New Chimera and new OW out

Posted by: Anonymous

New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 02:18 AM

Go get 'em at Versiontracker. OW 4.1b5 and Chimera 0.2.5 are out.<br><br>
Posted by: NotTheOnly1

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 11:36 AM

I tried the OW from two sources and no response. It must be getting popular. Wonder how many use it?<br><br>Do you rhumba? Excellent! Now pick a rhumba and sit down.. GM

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 01:21 PM

I had no problem getting it, but then I downloaded it at about 2:30 or 3:00 AM. This is a very nice release. Hope you are able to download it. Speed is good for me, in most instances almost as fast as Moz and as always super fast when you hit the BACK button. I am impressed again with OW.<br><br>Or, maybe you were talking about Chimera? Haven't tried the new build yet.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 04:16 PM

I have both...and really like Navigator (chimera) a lot. For a 0.2.5 release, this browser is amazing. <br><br>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 04:19 PM

I have been running OW 4.1b5 since early this morning, about 5 minutes ago it crashed on me. Mozilla on the other hand hasn't done that to me in ages. I haven't fired up Chimera yet, but I agree that for the early development stage it is in, it really is impressive. Not too fond of the icons though. But, these are all personal tastes and I guess the performance and Quartz rendering are the most important attributes to consider.<br><br>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 04:37 PM

I'm posting from Navigator (I'm going to start calling Chimera that cause that's it's name now, unfortunately) and I love it...so fast! And it does have tabbed browsing too..really nice. Took a screenshot of something cool..one sec. to upload it.<br><br>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 04:53 PM

<br><br>isn't that cool? <br><br>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 05:03 PM

Yeah that is cool, I got that too once or twice with the other Chimera I was using a while ago. Nice feature. I wish they would call it something else though than Navigator. Like Chimzilla or something. Well I guess you can always rename it and do a custom icon for it. Gotta fire it up I guess.<br><br>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 05:08 PM

"I guess"<br><br><br>You guess? LOL I am loving this release..so much better. Dang, I am even tempted to use it as my default. Normally OW is my main choice, but this puts that one to shame in my opinion.<br><br><br>OT: have you noticed that on Mac browsers, all you have to do is type in, say Macminute, and it goes automatically to www.macminute.com? But, try doing that in IE running Winblows...and see what you get. Some stupid MSN search site. (I found this out at work. Pisses me off to have to add the .com in order to get there.)<br><br>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 05:14 PM

Yes, that is what I said. I am just not too fond of the icons in Chimera. I think they kind of suck myself. To each his own, but I do intend to give it spin. Until it is further along though, I can't consider it as my default browser. It still lacks too many things in my opinion to be my main browser of choice. OK, so I will fire it up now and see what's up with it.<br><br>EDIT: OK, so I am using Chimera now. Nice. Have to give it a try for a few days I guess and maybe I will feel more like you do about it. I can live with the icons I guess. <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mikeb_X on 04/27/02 08:19 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 05:41 PM

I don't even notice the icons. Or are you talking about the ones at the top of the page? <br><br>One thing that I do have to do is enlarge the text so that it's nice and smooth.<br><br>Tabbed browsing rocks!<br><br>Oh, yeah...one thing it does that OW doesn't, is in Hotmail, you can delete email after reading it..(yeah, Hotmail sucks, but that's where I get my jokes [wink})<br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 07:07 PM

If only OW could get the JAVAScript issues solved, I could delete IE from my system. <br><br>
Posted by: NotTheOnly1

Ain't that sweet? - 04/27/02 07:13 PM

:-)<br><br>Do you rhumba? Excellent! Now pick a rhumba and sit down.. GM

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 07:42 PM

OK, the icons aren't that bad I guess Yeah, the icons at the top. I can live with them. But, have to tell you Chimera has already crashed on me. But, yes I must admit that Chimera is very nice and fast. Definitely plan to keep using it too.<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 08:24 PM

heh... netscape is going to stop pop-ups... what about ones that are important... like the one that sets your CNN version properly, or others that do things that are needed for certain features of a website to work...<br><br>I guess its a good idea, but really, advertisers will find a way to beat a browser, to get you the ad they're trying to get you to see....<br><br><br>"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."<br>-- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)<br>
Posted by: sean

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 08:51 PM

can anyone tell me whether you are getting excited over something that is ready or something that still has "potential." in other words, i want something that can compete with IE before i'll switch for the long term. try this link (CLICK HERE) and let me know if the mouseovers work for the menus. mouseover Faculty and Staff and see if you can then click on My GVSU from the popup menu. what about flash sites? what about quicktime, etc. are they ready for primetime or just hopefuls?<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sean on 04/28/02 00:26 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 09:13 PM

well, considering that I get this: Not Found<br>The requested URL /cgi-bin/wwwthreads/www.gvsu.edu was not found on this server. when I click on that link, I don't know Sean..I mean Dr. Sean <br><br>try again.<br><br>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 09:16 PM

