Apple discontinues Aperture

Posted by: MacGizmo

Apple discontinues Aperture - 06/27/14 09:56 AM

Aperture is dead. I know a few people that will be sad to see it go. But honestly, it never really took off. Adobe's Lightroom was a better app for pros, and Apple's new Photos app for Yosemite will replace iPhoto and Aperture next year anyway.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Apple discontinues Aperture - 06/30/14 06:46 AM

Almost bought it last year ...glad I chose to wait for the next version. Really interested in seeing what they do with Photos. I've been less than thrilled with iPhoto for the past couple years.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Apple discontinues Aperture - 06/30/14 07:07 AM

Agreed.
iPhoto has steadily gotten worse, but Photos won't come out until next year.
Sometimes I get tired of waiting… wink

Re: Apple discontinues Aperture - 06/30/14 07:23 AM

Yeah, I agree. I definitely want them to get it right first though.

I need to go thru and clear out some of the crap that has accumulated now that I'll be paying for cloud hosting.

Re: Apple discontinues Aperture - 07/01/14 02:27 AM

The part I don't get is, it says that ALL your photos will live in iCloud. But they don't say anything about "up to" - no mention of limits. So is that up to the 5GB iCloud limit for free, then charge after that? If that's the case, they're going to piss off a LOT of customers unless you can still have a "local file management" option like you can with the current iPhoto.

I average about 13GB per year of new photos. There is no way I'm going to pay Apple for storage of those photos in the cloud. Especially since I already have 1.8TB (yes, as in 1,800 gigabytes) of free storage using Copy.

I'm looking forward to using Photos, but since I already pay for Adobe Creative Cloud, I already have Lightroom installed and ready to roll just in case.

Re: Apple discontinues Aperture - 07/01/14 06:21 AM

I remember them talking about it. Pretty sure the #s were $0.99 per month for 20GB of space ...$3.99/mo for 100GB. I believe they said the top tier was 1TB, but no price was mentioned.

My whole library is about 250GB at the moment ...it may or may not be worth uploading everything. I'm also extremely interested in seeing how it handles multiple family members. smirk
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Apple discontinues Aperture - 07/01/14 07:31 AM

What if I don't want my pictures in the cloud? What if I want them on my computers? Will that be an option?

The cloud is great--if you have an internet connection all the time.

Re: Apple discontinues Aperture - 07/01/14 07:33 AM

Yeah, you'll definitely have an option to not have photos in the cloud.

Re: Apple discontinues Aperture - 07/04/14 10:03 AM

So much is still unclear. NOBODY has had access to the app for testing yet, so there are still plenty of questions.

Nowhere does Apple say you can still manage your photos locally. They DO say that all photos are store in the cloud and that only thumbnails appropriate to the size of your device are downloaded for local viewing. But I cannot believe they would expect everyone to upload ALL their photos to the cloud. I also can't believe that they would think people will pay for this storage when they have no choice. So I expect their will be a local management option.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Apple discontinues Aperture - 07/04/14 10:15 AM

I'm in the process of burning all of my wifes photos and iphone movies to blu rays. In addition to being on my raid in the studio... and on her computer. Can never have too many back ups of family photos.
She is a fanatic about documenting everything my daughter does. Previous years weren't too bad... but since the megapixels of cameras have stabilized.. between her iphone and canon camera... she has been outputting over 100 GBs of files every year for the last 3. No way Apple is going to host that for free... and I'll be damned if I'm paying.

Re: Apple discontinues Aperture - 07/05/14 10:12 AM

Heck, you get 1TB of storage for free with Flickr. If you were a pro subscriber up to last year, you can continue to pay for unlimited Flickr storage for $25 per year. There are just too many other options out there for photos (free or minimal charge) to pay for Apple's thus-far shaky iCloud service.