Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks

Posted by: gshocked

Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 07:45 AM

Hi Carp,<br>my wife and I are off to Kauai in two weeks and I was wondering if you have any good suggestions regarding "must see or do" things over there? <br><br>I basically want to relax in the ocean, go surfing and chill out... (which should be easy to do) but are there any other things you may recommend? It will be our first time to Kauai...<br><br>I am pretty excited!<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 07:47 AM

good for you...<br><br>

Re: Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 07:54 AM

thanks...<br>i can't wait,<br>although we have been having an excellent summer here in Vancouver...<br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 07:56 AM

Camera..take camera! <br><br><br><br><br>My stuff for sale.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 08:41 AM

I recommend the catamaran trip to Napali coast,this is the one we took. A great day! This is the only tour that has permits to take you onshore at Napali to explore the archeological ruins. Snorkled with sea turtles and dolphins -- we also saw whales breeching in May. A lot less expensive than the helicopter trips, plus it's a whole day. <br><br>Dont miss Ke'e and Tunnels Beach on the North Shore for snorkeling.<br><br>

Re: Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 09:45 AM

wow! sounds super!<br>i love catameran rides, and my wife refuses to do the helicopter thing... snorkeling with turtles and dolphins sounds like it fits my criteria for a relaxing vacation! i think one day has been taken care of...<br><br>a camera is a given too! ; )<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 11:15 AM

What side of the island are you staying??<br><br>Gary ideas are great.<br>Rent the movie Donovans Reef before you go all film on Kauai<br><br>Must see.<br>Waimea Canyon better to drive your self. Also there used to be Horse back riding at Kokee, check that out aswell. Plan to have lunch at the Kokee Lodge. The drive should take a better part of the day.<br><br>Since you will be on that side of the island - After the Waimea Canyon drive head to Polihale Hale beach its at the end of the road West Side you should plan to get there a few hours before sunset. Be carefull swimming there. Polihale Beach is very picture perfict.<br><br>Got some pics let me gather them will post later<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 11:30 AM

Waimea Canyon, the "Grand Canyon" of Kauai, is a must see. Interesting way the light affects the scene up there. <br><br>Hanalei Bay and the Na Pali Coast are lovely as well. If you can take a kayak trip along the Na Pali Coast, I would recommend that. I haven't done that, they didn't have that when I went to Kauai, but it looks like a cool thing to do.<br><br>Helicopter tour of the island, I think a flight over the island and along the cliffs of the Na Pali Coast would be very beautiful.<br><br>Kauai as I recall does not have that many great beaches, did not find that many good snorkeling places either. But, Carp can fill you in I am sure on some we most surely missed.<br><br>Wizard Publications has great books on the islands, I think they have one on Kauai as well. Check them out. Highly recommened books!<br><br>Have a great time!<br><br><br><br>http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauai.html<br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 12:24 PM

carp why don't you post all your info on a .mac page so you can just direct us all there? You are in a very popular spot.<br><br>[color:green]SEND...ME...G5...NOW!</font color=green>

Re: Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 03:38 PM

hi, <br>Gary, Carp and Mike B. my wife says we are staying on the south side of the island. i am going to print out all of your suggestions and i think our stay will be well planned...<br>thanks you guys<br>Gary<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 05:04 PM

Will do, I think I got .Mac licked - not sure but on OS9 its a pain.<br>Like for Jaz Vegas page I had to delete all images and just upload the Vegas ones before I could get .Mac to create that page.<br><br>Then there are hundreads of images on ancient Kodak CDs that OS9 don't read. Then theres that Umax Scanner that only scaned once in its life.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Carp, going to Kauai in two weeks - 08/03/03 06:12 PM

If you are staying on the south side, it's probably around Poipu Beach. There is a neat blowhole someplace around there to see. <br><br>Oh yeah, there is also a river up there somewhere past Lihue (going towards Hanalei). Be sure to take the trip up the river to the Fern Grotto, that is quite nice. These days you can probably even get a kayak and go up there on your own. Kauai has some great waterfalls too, very scenic. <br><br>We were in Maui about 2 months ago. It had been dry there recently, not much in the way of waterfalls. Kauai has the wettest spot on earth, so hopefully you will fare better with waterfalls there. <br><br>Too bad your wife won't go for the helicopter tour, it's pretty neat. Is she concerned about the safety? These things fly for years and years without incident, the odds are pretty darned high that you will have a trip you'll live to tell your friends about. <br><br>Well whatever you do over there, you are going to have a great time -- GUARANTEED!<br><br>