Taxes and weed

Posted by: Jim_

Taxes and weed - 02/21/14 01:41 PM

Pretty much like we figured, it's already showing the results. Increase in tax revenue, and decreased spending in enforcing archaic laws. My guess is once the pols see the revenue, other states will quickly follow suit.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/02/21/colorado-pot-tax.html
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/21/14 02:53 PM

Think of all the millions in tax revenue that have been lost over the years that could have been put to use to do good
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/21/14 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
Think of all the millions in tax revenue that have been lost over the years that could have been put to use to do good
I would but I can't remember the years. grin
Posted by: DLC

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/21/14 04:19 PM

What a disapointment !! I read the Title as "TExas and Weed !!" I was so let down when I realized it was TAxes and weed !! cry cry

laugh

Agreed on the statements !!!

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/21/14 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Pirate

Yeah... ...just think...
...all that money Up In Smoke
Posted by: MrB

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/22/14 02:19 PM

Yes, one part of the plan
"The spending plan included $45.5 million for youth use prevention, $40.4 million for substance abuse treatment and $12.4 million for public health."

Sounds like a good plan. Sell more pot to keep kids off pot.

I can see it now, the kid is having trouble with drugs, so the parents take him to a treatment center. On the way, they stop at the local Pot store to stock up their own supply smirk

Dave
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/22/14 02:31 PM

Quote:

Works for cigarettes ...

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/22/14 02:33 PM

And alcohol also.

Dave

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/22/14 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Yes, one part of the plan
"The spending plan included $45.5 million for youth use prevention, $40.4 million for substance abuse treatment and $12.4 million for public health."

I can see it now, the kid is having trouble with drugs, so the parents take him to a treatment center. On the way, they stop at the local Pot store to stock up their own supply smirk

Dave

lol
Skip the Rush Limpbough/"Reefer Madness" lecture, dude,
yer out of your depth on this one

in case you hadn't noticed
kids have been toking up for an entire generation
it's the grown-ups who're just catching onto using
it for medicinal purposes (DUH! Guess What? IT WORKS!).

AFAIConcerned:
it's the kids who should be dragging the parents to AA Meetings.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/22/14 06:03 PM

Fingers crossed down here.

LL
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/22/14 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea

Fingers crossed down here.

LL

And up here.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/22/14 06:09 PM

Revenue rules. This dog will hunt, retreive and fill coffers.

wink
LoveLea

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/22/14 06:39 PM

Hope you're right. But this is PA. I'm not holding my breath. Not without something to hold in, anyways.

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/22/14 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea

Revenue rules. This dog will hunt, retreive and fill coffers.

wink
LoveLea

Might even make Ted Cruz lighten (or light) up !!! laugh

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/23/14 03:11 AM

I actually have no opinion on this so I defer to others who have more experience. I've never done drugs except for my regular meds. And coffee and tea occasionally

But being a sceptic, I feel these loosened marijuana laws will have unintended consequences.

I've heard issues are arising in Colorado dealing with the drug cartels no liking the drop in revenue and that the legal stores are experiencing some major robberies so are being forced to hire some heavy security.
Just what I've heard.

But the vast increase in income from taxes and other revenue to the economy may make these issues acceptable if they are issues at all.

Dave
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/23/14 03:15 AM

What is this country coming to? I disagree with this concept of pot completely!
Posted by: steveg

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/23/14 03:53 AM

I'm having a hard time getting past ambivalence on this issue. Alcohol (following the repeal of Prohibition) and tobacco have certainly been good for tax revenue. But socially and in terms of public health and safety, not so much. As a very heavy user of pot, hashish, LSD, and mescaline in my college days*, I just became bored with being high every f'n day during my senior year at MassArt. A few of my friends and former classmates still get high often. Whatevah turns you on, sez I. If legalizing Mary Jane mitigates the foolishness in the courts, I'm all for it — but with a wary eye on the broader results over time.

*Duuuuuuude. I wish I could recall a few details. But… Oh wow!
grin

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/23/14 07:46 AM

It's not just tax revenue. The FBI says there are over 1.5 million arrests for drugs every year, about half of which were for pot. So think about the cost of that--the cops' salaries, the cost of courthouse paperwork, the cost of prison time, the cost of court time, not to mention the cost for the lives of the people arrested for a felony. And for what? I'm not a libertarian by any stretch of the imagination, but when it comes to victimless "crimes," it's a different story.

I know for a fact that some people will abuse pot in the same way that some people abuse coffee or alcohol or food or yoga or whatever makes their little worlds turn. Heck, I sit around reading crappy murder mysteries day after day--what a drag on the economy! Ban crappy murder mysteries!

The argument that legalizing pot makes it easier to get high and produces all sorts of social problems strikes me as being so near sighted that it makes Mr. Magoo seem to have 20/20 vision. How easy is it to get pot now? How many social problems stem from making pot criminal so that to get it you have to participate in a criminal enterprise, which stretches from the horrible labor practices where the stuff is grown to the military regimes of drug cartels to the street-corner shoot-'em-ups in my town? We're so used to it that maybe we don't see it, but the "war on drugs" made this into a police state long before 9-11 put us into a state of siege. Look around you: the current state of affairs is a social problem!

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/23/14 08:08 AM

I agree with SteveG, pot is just another drug like alcohol & toe-baccie ! It's not cocaine or heroin... During Prohibition alcohol was illegal and cocaine legal... how insane is that ??

I think it's about time... if you're going to have alcohol & tobacco sales, why not MJ... they're all on about the same level. Saves $ in law enforcement that can be used for more serious crimes and bring in tax $$.

And all those that get off on the moral issues, what about all the state lotteries ?? crazy
States lost the moral ground many decades ago !

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/23/14 08:10 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
<snip>
The argument that legalizing pot makes it easier to get high and produces all sorts of social problems strikes me as being so near sighted that it makes Mr. Magoo seem to have 20/20 vision. How easy is it to get pot now? How many social problems stem from making pot criminal so that to get it you have to participate in a criminal enterprise, which stretches from the horrible labor practices where the stuff is grown to the military regimes of drug cartels to the street-corner shoot-'em-ups in my town? We're so used to it that maybe we don't see it, but the "war on drugs" made this into a police state long before 9-11 put us into a state of siege. Look around you: the current state of affairs is a social problem!

THAN-Q RONALD RAY-GUNZ!
(...and "just say 'NO'" MRS RAY-GUNZ ((Nancy)) )

I HATE BOTH THEM SUNZABEACHES! cry
(...as in: I STILL DO!)

The Great Communicator was nothing other than a
SHILL For parties seeking control.

Wisht he'd'a stuck to hawking soap-suds, the bastid

What you neglected to add YoYo was that
Once a Person has been stigmatized by
having been indicted committing a Felony...
...they can never VOTE again...
...for the REST OF THEIR LIVES!

Talk about "VOTER SUPPRESSION!"
Now reflect upon NY's controversial
"STOP & FRISK" LAWS

Re: Taxes and weed - 02/23/14 08:48 AM

wot yer still overlooking
(...or understating...)
it's Medical Applications

(do the google)