It's official.

Posted by: steveg

It's official. - 03/14/14 04:19 AM

It's bad enough that the double 6 is hanging over me, and now the OFI pooch has formally screwed me but good! I'm prone to spasms in my lower back a couple of times a year. Sometimes just some discomfort sometimes really painful; sometimes only for a few days, sometimes longer. I've had an unusually troublesome one for the past ten days, so I saw the doc yesterday and it turns out that this one is putting a lot of pressure on my sciatic nerve, which means sitting for 15 min. or more causes my right thigh and glute to lock up 'till I can work it loose.

So besides some real fun meds, he also prescribed… eek

Click to reveal..

Now all I need is that special edition of Rosetta Stone that will teach me to say YOU KIDS GIT OF MY LAWN! in 13 languages. laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 04:37 AM

Uh huh huh huh, you're old. grin

At least you get the good parking spots now.
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 05:24 AM

One of my employee's sciatic nerve issue was so painful, she could not walk. She had out patient surgery and is almost back to normal and just needs to straighten some muscles...pretty amazing.

Being tall, back issues are always there. I started using an inversion table over a year and even with heavy weight lifting, I have not had any back spasms in a year. I use it daily. I cannot claim it works but it does help me stretch out prior to exercising.

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 05:51 AM

Being tall… yeah, that's it. I'm too damned tall. whistle

I don't need no steenkin' inversion machines, either because my clients stand me on my head and twist me inside out as it is. smirk

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 05:56 AM

Well, the placard was supposed to be for 6 months only, but I don't know if the prescription was written incorrectly or the BMV clerk screwed up because it doesn't expire for 5-1/2 years! In fact, I'll only use it if I'm really in pain, because frankly, I'd rather walk more whenever possible.
Posted by: DLC

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 06:06 AM

Dang I thought it was going to be a whoopsie cushion!! frown

laugh

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 06:45 AM

Great idea — I'm-a-gonna slip a fart bladder into my heating pad! blush grin
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 06:58 AM

A lot is to be said for the inversion table. A few minutes a day with the weight pulling your vertebrae away from each other and letting the muscles and bones relax to where they would normally reside is something I would highly recommend to anyone.
I would have one but it's not to that point yet... plus I ain't got the room.

Another good one I like is laying on the floor in front of the couch with my calves and feet resting on the couch seat cushion. This stretches the back a bit... and the floor helps my back align properly.. while the weight of my legs is on the couch. Turn on some music or tv and do that for 15-20 minutes a day.

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 07:15 AM

My normal regimen is a 45-60 min walk every morning and evening with 5 min of stretching before and after each, plus 35-40 crunches after the morning walk and 20-25 pushups after the evening walk. But this past winter was so crappy, my routine was trashed, which may have left me a bit more vulnerable to what's going on right now. Hopefully I'll be ok in the next week or two and can ease back into my program. In the meantime, I'm watching CL for a good deal on a basic treadmill so another rough winter won't throw me.

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 07:23 AM

I hear you on the exercise. My way of thinking is that the verts get out of place and then the muscles move into place and lock it in that position. Inverting allows the it to stretch out and hopefully go back to where it should be. The walking and treadmill is good... but for me.. if I have a pinched nerve due to a vert being out of place... those things don't help. Actually they worsen it. I had to ditch a stair master... every time i used it I had horrible lower back issues and sciatic pain.

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Great idea — I'm-a-gonna slip a fart bladder into my heating pad! blush grin

OHHH you're wicked !! wink

laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 08:36 AM

I don't know if the crunches are a good thing for a bad back.

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 09:01 AM

Well, duh, I don't do the crunches or pushups when I have the spasms. tongue And they're easy crunches, too. I'm not looking for a six-pack or anything like that. Besides, the spasms are a muscular thing — not skeletal, so it's not a "bad back" per se.
Posted by: MrB

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 09:01 AM

I've watched the teeter guy for years infomercialing his Hamgups. I've been intrigued with the concept. It's one thing on the tube I think just might be beneficial. The only thing that keeps me from getting one is the space needed and also idea of strapping my ankles together then hanging helplessly upside down would make me panic as I'm so claustrophobic .

