Finally cut the cord

Posted by: Jim_

Finally cut the cord - 06/09/14 01:00 PM

Dropped my land line. Was able to change my business land line number to a cell line and combined it with my cell plan. ATT's Mobile Share plan. Unlimited talk, text, and 2G data for $85, plus taxes of course, for two phones. Cut my ATT bill in half, and went from 450 min. a month and 20¢ a text plan to all you can eat except data, and I only had the 2G plan anyway. Also my iPhone can now be used for a hotspot if needed.

I got a 99¢ LG Xpression 2 basic phone for the biz phone, but that number will just be rolled over to the original cell phone like it has been for the last 20 years anyway, just a backup phone now.

The 2 times a year I may need to fax I can go to Staples. Wasn't worth holding onto it for just that. I was also using the land line to save minutes on my cell.

Welcome to the 21st century I guess. grin
Posted by: steveg

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/09/14 02:50 PM

That's the same plan I have for my daughter and me. It dropped my bill by a/b $40/mo!
Posted by: DLC

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/09/14 05:52 PM

about the same for the Cox Family too. grin
Posted by: Nana

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/09/14 07:07 PM

Well, I still have my landline & have no plans on giving it up. Never had a cell phone & have no plans on getting one. I am on Verizon's "senior" plan - all the bells & whistles for $25 including tax/month. I just can't make international calls for free.
A&T has the same "senior" plan for landline usage. Not sure about Comcast.

I love my 20th century phone bill. smile
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/09/14 08:04 PM

Right on, Nana!
OI only got a cell phone about 6 months ago, because I had to.
My landline/Internet is awesome. $40 a month, unlimited long distance calls, and 20Mbps down and 3 up. My iPhone on the cheapest T-Mobile plan I could get is $50 per month. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but I could live without it…
Posted by: steveg

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 02:29 AM

I haven't had a landline for five years. Have yet to miss it. A few months ago I took a lower-priced package from Time-Warner that included digital phone, so I plugged my MFC into the line for the one or two faxes a year that I might see. So far, nary a fax in or out, but dozens of junk calls and phone scams (I never bothered to set up voicemail). Yesterday I unplugged the damned fax line — even though it's part of the package. I figure one hole in my ass is enough. Don't need another. smirk
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 06:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Dropped my land line. Was able to change my business land line number to a cell line and combined it with my cell plan.

ATT's Mobile Share plan. Unlimited talk, text, and 2G data for $85, plus taxes of course, for two phones. Cut my ATT bill in half, and went from 450 min. a month and 20¢ a text plan to all you can eat except data, and I only had the 2G plan anyway.

Also my iPhone can now be used for a hotspot if needed.

Welcome to the 21st century I guess. grin

blush OK, explain it to me like I'm an idiot
('cause when it comes to Cell Plans... I YAM! crazy

We shared a plan that he (& The Guy Who Owned the Store)
set up one evening (Between the Pub & The Fast-Food dump)
and it's been contributing to keeping us broke ever since. frown

Currently, we're between Contracts but still paying
the same outrageous rates (aprox. $175 a month frown )
I'm SURE we have 2-3 times what we actually need..
(we don't send files.. we Text, and mostly local calls
with OCCASIONAL State to State on Mother's Day etc.)

Please Help if you can.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 06:40 AM

We pay over 200 bucks a month for three lines, one of which has the unlimited data plan for iPhones grandfathered from the olden days. It's expensive as hell, but we're really just subsidizing # 1 and only son a bit.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 07:47 AM

Do you have AT&T or Verizon? I don't know what Verizon does but if it's AT&T give them a call and ask about the 2 gig mobile share plan. They can tell you what your average data use has been, and if 2 gigs a month will be enough. You may be able get away with even less if you don't use much data. Your data usage only kicks in when you're using the Internet but not around Wi-Fi.

