which are hereby expressly reserved. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.<br><br>Very truly yours<br><br> J. Andrew Coombs<br> Senior Counsel<br> The Walt Disney<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 12:55 PM

Why a duck? Why no a chicken?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Sez you® ! - 08/17/03 01:01 PM

<embed src="http://homepage.mac.com/rockhell/.Movies/daffmy.wav" width=320 height=25 controller=true autoplay=false type=video/quicktime><br><br>[color:red]"... gonna bop you with this here lollipop...!"</font color=red>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:02 PM

GMD I like it!! Lol!!<br><br>

Bite™ Me®! - 08/17/03 01:07 PM

And I mean that in a most constructive way, Mr. Combs. I would never doubt the authority of a Senior Councellor at... what day campd did you say you interned at? Well, anyway, a friend of Mickey® is a friend of mine*.<br>So no hard feelings, right?<br><br>*mine is a registered trademark of Mine. ©2003 Mine, Mine, Mine. All rights reserved.<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:08 PM

An dat's a fack, jact! <br><br>

Re: Sez you® ! - 08/17/03 01:11 PM

<embed src="http://www.colpat.com/aqc2001/aqc2001_sounds/very_angry.au" width=320 height=25 controller=true autoplay=false type=video/quicktime><br><br><br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Sez you® ! - 08/17/03 01:13 PM

Eh? Didn't load. Broken QT icon. Don't tell me it was the soundtrack to that dancing weener pick from yesterday. <br><br>

Re: Bite™ Me®! - 08/17/03 01:14 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Mine, Mine, Mine. <p><hr></blockquote><p>Uh oh. Now you're gonna have Disney AND Pixar/Jobs breathing down yer neck for stealing from Nemo. Or, you'll have Gates suing you for publishing his trademarked business practices. <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Sez you® ! - 08/17/03 01:19 PM

Sorry that link usually works. No it was not that.<br><br>[color:red]"... gonna bop you with this here lollipop...!"</font color=red>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:29 PM

To be honest.<br><br>The HVAC and building industrie in general has moved away from Duct Tape to a far more superior product thats NOT made by the Duct tape brand.<br><br>The product is fiber reinforced aluminum foil that has an water proof adhesive on one side. In general take your house hold aluminum foil and make that into a tape. Compeletly water proof and unlike Duct tape does not turn brittle with age and does not shrink.<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:32 PM

Is it Penguin tape? <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:34 PM

Can you roast a 25 lb turkey in it?<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:35 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>does not turn brittle with age and does not shrink<p><hr></blockquote><p>*tap* tap*tap* < waiting for Steve's comeback > *tap* tap*tap*<br><br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:40 PM

You guys have a real aversion to shrinkage don't you?<br><br>[color:red]"... gonna bop you with this here lollipop...!"</font color=red>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:40 PM

Well, you know..he's getting slow with the old age and all <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:42 PM

Don't know who makes it? Maybe 3M, and what they call it?<br><br>At 40 bucks for a 150 foot roll - I'll take a pass at buying one to find out.<br>I do know thats the only tape that is now allowed to be used in HVAC concerns. Any others I can demand that the tape to be removed.<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:43 PM

It was because of the cold water!! <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:44 PM

Cold water??<br><br>Don't make me bring back the Dino shorts again<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:46 PM

Oh, sorry... Must've dozed of during my Geritol facial.<br><br>Now where'd I put that Absolut? <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:46 PM

I'm sure the women would love it <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:47 PM

Sure I want to see the brontosaurus.<br><br>[color:red]"... gonna bop you with this here lollipop...!"</font color=red>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:49 PM

uhmm...<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:50 PM

Lisa and I have it. hehe<br><br>[color:red]"... gonna bop you with this here lollipop...!"</font color=red>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:51 PM

Must've dozed of during my Geritol facial.<br><br>Hummm<br>Wonder if that would work where shrinkage is a concern??<br>Must ask Bod Dole or Steveg<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:53 PM

LOL<br><br>To drunk to F_____K<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:55 PM

Aw, it's ok John. It happens to everyone once in a while. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:56 PM

Oh sure... so now your camera breaks, huh? <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 01:59 PM

Not sure what you meant to iRock.<br>But an audio would work<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:00 PM

