Mulholland Drive

Posted by: lanovami

Mulholland Drive - 08/13/14 06:40 PM

So, when I told movie buff friends I didn't like Eraserhead, they told me I had to watch Mulholland Drive before I made my decision on David Lynch. So I did.

It started out pretty good. I was enjoying myself for much of it, but before long, you realize again that he is just making it up as he goes along (Twin Peaks being the ultimate example of this).

David Lynch has a good gig, just because the guy has an eye, and a penchant for the bizarre people think he's some kind of genius and keep paying for him to make his movies. I had at least a decent opinion of him until these last two movies.

Most of his plots from what I have seen revolve areound "what if there was a supernatural subtext behind the lives we lead". Yeah what if. The guy needs religion if he is so obsessed with this prospect. And to top it off, the guy has obviously has vivid sexual fantasies that he is lucky enough to be able to hire beautiful women to carry out for him; from the movies I have seen he largely uses women in his movies as the objects of sexual fantasy. I admit he gets some pretty good performances out of his actors, but that is largely because he has somehow wowed the world into thinking he is some miracle worker, so of course he gets the best talent and great performances out of them.

Marv mentioned Blue Velvet. Yes, I liked that one a lot. It went somewhere, and still had Lynch's artistic eye and creepiness. This was his highlight in my opinion. I should've stopped there when I saw it way back when.

I saw Wild at Heart years ago, and remember thinking it wasn't bad, but it certainly didn't make an impression on me, as I couldn't tell you much about it now.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Mulholland Drive - 08/13/14 06:54 PM

Yes. I appreciate Lynch as an "artist", but that doesn't mean I have to watch it.
Creepy, I can handle. Disturbing? Sure, but it depends on the subject. Gratuitous violence? Not at all.

I judge a movie by how many times I can watch it again. Sorry David Lynch.
Edit: Haven't seen Blue Velvet since it came out. Yeah, I'll try again.

Quentin Tarantino. Reservoir Dogs. Everyone I know loves it, but I'll be honest. A half our of psychological and physical torture is not my idea of entertainment.

Re: Mulholland Drive - 08/13/14 07:08 PM

I saw Reservoir Dogs exactly once, and I thought it was pretty damn good. I knew I would never see it again and I never have.

I think Tarantino is talented, certainly more well-rounded than Lynch. However, too much of his plots and visuals revolve around meticulously imagined and artistically presented over the top violence. Wow, wouldn't it be cool if someone were killed in that way? The guy has to have more in him than that.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Mulholland Drive - 08/13/14 07:34 PM

Sam Peckinpa's Salad Days
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Mulholland Drive - 08/13/14 08:57 PM

Let's not forget The Elephant Man.
That's where he made his name for everything else that came after.

The Elephant Man was a critical and commercial success with eight Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Actor. When the Academy was scolded for failing to honor the make-up work on the film, it prompted them to create the Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling the following year. The film also won the BAFTA Awards for Best Film, Best Actor and Best Production Design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elephant_Man_(film)

And while it is dated now... Dune was pretty good.
Of course that book was so in depth and thick it would really take a miniseries to do it right.

Re: Mulholland Drive - 08/13/14 09:00 PM

Hmmm... full movie on YT. Usually full YT movies look like crap but I guess B/W translates better to lo res.

Re: Mulholland Drive - 08/13/14 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Let's not forget The Elephant Man.
That's where he made his name for everything else that came after.

The Elephant Man was a critical and commercial success with eight Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Actor. When the Academy was scolded for failing to honor the make-up work on the film, it prompted them to create the Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling the following year. The film also won the BAFTA Awards for Best Film, Best Actor and Best Production Design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elephant_Man_(film)

And while it is dated now... Dune was pretty good.
Of course that book was so in depth and thick it would really take a miniseries to do it right.

Yes, thanks for remind me Nuke. I have seen the Elephant Man, and it is very good. I think the man has real talent when he is tackling a real story, as opposed to a bunch of ideas and images thrown together. I was at a bad point in my life when I saw Elephant Man, so I couldn't bring myself to watch the end, because I knew it got very dark and depressing. Maybe I can bring myself to watch it one day. Excellent flick no doubt.

I don't blame him for Dune. There is no way that book, which I've read could be close to possible to encapsulate in one movie. They did make a mini-series, it's quite good actually. You should look for it.

Re: Mulholland Drive - 08/14/14 04:40 AM

I remember the miniseries... didn't think that particular one was very good.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Mulholland Drive - 08/14/14 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I remember the miniseries... didn't think that particular one was very good.

As I recall, the miniseries did a fairly good job of representing the book, but due to the low budget (a SciFi Channel project) the production values really were on the cheesy side. If you combine the budget and lushness of the film with the storytelling of the miniseries, that would have rocked =)

Here it is on the you tubes: http://youtu.be/ueYYVRTWmjY