Even if it is Verizon, call them too. When their rate plans drop these companies won't give you a lower rate unless you ask. They figure if you're happy, they're happy.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 07:49 AM

How much data do you use per month? If number one son streams a lot of music etc. when he's not home, you probably need unlimited.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 08:06 AM

Yeah--he need all that data, unfortunately. We'll cut the data stream at some point, sooner rather than later.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 08:44 AM

We still have Vonage VOiP service for the house.
I just changed my AT&T plan to their new Family Share plan w/10GB of shared data (unlimited talk and text) for 4 lines (3 iPhones and 1 not-so-smart phone). I still don't think we'll come close to that usage, but now we don't have to worry about overage charges for a while. Hopefully, it will reduce my monthly bill a few dollars after the fees and taxes get applied.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 09:33 AM

When their rate plans drop these companies won't give you a lower rate unless you ask. They figure if you're happy, they're happy.

Same way with the UNADVERTISED senior discounts. CR told me no such plan. I hung up, called again but this time I asked to speak with a supv or manager. Manager was the one who told me about all the "discounts" available.

I learned these tips from an AT&T employee....
#1 - negotiate, negotiate, negotiate because the phone & cable companies prices ARE NOT WRITTEN IN STONE. The longer you are with a phone or cable company, your acct is up to date, never/rarely a late payment the better the discounts & deals.

#2 - Never deal or purchase cell phone packages from a "store" employee. They get commissions or bonus checks. Always negotiate & purchase from a supervisor or manager directly from the cell phone sales department.

#3 - Some phone companies have a "retention" department. They will do back flips to keep a good paying customer.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 09:33 AM

Do you have AT&T or Verizon? I don't know what Verizon does but if it's AT&T give them a call and ask about the 2 gig mobile share plan.

They can tell you what your average data use has been, and if 2 gigs a month will be enough. You may be able get away with even less if you don't use much data. Your data usage only kicks in when you're using the Internet but not around Wi-Fi.

Even if it is Verizon, call them too. When their rate plans drop these companies won't give you a lower rate unless you ask. They figure if you're happy, they're happy.

We're still with AT&T...
they have the best East Coast Coverage by a long shot
(Cell Towers about every 50' here smirk )

Quote:
Your data usage only kicks in when you're using the Internet but not around Wi-Fi.

Yerp! Thaz wot I kneaded too no! grin
Hadn't a clue wth "DATA" was blush therefor I dint how much
we required.. easy to get over-sold (a.k.a. ripped off)

It's not a problem for me, since I don't go on web
away from my G4 unless I'm needing directions in a
pinch... I guess that includes GPS & WAZE etc... huh?

I have Verizon @ home (Triple Package, InnerWeb,
TVs & Phone ((the landline deal brings down the price))
and the Internet includes WiFi... but I can't account
for Ted's usage when he's entertaining himself during
break or lunch or whatever... but it's worth having
a discussion ... he pays the AT&T bill, and I KNOW
he'd welcome getting a handle on the cost.

Is there a site that might help me calculate the usage
by giving examples so I can figure out what we need?
For Instance how much data it takes to watch a movie,
or something like YouTUBE.. or connecting to DropBox?

that would be helpful

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 09:45 AM

#4 Don't go into the Cell Phone Store on a whim
esp. when you're staggering around with your
pay-packet burnin' a hole in yer pocketses. mad

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Celandine
Is there a site that might help me calculate the usage
by giving examples so I can figure out what we need?
You can log in to your account online and see what your history is, or call them, 611, and they can tell you. If you have never gone over 2G then that would be enough.

Wireless usage details.

Also to estimate how much video etc uses.

Calculator. Don't need to be logged in.

