Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent

Posted by: Acumowchek

Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/01/14 05:41 PM

Another $100 increase. crazy
I don't know how anyone can afford to live in California…
$150 last year, $100 the year before that. There is no way my employer can cover everything with a 5% raise.

Edit: This is insanity. Insurance, food, gas, EVERYTHING skyrocketing, $100 rent increase every year, are they TRYING to create poor people??? Freaking landlords are multi-millionaires and they are telling me I have the cheapest rent in town.

cry cry cry

(Sorry for the rant…)
Posted by: DLC

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/01/14 06:27 PM

In 1981, lived in E Palo Alto…. yes E Palo Alto… not Palo Alto (home of Stanford U ) and the same thing was occurring… landlords jacking up rents, letting maintenance go, properties deteriorate, etc. maximum $ out, minimum in !!

SO E. Palo Alto residents decided they had enough and decided to incorporate into a city. We battled a powerful Tri-County Alliance of Land Owners and they fought us like the GOP has fought the ACA !!
In May or June of 1983, we had an election and we WON !! They outspent us about 200 to 1 !! But the people persevered ! E Palo Alto became a city… I was heavily involved in the whole campaign…

The Tri-County people were ruthless thugs… they hired unemployed locals to harass us daily, tear down our posters, even fake a protest at City Hall for the local news media… NASTY people !! But in the end they LOST and Rent Control was initiated. I served on that board until Summer of 1984 when I moved back to Texas. One of the best experiences I've ever had… "David slew Goliath". (not me the people) I worked with Ruben Abrica and Barbara Mouton (the 1st mayor). Great people… I'm very proud to have played a small part.

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/01/14 06:48 PM

That. Is. Awesome. smile

All I know is, when I moved here after my divorce, I was able to pay off $40,000 in debts, buy a car, save money, and invest in an IRA… With half the amount I'm earning now.
Now? I work all day, freelance at night, do nothing for entertainment (Present company excepted), just to pay my rent.
And yeah, I may be bitter, but I know exactly who to blame. Me, for thinking, "It's going to get better", and George W. Bush for destroying this countries economy.

That said, I'm still a spoiled little a-hole, living a life of luxury compared to many peoples. Yay for me.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/01/14 06:54 PM

This room cost 2,000 dollars a month, you can believe it man it's true, somewhere a landlord's laughing till he wets his pants.

Granted it's about NYC, but I think you get it. He was the man, waitin' on the man.

For those that don't know how to search youtube; smirk

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/01/14 07:08 PM

I think you posted that last year when I ranted about the same thing.
Made me feel better then, makes me feel better now. smile

My housemate (Old victorian divided into 3 apartments), just got his rent raised too.
$1350 for 600 square feet. Total rent between the 3 of us? $4,500 per month.
It would be nice if they painted the freakin' place…
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/01/14 07:16 PM

I was in Cambridge, MA when rent control went the way of the dodo. A very sad day. The gentrification of Cambridge was already underway, but getting rid of rent control turbocharged it and extended it to areas of the city that had been more or less immune. The apartment where my wife and I were living went from 500 bucks per month to 900 bucks per month from one month to the next--and this was in 1980, when that was real money. We moved, naturally.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/01/14 10:07 PM

I moved into my 3 bd rm house back in summer of 2000. Rent was $450 for this pleasant quitet. house with double car garage. Now, comming on 14 years later my rent is now..... The same, $450. I keep expecting a notice anytime. Of course, my income is about the same also.

Dave
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/02/14 03:41 AM

California rent is ridiculous and absurd I agree with you completely on this. When I lived there back in the late 80's I paid for an apartment in Pacifica only $250.00 a month. Right on the beach.Now a days forget that price completely.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/02/14 04:26 AM

Rent Stabilization is the NYC equivalent of Rent Control in Boston — only more insidious in some ways. For decades, the process has allowed the grandfathering of amazing rental properties to those who can well afford full market rate apartments. Wall St. senior execs, CEOs, and other wealthy tenants paying under $1,000/mo for very large places are common examples.

My upstairs neighbor on W23 St. in Manhattan is a perfect example. I was paying $3,300/mo for a 1,000 sq. ft, 4th floor loft, while the guy upstairs had two units (front and back joined together) totaling 2,000 sq. ft., and was paying $1,550/mo! How? He had lived there for over 20 years, and by constantly suing the building owner, had managed to grandfather himself one hell of a deal. BTW, he is the owner of Tek Serve, which was virtually under my window, and he owns a nice big summer house in the Hamptons. smirk

The good news is that Rent Stabilization has been in phase-out mode for a/b 8 years or so, and will have disappeared in another 5-7 years.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/02/14 06:53 AM

Guess I came out to the good on this one...actually got a $40 per month reduction on rent this year, small place comes in at around 480 sq ft. rent is not all that bad considering it includes the utilities too, only extra I have to spring for is cable tv
Posted by: Nana

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/03/14 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
I moved into my 3 bd rm house back in summer of 2000. Rent was $450 for this pleasant quitet. house with double car garage.Now, comming on 14 years later my rent is now..... The same, $450. I keep expecting a notice anytime. Of course, my income is about the same also.

Dave

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/03/14 01:25 PM

Emphasis yours? LOL! laugh

Yeah, I fainted too…

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/03/14 07:06 PM

Yep. My brother says I'm a good renter. Paying on time. No pets. Don't complain much. I don't know. Rent all over the place is higher for much less.

Dave

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/03/14 09:01 PM

Define "Don't complain much". grin wink

Sounds good to me, MrB. cool

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 04/03/14 10:48 PM

Things like. A dishwasher that didn't work for four years. A garage door that from the very start was problematic. For two years I couldn't trust it at all so parked outside. Also, I currently don't have a storm door on my front door. Been that way for two years now.

But a couple years ago the landlord replace my complete air conditioner / furnace . Replaced everything except the duct works. Also, last fall, they installed a new garage door. Works beautifully now.

Dave