Perhaps Some Good News for Steve and I??

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Perhaps Some Good News for Steve and I?? - 02/08/14 06:02 AM

Dayton Back On The Radar For an Apple Store
FEBRUARY 7, 2014

Apple enthusiasts living in Dayton (Ohio) have felt lonely for the past 13 years without a retail store, and downright sad as rumors of a possible store have come and gone. Now, there may be sunshine on the horizon after a black construction barricade has appeared at The Greene shopping mall, and a tipser reveals that several retailers have been relocated to create a prime space, both Apple trademarks. The first Dayton store rumors surfaced in 2004 and centered on the Dayton Mall, then undergoing an expansion. Two years later The Greene opened, and once again rumors arose about an Apple presence. In the meantime, Apple product users have had to travel to the Kenwood Towne Centre (Cincinnati, 45 minutes) or Easton Town Center (Columbus, 1:17) stores for products or service. The Greene is just 10 miles southeast of downtown Dayton along I-675 the the suburb of Beavercreek. If construction is underway now behind the barricade, the Apple store could open this fall.

Story
Posted by: steveg

Re: Perhaps Some Good News for Steve and I?? - 02/08/14 06:33 AM

Y'know, I don't think I've ever made purchase at an Apple Store. Not in Manhattan, not in Boston, not in Boca, not in Cincinnati…

In NYC, most of my Apple stuff was bought at TekServe (of course it helped that I lived next door on W23 St. and the owner was my upstairs neighbor). *waves hello to Dick* My Mini and external SuperDrive came from Best Buy a couple of years ago, and my MBP from Amazon.

It'll be nice to have one nearby if it happens — but to be perfectly honest, I f'n hate The Greene. Way too snobby for me. tongue

Mea culpa. Next time I'll hand out the umbrellas before I bring the rain. laugh
Posted by: DLC

Re: Perhaps Some Good News for Steve and I?? - 02/08/14 07:11 AM

We have a store here in Tyler that called Simply Mac... VERY close to an Apple store... knowledgeable people... but like the Apple Store , don't look for discounts ! BUT I'm glad it's here !! grin

Even do training !!! (not One to One though) .
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Perhaps Some Good News for Steve and I?? - 02/08/14 07:15 AM

I am there with you on both items! I have only purchased my Apple stuff online since my G3 desktop when there was old time Apple seller in town. It would be handy for warranty repairs as I have to ship stuff off.

I do not care for the Greene either...it never fails if I am on a date or am meeting someone, they want to go there...yech. Perhaps it is the male-female difference in the shopping gene.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Perhaps Some Good News for Steve and I?? - 02/08/14 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Mea culpa. Next time I'll hand out the umbrellas before I bring the rain. laugh

You mean lightning rods don't cha ?? laugh
Posted by: steveg

Re: Perhaps Some Good News for Steve and I?? - 02/08/14 07:24 AM

Quote:
Perhaps it is the male-female difference in the shopping gene.
Dude, I was born without that gene altogether! You'd think that would make me eligible for a handicapped plate — y'know, so I could park closer to the stores I don't shop at. whistle
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Perhaps Some Good News for Steve and I?? - 02/08/14 01:38 PM

The only reason I've walked into an Apple Store in the last several years is to see a new product, such as the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, etc., before purchasing it online. Even then, I was already at the mall in question – otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way.

They're too crowded, the floor workers are about the most uninformed (and in some cases completely ignorant) about what you can do with their own products, and it takes too damn long to buy anything. They think they're being friendly and helpful by asking 173 questions about me, my work, and how I use the product I'm buying. I appreciate the effort, but I would rather get in and get out as quickly as possible. As it is I had to wait 10 minutes for someone to be free to help me.

This has been my experience in every Apple Store I've been in (all the Arizona stores, one in SF, and one in Portland). When they first opened, I loved them. But now that it's more or less just an iOS store, there's little reason for me to see if things have changed over the years.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Perhaps Some Good News for Steve and I?? - 02/08/14 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot
I am there with you on both items! I have only purchased my Apple stuff online since my G3 desktop when there was old time Apple seller in town. It would be handy for warranty repairs as I have to ship stuff off.

I do not care for the Greene either...it never fails if I am on a date or am meeting someone, they want to go there...yech. Perhaps it is the male-female difference in the shopping gene.

Same here..
I go there to check out the new products
then run home and buy it on line.
They're totally cool with that... they know
their true function lies in being a high-end
demo facility for perspective switchers & such.

Shopping Gene: 'The "GATHERER" Half' of
any successful Hunter/Gatherer partnership.

Men find and kill the prey and drag it home.

Women have to search for the correct plants
that can only be gathered at the correct stage
of it's life cycle to be useful or edible.

She has to find it, remember where it grows,
know when & where to find it again months
(often YEARS) later...PLUS how to prepare it
as Food, medicine, fiber for clothing etc.

Yup, it's a separate and very useful "Gene"
(skill-set) ...viva la differance! grin
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Perhaps Some Good News for Steve and I?? - 02/08/14 07:41 PM

I got my original iPad at . . . Target. I went everywhere in my area first, including a little Mac-oriented store called Double Click Computers. Not a single solitary iPad anywhere. Otherwise I buy from the mothership.

Oh--and I paid cash for that iPad, so no fear with the targeting of Target. smile