Hopefully this will help others to understand it all too.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 11:08 AM

BTW the ATT site has been dreadfully slow the last few weeks.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 11:25 AM

It was slow for me for a little while yesterday, but not when I changed my plan later on. I do all of my cell phone shopping, upgrades, plan management, and bill pay on line through my AT&T account.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Nana
#2 - Never deal or purchase cell phone packages from a "store" employee. They get commissions or bonus checks. Always negotiate & purchase from a supervisor or manager directly from the cell phone sales department.
True, but you even have to watch that though. She saw I was on the 3 gig plan, so she quotes me for the 4G since they don't have a 3G anymore. 4G was $30 more than the 2G. Looking at my data usage I rarely even go over 300M a month but she tried to get me on the higher plan without looking at my history.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 12:19 PM

Contacted AT&T thru "Settings" right from the iPhone

Settings :Phone/AT&T Services/
View My Data and Mesg: *3282#

Next Bill Cycle 06/15/14
Data (MB) 13.31 of 2,048
Messaging: 17 Group
Messaging: 47 of Unlimited
=================================
Settings/Phone/AT&T Services/
Check Minutes *646#

MINs used of avail as of 06/10
Anytime: 113 of 700
N&W: 5 of Unlimited
M2M: 46 of Unlimited
RO: 0 of 5,105
RO exp: 562 on 06/14/14

=================================
Still doano what some of it means... wtf is "M2M" & "RO"?

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 12:21 PM

Well, I still have my landline & have no plans on giving it up. Never had a cell phone & have no plans on getting one. I am on Verizon's "senior" plan - all the bells & whistles for $25 including tax/month. I just can't make international calls for free.
A&T has the same "senior" plan for landline usage. Not sure about Comcast.

I love my 20th century phone bill.
For now the one of the cell lines is the biz phone number that I've had for 20 years so I can't drop that, and my work is 50/50 from home and away so I need the cell.

You may find that for close to what you're paying now you can get a basic dumb-phone and have the security of having a mobile device in case you're away from home and there is an emergency, either you or family, and your communications would not be tethered to home.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 12:27 PM

yup
and the more disabled I become
the more I wouldn't want to leave home without mine.

startin' to feel like the
"..I've fallen and I can't get up!" lady on TV frown

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 12:49 PM

RO = rollover, minutes you haven't used each month accrue and stay available for 12 months after you don't use them.

You can get on the mobile share plan, unlimited calls and text and 2G data and save around $85 a month. You already have 2G so if that's been enough you're good to go. If you drop to 1G it's even $15 less, so it would be around $100 less than you're paying now. The 300M is $20 less than the 2G. If you run over data for the month it's billed in blocks according to what plan you're on. I think it's $20 for the 300M for each 300M block, but I know for sure that it's $15 for the 1G and higher billed in 1G blocks.

Go to the first link I posted and look at your data usage trend for the last 2 years to be sure what your needs are.

I'm even thinking about going down to the 1G plan since over 2 years my highest data has been 600M with about 2 or 3 months around 500M. Now that I have the hotspot I may use more so I'll give it a few months and see if I use the hotspot. There have been times when working away from home I could have used it.

Plus I now have a vehicle with a Nav system so I don't need to use the phone for maps.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 12:50 PM

Thanx 4 the Missing Links wink

I bookmarked them to help choose a plan
once I see what Ted's usage looks like.

sorry for the pee-poor response time
I had to pick up Ted, he was injured @ work frown

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 02:54 PM

You may find that for close to what you're paying now you can get a basic dumb-phone and have the security of having a mobile device in case you're away from home and there is an emergency, either you or family, and your communications would not be tethered to home.

If I ever do get a cell phone, it would be the Jitterbug Touch 2. Their basic plan fits my needs nicely plus the price is right for the phone & their plans (at least for 2014).

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 03:03 PM

Thanx 4 the Missing Links wink

I bookmarked them to help choose a plan
once I see what Ted's usage looks like.

sorry for the pee-poor response time
I had to pick up Ted, he was injured @ work frown

Oh my, I hope he's ok. Me smell a WC claim. whistle

For some strange reason I had this website bookmarked. It may help you to understand the type of coverages you have.

Guide To Cellphone Data Plans

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 05:21 PM

I bookmarked that too, Thank You

...and thank you for your concern...

He's OK.. he was lucky..
he was back from the hospital by the time I got there.