But still think it would feel wonderful

Dave
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 09:59 AM

My regular schedule: get up and sit down to have breakfast and read the paper. Get up and sit down in the car to go to my office. Get up from the car and sit down at my desk. Get up and stand in front of a class for an hour. Sit down at my desk. Get up and stand in front of a class for an hour. Sit down at my desk. Get up and stand in front of a class for an hour. Sit down at my desk. Get up and sit in the car to go home. Sit down at my desk at home. Get up to cook and sit down to eat it. Sit down to watch Jeopardy. Get up to go sit down at my desk. Get up to brush the teeth. Go to bed. Get up and sit down to have breakfast. . . .

You should see the thigh muscles from all that getting up and sitting down!

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 10:33 AM

But do you sleep sitting down or standing up?

Oh, and you must be ready to burst because you didn't mention standing up to pee or sitting down to crap! blush eek
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 11:44 AM

My inversion table is from Teeters. I would not get one without the easy foot release though, at least for me being tall (6'4"). Space is an issue, hence it being in my home office. My cats like it though as when I am inverted, they have a captive playmate!

I jog for an hour on the treadmill three times a week and lift weights three times a week. Instead of strongman stuff anymore, I mainly focus on joint health. I still lift heavy but focus on the knees, back, etc. I also do a lot core exercises such as hanging leg lifts, weighted crunches, incline sit-ups and reverse hyper extensions. I also do multiple back lifts to hit the lower and upper back.

My hyper bench is great for the lower back:

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 12:03 PM

I'm long past that kind of program. During most of the 90's, when I was cycling nearly 10K miles a year and racing weekends from April to late September, I had a more disciplined regimen, and it was almost daily. Every weekday I did 20-25 miles at dawn (occasionally w/the Harvard racing team); Saturdays were century training rides; and Sundays were usually race days. For strength, I did free weights, and I had one of the original Schwinn Bowlflex machines (a bit less configurable then, but the same system of carbon fiber rods for resistance). Plus I had a stair stepper and a stationery bike (both Tunturi), a track stand, and rollers. Boy, them were the days! cry

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 12:13 PM

Boy, them were the days!

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 12:32 PM

Watch where you point that cane, Eugene! eek
Posted by: drjohn

Re: It's official. - 03/14/14 09:39 PM

I belong to AA…Athletics Anonymous. When I feel like exercising I have a number I call and a guy comes over with a bottle of Jack Daniels to help get me over the feeling. grin

Re: It's official. - 03/15/14 07:22 AM

Originally Posted By: drjohn
I belong to AA…Athletics Anonymous. When I feel like exercising I have a number I call and a guy comes over with a bottle of Jack Daniels to help get me over the feeling. grin

Can I join?

Re: It's official. - 03/15/14 07:34 AM

And here I thought you didn't know Jack. whistle

Re: It's official. - 03/15/14 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
And here I thought you didn't know Jack. whistle

Didn't you KNOW? Him and Jack are like this, X !! whistle
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: It's official. - 03/15/14 07:25 PM

Re: It's official. - 03/16/14 03:27 AM

Yo, Giz — that's definitely a good look for you! tongue

Re: It's official. - 03/17/14 11:02 AM

Crap. Just had a followup w/the doc. Slight hip rotation being caused by the pressure from the spasm, so a different anti-inflammatory and continue muscle relaxant, plus a month of PT. If that doesn't straighten me out, then it's an MRI and possible back surgery. Ugh… tongue
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: It's official. - 03/17/14 11:04 AM

Ugh is right.
Back pain is the worst.
Hang in there, Steve.

Re: It's official. - 03/17/14 12:08 PM

Good luck, ol' buddy. Curtis is right--back pain's the worst.