Going to work

Posted by: yoyo52

Going to work - 02/19/14 05:54 PM

So I've been walking to work for the last week or so. Since we park on the street, I'm afraid that if I move the car, I'll never again find a place to park and will be wandering forever until mid summer when all the snow is gone.

But today I didn't walk. Nope, this morning I skated to work. Freezing rain and sleet on the sidewalks and on the blacktop was a real challenge. But I didn't fall. Came damned close several times. I give all the glory to the Olympics. Just watching now and then has taught me how to be poised on ice.

wink
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Going to work - 02/19/14 07:37 PM

Damn, you guys are still having all of the fun. It was almost 50 here and breezy and sunny all day. Birds were active so cats were at the windows. Most of the snow off the roofs. Seeing patches of grass under the trees, most of the 6 inches of ice on the side streets is gone.

No fair.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Going to work - 02/19/14 07:49 PM

yeah... we got a Special Advisory Alert too:

BLACK ICE FORMING LATE THIS EVENING...

TEMPERATURES FALLING INTO THE UPPER 20S OVERNIGHT WILL CAUSE
RESIDUAL WATER FROM TODAY'S PRECIPITATION AND SNOW MELT TO
FREEZE. THIS WILL RESULT IN HAZARDOUS TRAVEL... INCLUDING
WALKING... ON UNTREATED SURFACES. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE OF
SIDEWALKS... PARKING LOTS AND DRIVEWAYS.

...thanx for The Heads-Up shocked
Posted by: steveg

Re: Going to work - 02/20/14 03:55 AM

Yup. Same here. Supposed to be low 60s and some rain today and fairly mild through the end of the week. But back to Winter next week. Bleh...
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Going to work - 02/20/14 03:47 PM

I feel your pain. It's so cold here, I don't have to sit in the shade in my bathing suit while sipping margaritas by the pool.

Re: Going to work - 02/20/14 08:18 PM

tongue

Re: Going to work - 02/21/14 03:05 AM

I was envious… Right up to the part a/b you in a bathing suit — at which point I longed for an arctic blast to blow that image away. tongue

Re: Going to work - 02/21/14 03:11 AM

Yeesh! All but the biggest plow piles are now gone. But the quick warmup and all that melt has left the ground so soggy that the concrete pad beneath my heat exchanger actually sank a couple of inches on one side so now the unit is listing at least 8° off the vertical!

Frost heaves are very common here, so I'll see if the coming colder temps will restore the angle over the next few days, but it looks like a chore I'll have to undertake this spring. Ugh.

Re: Going to work - 02/21/14 06:03 AM

We've had a lot of melting over the last couple of days, but the piles are still piled and the mess is still messy. We're supposed to get torrential rain today. That should make for lovely puddles and small lakes since more or less all the storm drain inlets are covered with snow.