recording audio

Posted by: sean

recording audio - 07/22/03 08:13 PM

so, i am teaching an online class and had some students request my lecture in audio format (mp3) instead of text. the week is my last lecture and i have yet to do any with audio, but figured i should try one and this one is not that long...i am actually going to only do a segment with audio and the segment is about 8 - 10 minutes. i have this nice plantronics headset/mic (usb) that i bought to go along with via voice a while back (what a disaster that software was) and my headset is currently recognized as the audio input device by my computer...my problem is that i don't know how to get the audio into my machine. i could just tape myself with my miniDV camera and extract the audio, but i'd like to at least try recording directly with the plantronics equipment if possible. is there a good shareware or freeware app for something like this?<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: Lori

Re: recording audio - 07/22/03 08:26 PM

For free and already on your computer is iMovie.<br>You can start a new project and add an audio track and record your lecture.<br>when you are done save the file and quit iMovie.<br>the file will be in aiff format which you can import into iTunes and convert to MP3.<br>This is just a simplified explanation.<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: recording audio - 07/22/03 08:29 PM

that sounds perfectly simple. thanx lori.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: sross

Re: recording audio - 07/22/03 08:32 PM

Lori, you are amazing! Always there to lend a friendly hand.<br>One of my bookmarks folders is "Tips" and yours are the bulk of them. <br>Keep it up<br><br>
Posted by: bganey

Re: recording audio - 07/22/03 08:34 PM

Far and away, the best shareware app is Sound Studio. Apple bundles it for free with new computers, and you can download it here.<br><br>I use it to record my radio shows. I really like the product. <br><br>

Re: recording audio - 07/22/03 08:50 PM

sound studio is great..I have it installed on my computer.<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: recording audio - 07/22/03 09:36 PM

i ended up downloading and trying it...it was perfect -- along with lori's iTunes > mp3 conversion. my segment ended up taking me 15 minutes...now i worry that i gave my students too much all semester since i underestimated how long it would take to get through things i wrote. oh well, they got to learn more. heh heh.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: recording audio - 07/22/03 09:54 PM

and 14 days of freebie use to boot....<br><br><br><br>

Re: recording audio - 07/22/03 10:00 PM

14 days of use...they don't count days you don't use it...that has me thinking (and that's rare), if i used it from 11 pm to past midnight, did i just waste 2 days? if nothing else, the education price is only about $25.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: recording audio - 07/22/03 10:01 PM

or throw away the preference file :)<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: recording audio - 07/23/03 07:37 AM

Is iMovie what you used to do the mosaic voiceovers, Lori?<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: recording audio - 07/23/03 07:41 AM

I used iMovie for mine.<br>When you gave me the folder to do the others, I used MailVoiceClip because it was so fast and easy and attached the clip right to a new mail.<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: recording audio - 07/23/03 07:44 AM

I only ask because they came out pretty well- quality-wise, that is.<br><br>I had to boost the volume a bit in Peak to match what Bryan had done, but otherwise they were really clear and free of any background noise...<br><br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: recording audio - 07/23/03 08:04 AM

Thanks...I had to start all over on a lot of them because a truck or car passed by, or Mail announced new mail, or the phone rang...<br><br><br>My Stuff

Re: recording audio - 07/23/03 08:15 AM

ROFL...<br><br>I never thought of the system sounds being a distraction- that's funny!<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>