Working in a Machine Shop is scary..
(believe it or not, I had the tips of 3 fingers
on my right hand cut off by the time I was 5 from
having messed with one of my old-man's machines.)
(((wiggles them under your nose...see?
they glued'em back on! laugh )))
(I'm one of the 1st peeps in the world to have been
used as a subject of Micro Surgery way back in 1954 )

ANYWHO
Ted was dammed Lucky
The Pipe Threading Machine
snatched the glove off his hand
and tore it to shreds, injuring his
left thumb in the process. They X-Rayed
him, immobilized his thumb in place, and sent
him home with a script for pain killers and a note
excusing him from heavy duty work tomorrow. crazy LUCKY!

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 07:42 PM

That page is outdated.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 08:47 PM

That page is outdated.

Well, I wouldn't know. I did find a PDF file from the same company dated April 2014: http://www.citizensutilityboard.org/pdfs/ConsumerInfo/DataGuide.pdf

Seems to be more detailed than their outdated report.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/10/14 09:17 PM

Don't know about the others, but the ATT stuff is all wrong. Of course it may have been right as of April 2014, but changed since then. Even the rep I spoke to on the phone had to look up the rates since they changed recently. crazy

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/11/14 05:17 AM

So...WHAT?... cry

we're opting into a 2 year
commitment to "ye olde Shell Game"? smirk

with whopping penalties for early withdrawal? eek

Now I see why nana and others are loathe to buy into it. smirk

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/11/14 06:08 AM

I don't get it, what shell game? Also as far as getting out early, I plan on keeping my phones till I die. Again, I don't follow where you're coming from.

I'm paying at least $1000 a year less, I really don't see the downside.

w/e

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/11/14 06:25 AM

They've always been that way. You can still change your plan at any time as long as you stay with your current provider. It's when you cancel/move to another provider that the penalties get applied.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/11/14 01:17 PM

I don't get it, what shell game? Also as far as getting out early, I plan on keeping my phones till I die. Again, I don't follow where you're coming from.

I'm paying at least $1000 a year less, I really don't see the downside.

w/e

I wasn't referring to YOU in Particular..

..but to any provider's ability to change the price
and nature of any "plan" Seemingly at Random. frown

ah.. sorry..
I'm suffering through VERIZON'S 2 year commitment.
I was withing days of finally catching up to what
I owe them... when my TV stopped responding to their
Remote... I called them, they sent a workman to
check it out... turned out to be the TV itself.

Long story short.. I just got billed (as of yesterday)
over $200 for the service charge. frown $405.00 in all.

I doano.. I'm loosing it..

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/11/14 04:51 PM

when my TV stopped responding to their
Remote... I called them, they sent a workman to
check it out... turned out to be the TV itself.

Long story short.. I just got billed (as of yesterday)
over $200 for the service charge. frown $405.00 in all.

I doano.. I'm loosing it..

You should NOT have been charged for a service person to come to your house. Something is not right. Did the service person leave you a copy of the work order? Did Verizon let you know IN ADVANCE that if the issue was on YOUR end that you would be charged? If not, you need to write a letter to Verizon's CEO/President at their headquarters (New York or No Jersey) and snail mail it "Personal & Confidential." If you received a work order copy, send the CEO/President a copy. Use Google to find the necessary address info.
You can also post in their forums. The mods there will personally get in contact w/you to help you settle the matter and provide you w/the necessary corporate contact info.

And another thing..... You can change your service within Verizon's 2 year contract. You will also get credit for services not used.

Re: Finally cut the cord - 06/11/14 05:02 PM

No, I wasn't told in advance that I'd be charged,
(Comcast has never charged to come out no matter what)
I even pay Verizon an Internal Wire Insurance Fee
every month, to cover service charges TO THEIR EQUIPMENT
What I didn't know, was what exactly the problem was,
therefore I had no way of knowing in advance that I'd
be charged for the $90 per HALF Hour for the work.

And I knew in advance (when I initially signed onto Verizon,
that I was agreeing to a 2 Year Contract... that I could
drop BEFORE 30 days.. but from then on, I HAVE TO PAY THEM
$10 per month on any remaining contract ($10 X 24 Months)