Well, that site would work with Mozilla if it used proper HTML.<br><br>W3C HTML Validator<br><br>Flash and QuickTime work with Mozilla.<br><br>I could write a long essay on why Mozilla is very important for the future of the Internet, but not right now. :)<br><br><br>--<br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 09:20 PM

ahh..it's this site http://www.gvsu.edu/<br><br>no..doesn't appear rollovers work well..yet. QT works..let me try flash..<br><br><br>Flash doesn't crash it anymore :-)<br>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 09:24 PM

Well I get the same page not found error. So what's the problem, can't they code for this work with Mozilla. They probably just test in IE. Bad QA job there if you ask me. <br><br>I find that Mozilla works for me 99.99 percent of the pages that I go to. I do online banking, online purchases with it no problem. It is very rare that I encounter a page like the one you linked to. Mozilla is definitely there, Mozilla 1.o been even better the the RC1.<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 09:31 PM

my link is now fixed...i clicked on edit and it was correctly displayed so i hit enter without changing anything and it works. weird. oh well.<br><br>anyway, i am quite confused...first, it's chimera, then netscape, and now mozilla. i realize they are all related, but am now starting to believe that 2 or more of these are the same...what's the deal? mozilla is ready, but chimera is not or are these two the same? netscape is obviously a different beast (right?). oh, it's all so confusing. netscape is commercial, but free and the other two are open source...errr....um???<br><br>p.s. as for my link...i don't think they test on macs at all...i'll bet they don't care. i work at this university and know that they use PCs over in the website development department. i try and keep them aware of us. ;-)<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 09:47 PM

Mozilla, Netscape 6 and Chimera use Mozilla's Gecko rendering engine. So, websites look the same on those 3, except very rare fsckups with their own browser code, etc.<br><br>Someone has already written the essay I was gonna write.<br><br>That someone is Tim Berners-Lee--Inventor of the Internet.<br><br>http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Semantic.html<br><br>http://www.scientificamerican.com/2001/0501issue/0501berners-lee.html<br><br>Lame a$$ Scientific American made their article pay (costs $5). Talk about free information over the Internet. But, I guess that's because it was one of the most read article, ever.<br><br>--<br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 10:50 PM

Chimera is now called Navigator to make things even more confusing<br><br>
Posted by: MachOne

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/27/02 11:22 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>they use PCs over in the website development department<p><hr></blockquote><p>In my experience, that's the norm. Virtually all serious web development, in this neck of the woods at least, is carried out on PeeSees. The reasons why are obvious. What I don't understand is why there appears to be little or no Mac compatibility testing done on a lot of quite hi traffic type sites.<br><br>Just because you develop on a PeeSee, doesn't excuse you from the task of ensuring a positive experience for those who don't use PeeSees for web surfing for whatever reason.<br><br>Madness.<br><br>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/28/02 02:00 AM

Right, get them to test on Macs too and as many browsers as possible. I do website testing as part of my work as a QA Engineeer and I also test all code changes on Macs as well as PCs. No reason stuff like this should work on a Mac too. We do treat Macs differently where I work, in that some things are no meant to work on Macs, but then we make provisions in the ASP code to detect Macs and Netscape browsers. <br><br>I hand coded my geocites page and mouseovers work there fine in Mozilla as well as in Netscape 4.7x. <br><br>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bit/1947<br><br>Chimera is simply a project that was started not that long ago, thus it is not as far along as Mozilla. But, it shows great promise and the Cocoa, Aqua widgets and Quartz are part of that effort. Nice, but still kind of crashy for me.<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/28/02 06:31 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>What I don't understand is why there appears to be little or no Mac compatibility testing done on a lot of quite hi traffic type sites.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I can tell you the main reason that sites aren't tested on Macintoshes is due to the fact that those site designers are probably busy as hell, and the boss is screaming to get this done, or get that done... QA isn't a prioirity, so bam, its done and they move on to something new...<br><br>The main reason sites don't give a [censored] after a bad Mac experience is pointed out to them? Because their high traffic site sees relatively few Mac Users... its a cost vs. gain calculation in the decision makers head... why? because their traffic is only about 4% Macintosh users... does 4% really matter? that's the decision maker's question to himself.<br><br>So, a designer works on it as much as he can in his spare time to make things right... and he never gets around to fixing everything for every browser/OS combo... and there are a lot of them out there...<br><br>So, he decides to guarantee support for all browsers at their latest release version... and then people won't upgrade to Netscape 6.2 when you ask them too...<br><br>Its a vicious circle.<br><br><br>"Ambition is so powerful a passion in the human breast, that however high we reach, we are never satisfied."<br>-- Niccolo Machiavelli<br>

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/29/02 11:24 AM

Versiontracker is still calling it Chimera..and the newest one (0.2.6) is out now listed on versiontracker. I'll have to wait till I get home from work.<br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: New Chimera and new OW out - 04/29/02 07:36 PM

From Netcraft:<br><br>The site www.gvsu.edu is running Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.7.1 OpenSSL/0.9.6 on Solaris 8.<br><br>And, it's deadly slow to load: Less than 3.0 KBps on 56K dialup.<br><br>