For Firefox devotees:

Posted by: steveg

For Firefox devotees: - 03/26/14 11:05 AM

And why this isn't posted in the Software forum.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/26/14 11:52 AM

That's unfortunate. I've been using the latest Firefox Beta for a week now, and I actually (I can't believe I'm saying this) like it a lot!

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/26/14 12:37 PM

It will now become the official browser of the Westboro Baptist Church! And Michigan, too. smirk
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/26/14 01:32 PM

And Hobby Lobby and Conestoga... crazy
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/26/14 01:35 PM

I need a month off from everything so I can clean up my bookmarks and migrate to Safari.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/26/14 09:00 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am totally opposite of his beliefs.

I hate the current trend of misuse/overuse of the bullying word, but just to make a point, it seems like a bullying tactic to get someone with different values to change their beliefs. What does the CEO of a web browser have to do with personal values?

$1000, 6 years ago?
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/27/14 03:59 AM

Firefox is a good company to deal with.

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/27/14 05:23 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
Firefox is a good company to deal with.
I think your opinion on this subject is misguided. wink
Posted by: Celandine

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/27/14 06:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_

1) Don't get me wrong, I am totally opposite of his beliefs.

2) I hate the current trend of misuse/overuse of the bullying word,

3) but just to make a point, it seems like a bullying tactic to get someone with different values to change their beliefs.

4) What does the CEO of a web browser have to do with personal values?

1) I'm opposed to it too.

2) The word is neither overused nor misused. What it “is” is FINALLY being recognized for what it is: “Bullying” isn’t confined to schoolyards, nor is the Bully confined to being some overwhelmingly tough guy capable of wrestling you to the ground and taking your icecream money, or simply “making you cry ‘UNCLE’

3) “Bullying” is all too often used by adults as an intimidation tactic, in the workplace or even on the WWWeb utilized in such a way as to force others to go along with whatever agenda they espouse or risk being ostracized by people who who’d otherwise be considered their peers.

4) Perfect Case In Point.

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/27/14 09:40 AM

I had no eye deer Firefox is a company! I always thought it was a Clint Eastwood B movie — which, btw, may have just become a bit timely again. eek
Posted by: Nana

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/27/14 09:55 AM

One of my favorite Eastwood movies. Although I was bored out of mind until he stole FF only to find out there was a twin! laugh

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/27/14 10:58 AM

Well, that didn't take long.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/28/14 03:43 AM

It is a good browser to use.

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/28/14 03:51 AM

...and St. Patrick's Day is still a fun holiday...

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/28/14 05:00 PM

Apparently, a few Mozilla board members have now resigned. Not sure how long this cat will stick around. They aren't going to let their board fall apart and lose any more developers than they already have if it's as simple as sh!t-canning the guy.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/29/14 05:04 PM

I recommend Iron. It's pretty good. It is basically Google Chrome with all the trackers meticulously removed.

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/29/14 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Apparently, a few Mozilla board members have now resigned. Not sure how long this cat will stick around. They aren't going to let their board fall apart and lose any more developers than they already have if it's as simple as sh!t-canning the guy.
Again, if his ideals had any impact on the product, I could see it, but what they are doing is just outright internet bullying of someone to think like they do.

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/30/14 04:38 AM

Maybe yes, maybe no. You can also look at it as people not wanting to work with someone who's views deeply offend them. That's not really bullying, but rather taking a stand. I've resigned a few accounts over the years because the clients' political/social views or general attitude offended me. I don't think I was bullying anyone in those cases. In fact, in the most recent case, it was the client who was the bully.

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/30/14 06:37 AM

It does have impact on the product. The people who work on the code for Firefox directly have stopped working on it. The Mozilla employees who are responsible for overseeing those developers are not happy and/or threatening to leave.

I'm torn on this subject. While I think the guy is an a$$hole (based on his beliefs), I think everyone else involved is a hypocrite. They claim to be upset because they don't want his beliefs forced upon them, yet they want to "bully" the company into forcing him out based on their own beliefs.

This is about the same as African American extremists who claim to simply want to be on an equal playing field as everyone else—yet they insist on all manner of "concessions" like mandatory hiring practices, special scholorships, etc.

To me, this is little more than a bunch of ignorant jackasess grandstanding.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/30/14 11:42 AM

If an acting Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan took over as CEO of a company, would employees refusing to work for him or outright resigning on principle be grandstanding as well? Wouldn't it actually be hypocritical of them to *continue* to do work for that company and help pay his salary? Why would it be ignorant of them to use the only leverage they have -- their productivity -- to have him removed so they can return to work in good conscience?

Also, your analogy is flawed in that the disagreement here isn't about equal opportunity in employment, it's about not working for someone who basically considers you anathema to society ...
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/31/14 04:21 AM

Quote:
someone who basically considers you anathema to society

On what do you base this opinion? From what I've read, the guy doesn't agree with the gay lifestyle. I saw no indication that he hates gays.

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/31/14 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Stumpy1
Quote:
someone who basically considers you anathema to society

On what do you base this opinion? From what I've read, the guy doesn't agree with the gay lifestyle. I saw no indication that he hates gays.

...much less lynches them.

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/31/14 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one

If an acting Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan took over as CEO of a company, would employees refusing to work for him or outright resigning on principle be grandstanding as well?
Not really a good analogy. The head of an organization whose basis is prejudice to anyone not a white protestant is entirely different from this case. He opposes marriage equality, nothing said about race color religion etc.

And others have covered the anathema angle.

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/31/14 09:52 AM

Does one need an inhaler for anathema? whistle

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/31/14 09:56 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Does one need an inhaler for anathema? whistle
More like a smack up side the head many times over. grin

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/31/14 09:59 AM

Smack has medicinal uses? Who'd-a-thunk!? shocked

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/31/14 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Originally Posted By: six_of_one

If an acting Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan took over as CEO of a company, would employees refusing to work for him or outright resigning on principle be grandstanding as well?
Not really a good analogy. The head of an organization whose basis is prejudice to anyone not a white protestant is entirely different from this case. He opposes marriage equality, nothing said about race color religion etc.

The point being the person who becomes your boss believes you should be treated less in our society than himself (and others like him). I used the Grand Wizard for emphasis on that basic belief of others not being equal to one's self, not to say that this particular person was concerned about race, color or religion …

But the question still stands: would employees refusing to work for such a person or outright resigning simply be "grandstanding" or acting on their beliefs using the only real leverage they have available?

Quote:
And others have covered the anathema angle.

Perhaps "anathema" may have been a bit strong (although I think it logical to assume that if you believe some people should be denied rights afforded everyone else, you also probably hold a less-than-respectful view of them as a whole, if not as individual persons as well). Given the rhetoric along those very lines of not just a few of those of the anti-gay (rights) contingent, I don't think "anathema" inappropriate in general. In this particular instance, it may have been a bit much, however, so I'll withdraw the comment in favor of "someone who believes you personally are less than worthy of some of the basic rights enjoyed by everyone else". Either way, I believe the point I was making stands ...

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 03/31/14 05:06 PM

Quote:
...much less lynches them.

???

Re: For Firefox devotees: - 04/03/14 01:36 PM

And that's that.