Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT!

Posted by: steveg

Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 06:10 AM

Last year my next-door neighbors, having been unable to sell their condo (same unit as mine) for their price, decided to rent it. Their first tenant was a nice quiet couple — he was stationed at Wright-Patt AFB — whom I only saw once in a while, but were pleasant enough. Evidently, he got transferred and they moved out last month. New tenant — middle-aged couple but not all that friendly — moved in a few weeks ago. Suddenly their back yard looks like an outdoor furniture showroom and he likes to open his garage door and sit there in a folding chair watching the nothing that is the parking area. And they are both loud talkers who must have crappy cell phones or service because they always step outside to carry on phone conversations. Their patio is 6 feet from my den/office window, so I can't help but hear everything.

OK, so none of this is worse than a bit annoying, and except for the weekends now, I'm not here during the day to hear it.

This morning it got ugly. He was on his patio hollering into his phone a/b something he had done to his car and how f'n expensive it was. "I tried to Jew the bastard down…" he says at one point. I almost decided to ignore it. But no. This can't stand. I step outside and walk up to the fence btwn our yards and say very loudly, "The Jew next door heard that, neighbor!"

A pregnant pause, then, "Mind your own goddam business, wise guy."

"Let me remind you that owners in this complex rent their units at the pleasure of the HOA, and any significant tenant problems are reported to the owner with a warning they their rental privileges will be revoked. Which means you'll be on the street before you can finish unpacking. Got it?"

From the other side of the fence, "Screw you!"

Time for a call to the management office tomorrow morning. mad
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 07:08 AM

Get 'em early, Steve.
Posted by: bird

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 07:11 AM

Quote:
Time for a call to the management office tomorrow morning.

I agree steve....you handled it well....Lets see if he tells your HOA "screw you"

wink

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 07:22 AM

The owners are not particularly nice people, either. Both attorneys (she's a county prosecutor). Not one neighbor in this complex was sorry to see them move out, and they have a history of giving the property manager and the Association a hard time. So I can see some real problems when they get that letter.

But this needs to be addressed. Period.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 07:31 AM

Sounds like 1st class "white trash"… you know the kind from a trailer park in MS !! eek

That's pretty abrasive of him….
a "reasonable person" would apologize … so now we've established they're UNreasonable ! wink

Good Luck Steve…
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 11:25 AM

Ahhh.. yes.
You have contracted what is commonly known as the Yoyo Syndrome. You mave have to start looking for a red brick house. cool

Ba-da-bum-Tish.

(get it...drums..?)

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 11:55 AM

I may just take his new house by em-ee-nint lomein! grin

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 12:01 PM

By a happy coincidence, the property manager was onsite today checking on our newly reopened pool. I told him what happened, and I like his plan. He's going to speak directly to the tenant and let him know what's at risk. He will also send a letter to the owner and let them know the circumstances. He isn't going to tell the loudmouth to apologize to me, because his POV is that if the guy realizes his misstep and apologizes on his own, then it'll be more believable. If he doesn't want to do the right thing, fµck 'im. And if he steps in it again, he'll be facing eviction.

Works for me.

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Ahhh.. yes.
You have contracted what is commonly known as the Yoyo Syndrome. You mave have to start looking for a red brick house. cool

Ba-da-bum-Tish.

(get it...drums..?)

This yoyo will not be moved! grin

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 01:31 PM

Well I'm takin bets he'll step in it again…. wink

….up to his sorry zzz !! grin

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 04:34 PM

Ok, so the guy is a complete ass-hat after all. The prop mgr, Tom, had a talk with him this afternoon. Zero contrition and his "defense" is that I had no business listening to his phone conversation. So Tom suggested that from now on he make his calls inside where no one else can hear him. Idiot.

Tom also suggested he re-read his lease and pay special attention to the clause that requires even tenants to adhere to the condo bylaws. In particular, the part about respect and courtesy for all residents in the complex. He also told the guy that if the owners had not given him a copy of those bylaws, he'd be happy to provide one. And he's sending a letter to the owners advising them of the events and potential consequences if they do not keep their tenant in line.

