The atlatl

Posted by: MrB

The atlatl - 08/24/14 05:48 PM

Know your weapon and hunting tool

The atlatl

This instrument has always intrigued me. Developed by all civilizations globally. They found use of it in the Americas 20,000 BC . Used to take down all sorts of game . Even the mammoth

Here is a short clip about why it works.

By Atlatl Bob

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BkK2vEZ5bTk

Dave
Posted by: lanovami

Re: The atlatl - 08/24/14 06:12 PM

I was an Anthropology major (who now teaches English). That stuff is right up my alley. I believe the name is Aztec* in origin, though it has come to be used for all spear throwing devices.

*That Aztecs actually called themselves the Mexicas, which obviously had a lasting influence as a place name.

Re: The atlatl - 08/24/14 06:45 PM

Anthropology , one of my favorite classes in college.

Yes, I love this stuff. Another of my favorite classic gadgets are trebuchets. I've always wanted to make one.

Speaking of Aztecs, consider Montezuma Kansas. Look up the street names. Many are named from the old Aztec names. How often does a city have a street called "Mexitli" or "Toltec"
Cool

Dave
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The atlatl - 08/24/14 07:33 PM

Thought you meant this little guy.

The axolotl.

Re: The atlatl - 08/24/14 08:42 PM

Iowa also has a Montezuma. Interesting. Don't know about the street names though.

Trebuchet was a new word for me, I would have just called them catapults. You have probably taken 40 minutes or so of my life with that mention. I'll put it off until tonight though.

Yoyo, axlotls are also called Mexican salamanders so that sounds like a strong connection. Axlotls are called Oopa Loopas - yes Oompa Loompas minus the "m", though I have never been able to determine if the connection between the two is merely accidental or not.
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: The atlatl - 08/25/14 04:28 AM

Wow! I didn't know you could straighten branches with heat.

Re: The atlatl - 08/25/14 04:54 AM

The above should read "are called oopa loopas IN JAPANESE." I pinky swear myself to start being more careful.

Re: The atlatl - 08/25/14 08:37 AM

I didn't know that either. I didn't understand until that clip that arrows and atlatl darts need to be limber as the ability to flex at the loose of the arrow allows energy to be stored to be released during flight.

Dave

Re: The atlatl - 08/25/14 04:21 PM

Wow! I didn't know there were really such things as axolotls.

I thought they were a creation of Mad Magazine.

Ya lern somethin' new every day!

Re: The atlatl - 08/25/14 04:22 PM

They're weird looking, aren't they!

Re: The atlatl - 08/25/14 04:37 PM

Quote:
They're weird looking, aren't they!

Yep! It says they're endangered at Wikipedia. I wonder if they taste any good? grin

Reminds me of the old joke where a guy finds his friend carrying a snowy owl he shot. He asks his buddy, "Hey, don't you know snowy owls are protected?" Before he can answer, he asks him what they taste like.

His friend answers, "A lot like bald eagle!" crazy

Re: The atlatl - 08/25/14 05:26 PM

To quote Steve--oy!

Re: The atlatl - 08/25/14 08:32 PM

Hehehe

Dave