I couldn't find your size, a gallon of Absolut.<br><br>[color:red]"... gonna bop you with this here lollipop...!"</font color=red>

Just occurred to me... - 08/17/03 02:00 PM

Poor Mike invites us into his brand new house, and now we've gone and plastered DUCK® tape all over it, and started an Absolut Orgy in the front yard! <br><br>Sorry Mike. We'll take it into the backyard! <br><br>

Re: Just occurred to me... - 08/17/03 02:02 PM

Careful...don't trip over Lisa. Poor girl can't handle her Absolut <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:02 PM

Why... bless you, young lady! <br><br>

Re: Just occurred to me... - 08/17/03 02:03 PM

Thats nothing.<br>Wait till he moves in and has that "House Warming Party"<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:04 PM

You do realize that she has a poor sense of proportion. Why, she thinks Rhode Island is bigger than Texas. Tsk tsk..<br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Just occurred to me... - 08/17/03 02:04 PM

Careful, she may let that cart roll right over your tongue. <br><br>

Re: Just occurred to me... - 08/17/03 02:05 PM

This is the "Pre-House warming party" <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Just occurred to me... - 08/17/03 02:06 PM

hehe..<br><br><br>uhmm...ha. Ok..not sure how to respond here. <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:06 PM

You do realize that she has a poor sense of proportion<br><br>Are you saying that Steveg is her guy???<br><br>

Re: Just occurred to me... - 08/17/03 02:07 PM

gotcha!<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:07 PM

I was responding to him about this that iRock posted:<br>" I couldn't find your size, a gallon of Absolut.<br>"<br><br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:09 PM

Yeah... poor confused kid. She even thinks Kentucky is part of the U.S. ! <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:10 PM

After that Absolut picture, he is everyone's guy.<br><br>[color:red]"... gonna bop you with this here lollipop...!"</font color=red>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:10 PM

huh..imagine that. Everyone knows that it's part of the south! <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:11 PM

Is it???<br><br>

<br><br>

hehe..Sounds like Steveg gets around! <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:12 PM

I bet you can't make this a 20 pager! <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:12 PM

Photoshop gets me chicks! <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:13 PM

No...Photoshop makes you chicks <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:14 PM

I'm saving my Dixie Cups... in case the South rises again <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:16 PM

That's Photoshop® makes me chicks<br><br>I'm in enough trouble with Walt as it is. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:16 PM

Hehe..I deleted what I was going to post..this is a family site after all <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:17 PM

What a guy. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:18 PM

That was a pretty good letter there they did. Someone took the time to create a new user, and then that letter. Reminds me of that old Styx song "too much time on my hands" <br>LOL<br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:19 PM

Or too much Styxy stuff on your hands. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:21 PM

I don't have any Styx. Maybe Matt does! <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:24 PM

We gonna push this one over 400 or what? <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:28 PM

400 pages??! <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:38 PM

<br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 02:40 PM

Quick tie his hands - then he cain't talk.<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 03:04 PM

Views you goofball. VIEWS! <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 03:21 PM

I believe it has passed 400 views <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 03:51 PM

But views means absolutly nothing.<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 03:59 PM

Beautiful! Enjoy your new home.<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 04:01 PM

Maybe you and I can fight Donna over the kitchen. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 04:37 PM

Well cook something dang it.<br>We are hungry<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 04:54 PM

No problem <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 05:14 PM

Congratulations on your new house! I know it will be exciting to watch the construction and finally move in.<br><br>
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 05:40 PM

That looks wonderful! It's a very nice place, Mike! Should give you a lot of comfort to come home to a place like that.<br><br><br>Shooshie<br><br><br><br>[color:green]Pictures and things</font color=green>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 06:29 PM

You guys can do the dishes <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 06:30 PM

Uh...I just like the kitchen..I don't really cook. hee hee.<br><br>And how the heck did this thread grow 88 posts in the last 6 hours?? Now i've learned all sorts of things about ducks, duct and how to spell tract/track. hahahaha!<br><br>I need a drink. Come on girls...<br><br>[color:purple]Every day I can afford to open and run my Lislaz cart....is automatically a GREAT DAY.[color:purple]

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 06:32 PM

A drink sounds great!<br><br>You too Donna. The fellas can do the dishes. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 06:41 PM

