Curling!

Posted by: yoyo52

Curling! - 02/15/14 02:18 PM

Women's curling on right now. What a thrill!
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Curling! - 02/15/14 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Women's curling on right now. What a thrill!

WTH iz it with The SCOTS?

...and THROWING Ridiculously HEAVY Objects???

(Ted's in the other room CHEERING! tongue )
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Curling! - 02/15/14 03:36 PM

laugh

Re: Curling! - 02/15/14 03:50 PM

laugh laugh laugh
Posted by: MrB

Re: Curling! - 02/15/14 06:29 PM

The women love big stones and try to keep things in the house. They also like takeouts and draws.

Dave
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Curling! - 02/15/14 07:07 PM

grin
Posted by: DLC

Re: Curling! - 02/15/14 08:07 PM

What a white sport! Like the luge! Bill Maher says so! laugh

Re: Curling! - 02/15/14 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
What a white sport! Like the luge! Bill Maher says so! laugh

"White" as in Japan and china who did rather well.

In the whole Winter Olympics. I saw very view black faces and very few black countries there. Of course most black countries reside in warm climes.

As for the us I saw only two black athletes.

Dave
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Curling! - 02/16/14 03:03 AM

To me it looks boring in my opinion. No real excitement at all.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Curling! - 02/16/14 03:17 AM

Try that with cows! shocked
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Curling! - 02/18/14 01:41 PM

Women are great at Curling.
Probably due to all that practice mopping floors their whole life.

[ducks down under a table to avoid flying objects]

Re: Curling! - 02/18/14 02:28 PM

LOL reminds me of the jimmy Fallon and the baby commercial! laugh

Re: Curling! - 02/18/14 06:05 PM

The excitement comes in the strategy and the ability of those players to slide 42 lb rocks 92 feet curving around other guy's rock to bump other rocks which may bump other rocks then come to rest in a spot that is millimeters closer to the pin then what the other guys might do later on in that set called an end.

It's not a lot of flamboyant jumping and hitting each other like other sports but that's what appeals to me. More of a chess match.

Dave

Re: Curling! - 02/18/14 07:05 PM

So the ladies get the rocks off?

I'm so confused.

Re: Curling! - 02/18/14 07:13 PM

So the ladies get the rocks off?

I'm so confused.

Yes ... specially if they knock the men's rocks off the board !! blush

laugh

Re: Curling! - 02/18/14 07:45 PM

Our women did not do well this time. I believe they only won one game in ten played

Dave

Re: Curling! - 02/18/14 07:49 PM

See , there ya go !! They also quit hand mopping floors years ago and so they're SO out of practice !! DUH !! wink

(QUICKLY Ducking under table with Mac G !!) laugh
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Curling! - 02/19/14 02:49 AM

To each his own I state to you.

Re: Curling! - 02/19/14 04:42 AM

Just woke up to tune into the last rock thrown by Canada women to win their semifinal match against Great Britain , 6-4 . They play for gold tomorrow.

Would have liked to have seen the whole match. Hard fought between two good teams

Dave

Re: Curling! - 02/19/14 06:54 AM

Been Busy

meanwhile the station I was tuned to went to the Olympics.

Either the latest sport added was "Scalding Cats"
or (..still without looking over my shoulder..)
the current event is "Women's CURLING"

Re: Curling! - 02/19/14 03:34 PM

In Curlyng if you make a bad shot can you utter "Whoot-woo-woo-woo-woo ! Naah ! "

and if you nail the other person's rock can you shout " Nyuk- Nyuk- Nyuk- Nyuk !" ?? blush

laugh

WHY soitenly !!

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Curling! - 02/19/14 03:51 PM

grin
Yer killin' me!

Re: Curling! - 02/19/14 07:07 PM

Al I have to say is

Nuuk nyuk nyuk nyuk

Dave

Re: Curling! - 02/21/14 05:20 PM

WOW!

clicky

Re: Curling! - 02/21/14 06:41 PM

WOW!

clicky
LOL. As long as they brought it up, I wonder how curling came to be a "sport" in the Olympics. Yeah I have Google, 1998. I watched some of it, I can see the competitive part, the strategeries of the broom and a pair of skates for 20 seconds, but I guess it all depends on your meaning of the word sport. It would be like putting horseshoes or billiards in the summer Olympics IMO. It could safely be done drunk. Compelling to watch maybe, but except for the emotion catalyst, a competitor's heart rate barely goes above idle. grin

Yeah, there is a level of skill to it, but a bit different from the athletes on the luge or any other event.

