Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again

Posted by: Lea

Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/05/14 05:22 PM

TCM's running Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf right now. It's an awesome flick, but . . . Once was more than enough. Only other one I can come up with right now is the original Saw. Yeah, worth the ticket, but watch it again? No. Thank. You. Not necessarily talking serials and repeats. Just any truly awesome film that was so severe the first time around that it precluded any desire for a repeat.

Disclaimer: This thread is inspired by Lan's revival of that old Moveis Nobody Ever Watched thread. Special shout out, my friend :-)

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/05/14 07:02 PM

Ah ha, there you are. smirk
Posted by: Papa

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/05/14 07:34 PM

Gone With the Wind. I did not watch it till i was in my 60's and I have no desire to see it again. I did not like Scarlett O'Hara the minute I saw her and never could get over it for the rest of the movie.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/05/14 10:42 PM

I was the same way with Shindlers List. Such an awesome film. So powerful. So much so I don't care to see it again .

Dave
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/05/14 11:58 PM

I didn't see Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? until last year. I was quite surprised that the title comes from a joke told at a party told before the movie opens and nothin more. I had the same feeling: terrific movie ( and play I assume) that deserved all it's accolades and that I knew I would never watch again.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 01:45 AM

For my own contribution to great movie you'll never watch again: Magnolias. That long movie by the guy that made Boogie Nights etc. with an all star cast of Julianne Moore, Jason Robards, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Tom Cruise among others. I thought it was a great movie, very moving, and when the credits ran I absolutely knew I wouldn't watch it again, even on a slow afternoon.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 03:33 AM

Followed by The Taming of the Shrew. I could watch Burton and Taylor doing laundry. But how about Not So Great Movies You'll Never Watch. Period. I submit SHARKNADO 2! tongue
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 04:01 AM

Why not see it again and see what anguish and torment these people went through that period of time.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 05:22 AM

I'm pretty sure he said he got it the first time. Do you just glance at words on a page or do you actually read and comprehend the content?
Posted by: DLC

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 05:45 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Followed by The Taming of the Shrew. I could watch Burton and Taylor doing laundry. But how about Not So Great Movies You'll Never Watch. Period. I submit SHARKNADO 2! tongue

LOL— why watch SHARKNADO 2! in the first place, unless you want a good laugh ?!! sick

Shindler's List
Boy in the Stripped Pajamas
Blood Diamonds

are on my list of excellent but no repeats. Maybe Munich. Lots of others I've seen at the movies that weren't that good crazy , but can't remember off the top of my head.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 06:34 AM

Took a while...
...but I came up with a WINNER (?)

"Excalibur"

Doano what would make me ever watch that pretentious PoS again eek

That Sed;
There's nothing wrong
with giving something or someone a 2nd chance.

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 06:46 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg

Oh, yeah. I don't think I will watch the first time. Although , I rather liked the cut up movie, Piramahs.

Dave

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 06:56 AM

Sometimes, there is such a powerful film, that is so intense it's not easily experienced again. I actually have seen it a few times. I don't want to feel that way again. That's why I prefer more light hearted material no.

I don't watch shows like Saw.

Dave
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 08:05 AM

Sixth Sense.
Not sure I'd call it a great movie, but once you know the ending…
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 08:18 AM

I've never seen the film version of VA Wolf, but have seen it on stage several times. It's a good play. A good, even great film I probably won't see again--The Wind that Shakes the Barley.

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Sixth Sense.
Not sure I'd call it a great movie, but once you know the ending…

I went back and entertained myself by searching out
all of the various clues indicative of the outcome.

but along similar lines:
"Phantasm"**
once the surprise goes out of it
watching it again is BEYOND POINTLESS! tongue

** surprising what you find yourself
watching (given enough LSD) @ 3AM. crazy

Re: Great Movies You'll Never Watch Again - 07/06/14 09:06 AM

crazy 'nother 3AMer:

"Lost Boys Calling"
~play-out song by Roger Waters for "The Legend of 1900"

**Full Movie