How about a gin & tonic with lime? <br><br>We can do the dishes tomorrow. <br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 09:36 PM

Very nice digs Mike, Congrat!<br><br>
Posted by: Shooshie

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/17/03 09:51 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>While I'm at it, folks, it's DUCT tape, not DUCK tape. <p><hr></blockquote><p>I buy a brand of duct tape called "Duck" by Manco, the company that makes most of the duct tape I see. So, I often say "Duck tape," just as I say "Scotch tape." The duct/duck argument just isn't a valid one when you've got four spools of tape sitting around, and they all say "Duck" inside.<br><br><br>Shooshie<br><br><br><br><br>[color:green]Pictures and things</font color=green>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 05:24 AM

Well Waleed, illegal aliens are a dime a dozen around here. It was meant in a humorous vein. I am probably among the minority when it comes to my attitude towards illegal Mexicans in the US. I don't have much of a problem with them at all. We really should have a guest worker program and be done with it. It's a really big walk-in closet that would hold 12 Saudis just as easily. Or 12 Germans, or 12 Ticos......or whatever. Nothing meant by my use of the term I used. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 06:30 AM

$450,000 Sean. I bet that almost buys a mansion in your part of the US. Yeah prices are sky high, I expect them to level off now some, but still show slight increases over time. Not the 20% a year though we have been experiencing here the last few years. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 06:33 AM

12 naked women? 12 blind mice?<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 06:36 AM

5 miles as the seagull flys. Just about 10 minutes to the harbor and the boat. Hey, I can deal with it! Hehe.<br><br>Ocean view? I get lots of ocean view from the boat! Yeah, it would be nice to have an ocean view where one lives, but you know how much that kind of thing costs. A bit out of my league.<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 06:48 AM

12 candidates for California governor?<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 06:56 AM

Wood flooring and tile. Yes, it is a tract home. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 06:58 AM

Maybe a spa/hot tub thing later on. <br><br>Oh yeah, I added a few more pics of the lot and a neaerly finished and semi finished shot of our exact model. <br><br>http://homepage.mac.com/bliemel<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mikeb_X on 08/18/03 10:02 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: sean

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 07:11 AM

not as bad as i expected, but that's still a lot of money (at least for my pocket). here's some comparisons.<br><br>$460,000 buys this in my neighborhood:<br><br><br><br>about 3,800 square feet. 4 bedrooms and 2+ baths. <br><br>the homes for $450,000 look like this:<br><br><br><br>i think i'd take your new home over that without hesitation (as long as you found a quality builder).<br><br>now, $450,000 would buy a nice sized house on the lake in the neighborhood we moved away from back in april. $450,000 would buy a mansion in junction city kansas, where i grew up. in fact, i doubt you'd find any houses for that much. <br><br>real estate was a bit more in lawrence, kansas and this is what a bit more would get you ($460,000):<br><br><br>i like that...a little extra land (and a large horse stable - not pictured). 3,500 square feet. Hot Tub, Spa, Jacuzzi. 10 minutes from town.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 09:46 AM

Such a deal. Prices are still cheaper in soCal than they are in the Bay Area then. Depending on the town, if that house and lot was within 30 miles of SF, San Jose, or Oakland you'd probably be paying somewhere between $600K and $1.2Mil. It's still so freaking ridiculous around here. <br><br>I know that in our neighborhood, we wouldn't be able to afford your new house. One has a choice around here if they're not rich: Live in a neighborhood you like but not the house, or vice versa. <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 09:53 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Well Waleed, illegal aliens are a dime a dozen around here. It was meant in a humorous vein. I am probably among the minority when it comes to my attitude towards illegal Mexicans in the US. I don't have much of a problem with them at all. We really should have a guest worker program and be done with it.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Actually, many business types DON'T have a problem with the illegal worker industry—even the ones that make noise about it in the government. The way they see it is that if you suddenly had to pay at least minimum wage, had to pay workers' comp and had to pay payroll taxes, suddenly labor costs shoot through the roof. There's always been a wink and a nod kind of attitude about illegal workers in the SouthWest and California. <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 09:55 AM

<br><br>Pathetic, ain't it? Is it a wonder I have to commute an hour to work just to be able to afford where I live, in Milford?<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/18/03 05:04 PM