Re: Curling! - 02/21/14 08:00 PM

I think that horseshoes in the Olympics would be a splendid idea.

To tell the truth, there's so much professionalism in the Olympics any more that they aren't all that interesting to me. Who cares what team wins the hockey medals when the teams are basically NHL all-stars.

Re: Curling! - 02/22/14 01:59 AM

I've not done curling but I can appreciate the sport, as I've done a fair amount of horseshoe pitching when I was a teen. The precision that is accomplished sliding a 42 lb rock 100 feet around other ricks in its path to bump into other rocks then come to rest within a couple inches of ones target is amazing. Not just a little skill

As to heart rate, watch the sweepers after a run to see how much they have exerted themselves. When sweeping they are supporting their weight on that broom while sweeping . Tough workout.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11778181

http://curlwithmath.blogspot.com/2k007/11/curling-myths-how-do-we-calculate-truth.html

Every sport has its own skill development so to compare to others might not be fair. Take basketball foul shooting. A player throws a ball 15 feet to go through a 18 inch hoop. A good player does this 75% of the time .

Try this.a basketball court is 94 feet long which is about the sames as a curling sheet. Place a basketball on the floor under one of the hoops. Now go to the foul line on the opposite end and roll a second ball to that first ball so that it rolls up to it but just touches it not knocking it away. Now put two other balls directly in line between the first two and do the same thing so you have to curl the ball around those in the middle. Oh, you have to stand on ice to do it.

Finally, the score is objectively determined by how many stones are the closest measured by a Vernier caliper not judged on style points.

Speaking, of horseshoe pitching, when I through back back in my day, I thought I was pretty good if I hit four or five ringers in a 21 pt game. Champion players will throw 85% ringers. My brother in CA played in the national tournament last year in Utah. He thinks he came in about 700th hehehe.

Dave

Re: Curling! - 02/22/14 06:29 AM

I have to admit - watched a game the other day on MSNBC and the strategy reminded me of billiards. It IS a respectable sport... it's just an easy target for jokes.

That said, "Spread OUT, you morons !" grin

Re: Curling! - 02/22/14 07:13 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC

"Spread OUT, you morons !" grin

"W00 W00 W00 W00!"

Re: Curling! - 02/22/14 07:49 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
As to heart rate, watch the sweepers after a run to see how much they have exerted themselves. When sweeping they are supporting their weight on that broom while sweeping . Tough workout.
A tough workout? Really? It's only around 10 secs of brushing. Most of the heart rate is from their excitement. If they're out of breath after 10 secs…

I do understand the scoring and strategeries, I mentioned that. That's not what I'm talking about though. My point is that it may be called a sport, but I don't consider the participants anywhere near the same caliber of athletes as compared to any of the other events in the Olympics. I don't get how it became an event. All of the other sports require a combination of amazing stamina, precision, strength, coordination, dexterity, and nerve, and except for Ski Jumping, many times more than 10 seconds of physical activity. Although comparing the level of precision, strength, coordination, dexterity, and nerve required for Ski Jumping to Curling, they are worlds apart.

Watching any of the other events can be compelling and breathtaking. Sorry, Curling just doesn't do it for me like the rest. Like horseshoes and billiards, it seems like a great drinking sport. grin Horseshoes has more action though. smirk

Look at pictures of the sport from way back, pre-Olympic days. It's a bunch of men in overcoats, boots, and hats, many of them older men too. A bit different class of "athlete" as compared to any other sport.

Anyway, like has been mentioned, the whole thing used to be about amateur athletes competing. They're all professionals now. I really haven't watched much of any of it this year.

Re: Curling! - 02/22/14 08:51 AM

What Puts the Curl in a Curling Stone ?