Earthquake in napa valley

Posted by: MrB

Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 10:19 AM

An earthquake of 6.1 occurred at about 3:30 this morning just south of Napa CA. I called my brother in nearby Santa Rosa to see how they were doing. He didn't know anything about it. He turned on his TV to check. My sis in law checked her iPhone to find several messages from their kids asking how they were.

I called at 7:30 their time

http://www.cnn.com

They are about 25 miles from epicenter, my brother said. He checked around his property to not find any damage .

His son, who lives about 800 m from them said they felt it.

Pretty significant quake.

I turned to Fox News . They were doing their regular : how bad it is to be a member of ISIS.

I turned to CNN . They were doing their regular : how bad it is to be in the Middle East

I turned to msnbc. They were doing their regular: how bad it is to be black in racist white America.

Little if any mention of the quake

Dave

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 10:45 AM

Petaluma, here. About 15 miles from Santa Rosa.
It was quite a ride. Lasted about 30 seconds.
6.1 IS huge. The big one that devastated parts of San Francisco in '89 was 6.9.
I don't have cable, so I can't get the news, but someone told me that downtown Napa has been condemned. shocked

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 11:39 AM

To be honest, I'm not a big wine fan. Vineyards have replaced orchards everywhere I look. Every hilltop, vineyards. I would rather they grow food, not grapes.
Having said thatů Expect your wine prices to skyrocket.

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 12:06 PM

Are you ok? I forgot that you live in the area.

Dave

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 12:21 PM

I'm fine, thanks, Dave.
I live on a main road that is a trucking route, so the house shakes quite frequently. My first reaction was what are they doing out at 3:20 in the morning?
When a picture fell of the wall, I realized it was an earthquake.
Strange how long 20-30 seconds can lastů
This is only the 3rd or 4th quake that I've ever felt, having lived here all my life.
I'll take that over hurricanes and tornadoes any day.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 01:09 PM

Glad you're ok, Curtis.

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 01:16 PM

smile Thanks smile
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 01:39 PM

Preliminary shows not much bodily harm anywhere luckily. When the one happened in '89 most of the deaths were from when one freeway fell on the other.

BTW, at least with hurricanes and tornados you know they're coming. smirk

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 01:47 PM

It could have been a lot worse.
I'm glad most people didn't get hurt.

Checked the house this morning, Gumby didn't make itů frown
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 01:48 PM

It's top news on google news right now. Though 6.1 is big, remember that each time you go up one integer on the magnitude scale it is 10 times larger, which means 6.9 was still a heck of a lot bigger.

"as measured with a seismometer, an earthquake that registers 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times greater than that of an earthquake that registered 4.0, and thus corresponds to a release of energy 31.6 times greater than that released by the lesser earthquake"

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 02:31 PM

Journey? x3? In the middle of all of that good stuff?

That's why he fell over. I notice you stopped at Next. There was a reason. I have the first one I do admit.

Okay, I made the train jump the track. Sosumi.

At least I didn't start anything, right Lano? wink

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 02:46 PM

Sosaumi looks so much like a Japanese word...

I spotted a lot of Zeppelin. Which Zeppelin album had a picture maybe on the inside of an old apartment building with different faces and the like looking out of it? I remember being shown that way back when and staring at it fascinated for some time, trying to take in every detail. I was a youngin then of course. Could you imagine that keeping a kid's attention these days with all the other possible distractions? Hmm..

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 02:47 PM

And WHAT may ask is wrong with the first 3 Journey albums?
Hmm? Hmm?
Space rock at its finest, I tells ya.
The only thing wrong with them are the bands name. grin

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 02:51 PM

Physical Graffiti smile

Everything is digital now, so I only kept a few CD's.
*AHEM* The BEST CD's. whistle

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 02:57 PM

Physical graffiti. That's the ticket.

Journey made one of my favorite Na Na songs. Love mey Na Na songs.

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 03:06 PM

This was Journey before the Na Na's.
Video by me! smile
(You forced my hand, Jimů) grin

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 03:11 PM

Hey lanovami,
Have you ever heard of this?
Earthquake Lights

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 03:11 PM

I'm listening to that Na Na song now on the train. shocked Then I'll get to your link.

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 03:19 PM

Watched/listened. The name at the end looked familiar. Um, there was a Journey for some time before Steve Perry came along. Did not know this. Most of the original members were former Santana members. Did not know this.

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 03:55 PM

Hmm? Okay, I'll revisit the first at least, it was before the Steve Perry glam days.

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 04:35 PM

Glam? Though I am not saying they are rock geniuses or anything, I wouldn't describe post Perry Journey as glam.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 05:28 PM

Yep it was God punishing all those wine drinkers and whinos !! whistle

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 05:50 PM

But the beer drinkers were saved.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
But the beer drinkers were saved.

A-MEN, ů Brother !! whistle

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/24/14 09:30 PM

Residents in the North Bay, especially Napa and Vallejo, should expect ongoing repairs to damaged buildings, and water and gas mains Monday. Some schools will be closed because of Sunday's 6.0-magnitude earthquake. Damage to the Bay Area's transportation network was limited to a few cracked and buckled roadways.

-- Earthquake damage: Ninety to 100 buildings in Napa were red-tagged as uninhabitable. People with damaged homes or business can call (707) 253-4417 to request a city inspection. In Vallejo, 41 structures were reported damaged.

-- School closures: All Napa Valley Unified School District campuses will be closed Monday. Justin-Siena High School will also be closed. Napa Valley College was not damaged and will be open for classes Monday.

-- Shelters: A Red Cross evacuation center was open at the Crosswalk Community Church at 2590 First St. in Napa. Pets can be sheltered at the Napa County Animal Shelter at 942 Hartle Court. A Red Cross evacuation center was opened at the Florence Douglas Senior Center, 333 Amador St. in Vallejo.

-- Gas leaks: Crews from PG&E responded to hundreds of reports of natural gas leaks around Napa County. At least 20 customers were without gas after the earthquake. Anyone who smells gas is urged to call (800) 743-5002.

-- Water leaks: There were close to 60 water main leaks around Napa, leaving some areas without water. The city's water-treatment plants were running with no damage. Water remains safe to drink.

-- Road closures: The public was urged to stay away from First, Second and Third streets from Jefferson Street to Soscol Avenue in Napa. Main Street was closed from Third Street to Pearl Street because of damaged structures. Old Sonoma Road was closed from Buhman Avenue to Congress Valley Road southwest of Napa.

-- Debris: Boxes will be placed at all public schools for debris.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/25/14 12:21 AM

r.i.p. Gumby frown

...in related news...

SCIENTIFIC
AMERICAN

Epic Drought in West Is Literally Moving Mountains
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/25/14 12:44 AM

...in related related news...

Global Warming is increasing moisture in Earth's atmosphere driving Mother of all Feedback Loops

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/26/14 12:48 AM

The earthquake is certainly now getting its share of coverage. It is a quite regular slot in the half hour news cycle on CNN now.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/26/14 03:31 AM

It is being covered in all networks now.

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/26/14 04:16 AM

Most of the news I have seen is about all the wine that was lost. I don't think anyone was killed right? They interviewed one guy who lost his cat, then went back to the wine.

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/26/14 04:42 AM

Well, it was in Napa valley

Dave

Re: Earthquake in napa valley - 08/26/14 04:46 AM

Yes, and I figure they know people are aware of this, so they will want to hear about it. Ah well.