My sister-in-law does real estate in your area. She lives in Walnut Creek but has listings all around the bay. Modest homes are $800,000. Most listings are in the million and up. And there is such a demand and waiting list that a lot of the properties go before a judge to award the sale.<br><br>[color:red]"... gonna bop you with this here lollipop...!"</font color=red>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/19/03 05:18 AM

Walnut Creek is about 500 miles from here. It's in the SF Bay Area. Yeah, I know -- those prices can be found around here too. I don't know how people afford it. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/19/03 05:24 AM

Those are nice homes, but the climate would suck in both places. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/19/03 09:21 AM

I grew up in Walnut Creek and don't understand why people pay those prices for that town. It's over crowded and over homogenized, socially speaking (there's not much diversity ethnically, politically, etc.). It was like an awakening when I moved down to San Jose for college and realized that there were all kinds of different people with different ideas walking around.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/19/03 02:55 PM

Oh oh--you said [color:blue]diversity</font color=blue> <br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/19/03 08:41 PM

Hehe shes only lived there less than 15 years after she married a doctor and got all la di da. She won't tell people there what humble beginnings she has. We are the poor folks. Wait until we come down to visit. We should chew tobacco. <br><br>[color:red]"... gonna bop you with this here lollipop...!"</font color=red>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/20/03 05:18 AM

Well, so you never popped over the hill to Beserkley? Plenty of folks there with different ideas walking around. <br><br>I kind of like the Walnut Creek area, nice landscape with Mt. Diablo in the distance. I used to live on the other side of all of that -- in the Valley. Sacramento, Stockton and Modesto. HOT! Did a stint in Petaluma as well for a few years, nice area. But, I would imagine that these days just about any major metropolitan area has housing prices that are pretty high and difficult for people to afford. I don't know how people can afford the million dollar + ones, let alone anything over 500K. It is pretty insane. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/20/03 10:05 AM

Yeah, I used to love popping over the hill to go to Berkeley and pick up a slice of pizza a Blondie's. However, I was sans car in high school and I rarely could convince my "homogenized" friends to go over to "Bezerkeley." They liked to play it safe and hang out on the sidewalk on Main Street. Ugh. <br><br>Don't get me wrong, I think the valley in which Walnut Creek sits is absolutely beautiful. It's the over crowding of materialistic people that make it ugly. When I moved there in 1976, we still got our milk from the DuMont dairy in glass bottles and the Southern Pacific RR still ran through town. Now it's filled border to border with, as one friend puts it, "the land of shopping." There's even a Tiffany's going in. <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/20/03 11:21 AM

Hey, shouldn't your avatar be square?<br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/20/03 11:56 AM

Hee hee. Actually, that's smiley. He's a comic strip character that I created (long before emoticons) while doing a daily strip for the university newspaper. He's sort of evolved into my alter ego.<br><br>My squareman moniker came about because I'm short and thick and—at the time I got the name—had a square goatee, wore a porkpie and drove a square car (Reliant). <br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/20/03 07:51 PM

Yeah I know what you mean about the changes there. Left the Bay area in 1988. Have been back maybe three or four times since then and have driven through that area again. Shopping is at the center of our culture today unfortunately. We all have to shop for stuff, but to make your life revolve around it is a bad indication of what is important in people's lives. Apples stores don't count. <br><br>

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/20/03 07:56 PM

It's a mall world after all <br><br>Seriously, though, I have to use malls, but I hate them. Downtowns are places where there used to be store, but the downtowns weren't dedicated to buying. There was the courthouse, the police station, the Repulican and Democratic clubs, various other meeting places. And there were stores. Malls around here try to become sort of like downtowns. They have special days dedicated to this that and the other thing. They invite all the nursing home residents in the area for old follks day. They host police workshops in home security. But still, they are shopping malls and all the other stuff is marketing to get people to come shop some more.<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: Bought a new house! - 08/20/03 08:08 PM

I recently read that decllining sales at malls have forced them to rethink malls altogether. Now instead of everything being on the inside, the trend is to have the storefronts on the outside and more of a community feeling kind of thing. I think the Spectrum in Irvine (CA) may be just such an example of the new trend in shopping design. Kind of like a little village with meandering walkways, restaurants, entertainment, etc. <br><br>