Not too smart cops...

Posted by: NucleusG4

Not too smart cops... - 08/25/14 02:44 PM

.. that's what we want!
Bzzzt! Not.

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

“This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class,” Jordan said today from his Waterford home. “I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else.”

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action.

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

Jordan alleged his rejection from the police force was discrimination. He sued the city, saying his civil rights were violated because he was denied equal protection under the law.

But the U.S. District Court found that New London had “shown a rational basis for the policy.” In a ruling dated Aug. 23, the 2nd Circuit agreed. The court said the policy might be unwise but was a rational way to reduce job turnover.

Jordan has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.

Dont ask me why the video doesn't go with the article.. skip the exercising vid.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

http://www.aele.org/apa/jordan-newlondon.html
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/25/14 03:21 PM

Not that I am a genius or anything but the article reminds me of a few years ago when I was back home and I ran across some old coworkers around my age at the junk mail plant I worked at just after high school for about three years. I asked them what they were doing now and they said they were still there. I hope it didn't show in my face but I couldn't help thinking I couldn't imagine a more boring job to do for the rest of my life. Those guys are likely employed elsewhere or unemployed now as that plant closed down. I assume junk mail is not a growth industry when it has to compete with online advertising.

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/25/14 03:21 PM

As for the article, I have mixed feelings. Both sides have a point. It seems to me if the guy wants the job that badly they should make an exception. I assume it's more interesting than a prison guard.

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/25/14 03:58 PM

What if he is smarter than most.. so what. Maybe he has aspirations to be the chief of police.. or is laying groundwork for politics later on?

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/25/14 04:30 PM

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/25/14 05:33 PM

ouch!
Posted by: DLC

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/25/14 07:54 PM

LOL !! laugh laugh laugh

smart B__ch !! wink

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/26/14 05:11 AM

THE YEAR WAS 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General.

Some things about living still weren't quite right, though. April for instance, still drove people crazy by not being springtime. And it was in that clammy month that the H-G men took George and Hazel Bergeron's fourteen-year-old son, Harrison, away.

The rest is below. A 5 minute read. cool

http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/harrison.html

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/26/14 05:16 AM

This (at least the first blurb) makes me think of the movie Idiocracy. Ever seen it?

It's no masterpiece, but it is definitely something.

Idiocracy

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/26/14 05:49 AM

Ya.. I do remember seeing part of that movie.

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/26/14 05:58 AM

I didn't realize until I linked it that Mike Judge of King of the Hill fame, directed it. (I'd've said Beavis and Butthead but was never much of a fan.

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/26/14 06:03 AM

Oh my, I got around to clicking the link. It's a KV, Jr. story! I've read this story; didn't recognize it from the first blurb. I've read almost all of his books and story compilations. This is probably from Welcome to the Monkey House or the like. Love KV. Characterization was never his strong point, but boy was he an idea man.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/26/14 07:05 AM

Harrison Bergeron is a recurring character in Vonnegut's fiction.

Re: Not too smart cops... - 08/26/14 07:06 AM

I had never noticed he was recurring. I guess there are more recurrers in his works than I realized.