Cable modem &router

Posted by: MrB

Cable modem &router - 02/19/14 08:23 PM

A friend of mine wil be getting cable Internet . So I'm looking for a decent modem and wireless router either as a combo unit or separate units. Any help would be appreciated

Dave
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/19/14 09:47 PM

Who will be his ISP?

How big an area does the wireless have to cover? A room, an apartment, small house, big house, access while sitting outside etc?

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/19/14 10:42 PM

Just a small house

Dave

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 03:54 AM

Who will be his cable provider? His ISP.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 04:03 AM

Hmmm... most cable internet providers that I'm aware of supply you with theirs.... unless you're trying to save money by buying your(his) own?

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 06:01 AM

Her ISP will be Cox Communications. . They would offer a modem, ar least, but my friend doesn't want to rent it . One reason is that I offered to purchase it for her.

On their website, they have preferred units , but I can't find much about them and don't know much anyway.

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/i...90-000000000000

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 06:20 AM

The average modem rental is less than $6/mo with most providers. At retail, modems run from the mid-$50s to the mid-$70s, so at best, it takes a year for the modem to pay for itself. Plus, depending on the provider, some user-owned modems can be problematic if the ISP issues service changes or updates.

That said, if router signal strength (as in punching through multiple walls or outside use) is not an issue, some cable modems — like Motorola Surfboard Gateway series — have a built-in wireless router, so you can reduce equipment and cable clutter. Mine works fine within my office, but upstairs and outside it's useless, so I use a Belkin N750DB router (which has a much more robust signal than even Apples's APX) as a bridge.

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 06:59 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
On their website, they have preferred units , but I can't find much about them and don't know much anyway.

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/i...90-000000000000
Perfect, that's what I needed. You can get the Motorola SBG6580 modem/router combo on Amazon for $123.97 shipped. They have used ones for a bit cheaper but for $30 more you get new. I recommend the Motorola Surfboards.

The other wi-fi one, Surfboard SBG6782, is a newer model with dual band wi-fi, 2.4 and 5Ghz. If she is in a densely populated area where there are a lot of other wireless routers the 5Ghz helps to eliminate interference. You can bring your iPad over and see how many networks are in the area. It is close to $200 though. Your call there.

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Hmmm... most cable internet providers that I'm aware of supply you with theirs.... unless you're trying to save money by buying your(his) own?
With rental at 7-10 a month though it pays for itself in a year or so.

The advantage to renting is if it goes out the cable company will come over and replace it right away as compared to one having to go out and buy another.

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 07:07 AM

You could go with a regular modem and a wireless router that hooks up to it also. The all-in-one modem/wireless is a simpler and cleaner setup. With separate ones if one goes out you only have to get either the modem or the router. Combined cost of separate ones is about the same as an all-in-one.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 07:31 AM

I think I'd ask the Cable company if they update their modems for free and how often... reason I say that is the technology changes every couple of years... if it takes 12-15 or even 18 months to break even, renting isn't a bad option IF they offer Free UpGrades. You might save 6 months rental ($35-40) but then you have no insurance if your purchased one dies ! Of Course you DO have a recourse if they decide raise the rent over the 1-2 year period, you could decide to purchase one then....

I'd also compare the Specs of their model Vs. those recommended (above).. they may be giving you a Model T and charging like it's a T-bird !! wink

Lots of Pros and Cons . . . .just don't get conned !! laugh

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 07:56 AM

When I upgraded to Roadrunner Extreme 50, a new modem was required. TWC provided it an no charge — and the monthly rental stayed the same ($5.99/mo). And just a few months ago when I accepted a promo offer that included digital phone, the phone modem was provided for free w/no rental charge either.

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 08:02 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
I think I'd ask the Cable company if they update their modems for free and how often… reason I say that is the technology changes every couple of year.
Not really. DOCSIS 3 is the latest. It's been around for 7 years or so, and it took them quite a few years to go from 1.1 to 2.0 then to 3.0. 3.1 is coming but we're talking Gigabit speeds, not really residential use.
Quote:
I'd also compare the Specs of their model Vs. those recommended (above).. they may be giving you a Model T and charging like it's a T-bird !! wink

Lots of Pros and Cons . . . .just don't get conned !! laugh
If she was a serious gamer, it was a house with multiple users, or something along those lines I'd agree. I still use a SB5120 which is DOCSIS 2.0. It will do 30M down, more than I have. They are also about $15 on ebay and more than fast enough for my 15M download plan. I have a backup ready to go at that price. Newer isn't always better, all depending on the end user.

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 08:05 AM

Thanks so much guys!

It's been a while since I updated mine. I purchased my modem through them at first then when I went wireless I added my one router. I was thinking the combo unit would make things simpler. Her current house is a small duplex setup. I've not been in the house but believe it has but few rooms all on one level.

Also, her daughter works for Cox.

Dave

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 08:10 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
It's been a while since I updated mine. I purchased my modem through them at first
If you're getting your full download speed you're paying for through speedtest.net, don't worry about it. Like I mentioned splitting hairs on the specs is more for the gamers etc.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 09:59 AM

I've been using the Apple's Airport Extreme as a router piggybacking off various ISP routers/modems without so much as a blip.
Verizon's router/modems are free & are yours to keep after you cancel. I sold mine to my brother for $15.
I currently have a Motorola Surfboard router/modem (FREE from my cable ISP) piggybacking off of my AE.

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Nana
I currently have a Motorola Surfboard router/modem (FREE from my cable ISP) piggybacking off of my AE.
You sure? Check your bill.

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/20/14 08:11 PM

Looks like she has it arranged. I want to thank all of the suggestions here

Dave

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/21/14 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_

It's free, believe me! I always scrutinize my bills with a fine tooth comb. Magnifying glass as a back up. laugh
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/21/14 02:58 PM

They said my router was free too...and it was....except I have to pay a $5 per month fee to use it

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/22/14 03:27 AM

Yeah, laughable how they try to pass a lease off as "free".

Re: Cable modem &router - 02/22/14 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Pirate

They said my router was free too...and it was....except I have to pay a $5 per month fee to use it

I am in a unique situation. I live in Comcast's backyard. Therefore, its competitors offer incentives...no charges for modems/routers or the tv remotes. All rental fees are waived except for the HD box. Usually the HD box is free from 6 months to a year. After that to rent is between $2.50 - $5/monthly. Actually, what you pay for rent depends on your negotiation skillzs and if you are a "preferred" customer = never late paying bills.
Also, the competitors offer 2-3 yr contracts to lock in the price.