Gonna be a real interesting summer.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 04:40 PM

Check your vehicles for signs of vandals...got an outside security camera??
Posted by: MrB

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 06:12 PM

He has got to learn to not mess with the community standards.

Dave
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 06:23 PM

I'm with Pirate on this, even before he posted, been thinking about it. With the crazies around I'd have just mentioned something to the Manager without confronting the idiot. He could just tell the guy he's had complaints.

I know the insult hit home, but from what you posted about him the guy is obviously missing many social filters, and sounds like the kind that can't be reasoned with.

This is what you pay your condo fees for, let them handle it. Unless you're 6'2 with lots of tattoos and a ponytail. laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Doesn't seem like the type that grasps the concept though. Like I said, lacking many social filters.

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Originally Posted By: MrB
Doesn't seem like the type that grasps the concept though. Like I said, lacking many social filters.

FORGET the social filters . . . I think he's missing many synapses !! eek

His name isn't Joe Bob is it and he carries a banjo ? shocked

laugh
Posted by: bird

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 08:18 PM

Quote:
His name isn't Joe Bob is it and he carries a banjo ?

Nope, last time I checked he was still twanging away here in the mountains laugh wink

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 08:54 PM

Social filters--what are they? I've come across so many cases of "there's nothing in the world but me" that I think that's the only social filter that matters any more.

My town is a very crowded urban kind of place. Its population is not huge, but we're pretty well crowded into a small area. Not as bad as NY City--its population density is some 28,000/sq. mile while ours is only about 8,000/per sq. mile. But that's about the population density of LA--so we're crowded. Unlike LA, it's also an old, 18th century kinda town, so the streets are narrow. And it's built on a hillside--sometimes from the top of Mt. Penn, if you look down into the city and squint a little you'd swear you're in San Francisco, it's so steep. One result of the steepness is that sight lines on roads are horrible. You have to be half way through an intersection before you can really see whether a car is coming up or down the hill.

So what do people do? They double park. They double park even when there's an open space or two or three just half a block away. They double park because . . . why the hell not: they want to be where they want to be. And often times the double parking is right on the corner of an intersection. Just yesterday I came back home and had to make a right hand turn onto my street, headed downhill at a pretty steep angle. But some bozo of a lady had decided that she was going to double park right at the corner, also headed downhill. The back end of the car was a bit into the cross street, where I was trying to negotiate the corner. I don't know if you've ever had that experience, but if you haven't, let me tell you that it's almost impossible to see around a double parked car on a corner on a steep incline. And to make the right hand turn, you have to go into the left hand lane because the right hand lane is where the double parked jerk is taking her own sweet time picking her nose and talking on her cell phone.

Sorry for the rant--but it's stuff like that, and for me especially the noise (today we didn't have a single minute of music-less time until about 9 p. m., coming from one or another jerk who thinks that I want to hear what he wants to hear)--stuff like that that has made us decide we have to move.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 09:38 PM

Sounds like South Philly. Double parking is a tradition there. And if you are Mafiso of Italian decent, you dp on the sidewalks! grin

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/15/14 09:41 PM

[quote=DLC
His name isn't Joe Bob is it and he carries a banjo ? shocked

laugh

[/quote]

You know, of course, this could taken as insulting for some folks from the rural areas .

Dave

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 02:20 AM

Vehicles? laugh Dude, my singular car is always in the garage — door closed. The way the complex is laid out and the buildings configured, there are precious few vandalism opportunities. So while I take nothing for granted, I am not gonna make this situation the hub of my life. I did my part: I let the fool know he stepped over a line and will now let the HOA — and hopefully — the unit owner handle it. And if necessary, there's always the PD.

Tom told me they've only had to evict one renter under his watch, and it was a much more extreme case. Destruction of property and threats of physical harm to neighbors. That was the same year I moved in here.

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Nana
Sounds like South Philly. Double parking is a tradition there. And if you are Mafiso of Italian decent, you dp on the sidewalks! grin

Not a whole lot of Italians around here--mostly just dipshˇts.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 07:44 AM

Does he have a "Don't Tread on Me" flag, too? crazy

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 09:43 AM

I was wondering how the police would be brought into it?

Appears to me to be about two neighbors getting on each other's nerves

Dave

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 10:36 AM

Dave - there's difference between rural and "backwoods" or "hill billy"… Hell I live in a rural area - Lindale is pop 5000 . . . . . besides having 2 first names is a southern thang… so how is that offensive to anyone except in maybe LA, MS, AL, and GA ?? possibly TN….
NOT everyone in da South has 2 first names… there's lots Joes, Jerrys, Toms, Johns, etc. I think you're reading too much into it !

To those in the South, If the shoe fits…. wink
if it doesn't, no problem ! "We ain't talking bout cha !!"
Posted by: Papa

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 11:03 AM

He forgot to mention that Joe Bob and his banjo playing buddies live in a trailer house in Texas.

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Dave - there's difference between rural and "backwoods" or "hill billy"… Hell I live in a rural area - Lindale is pop 5000 . . . . . besides having 2 first names is a southern thang… so how is that offensive to anyone except in maybe LA, MS, AL, and GA ?? possibly TN….
NOT everyone in da South has 2 first names… there's lots Joes, Jerrys, Toms, Johns, etc. I think you're reading too much into it !

To those in the South, If the shoe fits…. wink
if it doesn't, no problem ! "We ain't talking bout cha !!"

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 11:26 AM

Quote:
He forgot to mention that Joe Bob and his banjo playing buddies live in a trailer house in Texas.

Could be… I t'aint saying' !! grin

careful tho, you might offend all those living in trailers !

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC

careful tho, you might offend all those living in trailers !

Only those whose trailers are sitting on top a pile of cinder blocks & have cinder block steps. whistle

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 12:23 PM

The possibility of vandalism, Dave. That's a law enforcement issue. Or excessive noise or any other activity that constitutes what's called "interruption of quiet enjoyment". Those are matters for the PD. Rudeness, disrespect, harassment… those are things the HOA and condo board can act on.

And, just to be clear, an ethnic slur is not about getting on anyone's nerves. It's hate speech.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 01:51 PM

Didn't we a president in the not too distant past that had a brother with two first names....Billy Bob something or another...had a beer name after him

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 03:01 PM

Yes Carter… and I wish I had a 6 pack of Billy Bob beer… worth a fortune to collectors !!
(even wo a Banjo). grin
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 03:32 PM

Sorry, gents, it's just Billy Beer. No "Bob" or any other second name. Billy Carter, James Earl's brother ;-)

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 04:33 PM

You're right … Billy Bob beer is the FAKE !! laugh

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/16/14 06:30 PM

Yes on the noise and vandalism. But I must caution everyone that it applies to nothing parties. Meaning both parties may think they have been wronged and cal the law.

As to hate speech, I'm not sue that only using that phrase that indicated he used in the way he used it would be cause for hate speech under the law. If, a ethnic slur was directed at a protected group then it could be. This is my opinion. I could be wrong of course. Also, did he know you were a member of a protected group? If, not. Then you might have just given him more fodder.

Just saying

But you might want to careful how you deal with him. It might backfire.

Dave

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 06/17/14 02:48 AM

*groan* Seriously, Dave? crazy

Re: Oy… Welcome to the neighborhood. NOT! - 07/05/14 10:59 AM

Well I'll be… Since having the riot act read to them by the property manager, there have been no new incidents. Of course I have no way of knowing what the tenor of that meeting was anymore than what transpired btwn the tenant and the unit owners. What I do know is that a moving van just pulled up to their garage door in the last half hour and the loading ramp is in place!

Will have to ask the prop mgr what happened. In the meantime, this is a as good a reason as any to pour a couple of fingers of Crown Royal Cask No. 16 over a few cubes this afternoon. grin