ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Posted by: steveg

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/14/14 12:43 PM

So Jim just left a few minutes ago. He dropped by to install the SSD in my Mini. Lunch took longer than the install. But OH BABY is this thing fast now! A cold boot used to take a minute and 18 seconds to get the dock. Then waiting for Adobe CC and CrashPlan to load in the menu bar brought it to 2 min, 23 sec. Now, 18 sec to dock and 22 'til CC and CP load! InDesign is down from 53 sec to 10, and Word from just over 8 sec to 2!

What. An. Amazing. Diffy! 10Q, Jim! smile
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/14/14 02:33 PM

Welcome to the 21st century! wink
Posted by: DLC

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/14/14 02:39 PM

Totally agree!! My MacBook Pro flies w SSD!! Makes my iMac look s l o w !! eek
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/14/14 02:47 PM

Looks like when replacement time comes, I'll have to go with a Mini with the SSD already installed.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/14/14 03:31 PM

Glad to help, take your money, and eat your food. grin

It is an amazing difference. I can recommend it to anyone wanting to boost their speed many times over without having to get a new computer. cool

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/14/14 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Looks like when replacement time comes, I'll have to go with a Mini with the SSD already installed.
Maybe when you're ready to buy it will be different, but as of now the low end mini doesn't offer an SSD option, and the next step up is $200 more, plus $200 for the SSD.

You can find the 240G OWC SSD for $139 and put that into the low end mini. That would be $739 BYO vs $999 prebuilt. Plus you have a 2.5" drive left over that you can stick in a cheapie USB powered case for a backup drive. cool

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/14/14 03:50 PM

That would be an option, too. Do the newer Minis open up pretty much like my current one?
Posted by: garyW

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/14/14 06:03 PM

What would you recommend for a ssd drive for MacPro4,1 (2009)?

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/14/14 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
That would be an option, too. Do the newer Minis open up pretty much like my current one?
Easier.

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/14/14 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: garyW
What would you recommend for a ssd drive for MacPro4,1 (2009)?
You'll need one of these first.

The Crucial M500 SATA series is a good bang for the buck. You can get a 240G on Amazon for $149.

OWC sells slightly faster ones in their Mercury Extreme line, but for twice the price. It isn't worth the difference IMO, especially since going from an HDD to an SSD is such a big jump anyway.

Plus your MacPro has a SATA II bus with a maximum burst rate of 300 MB/s. The newer Macs have SATA III, 600 MB/s. The M500 series is something like 500MB/s read and 400 write.

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/14/14 10:16 PM

Thanks! I put my planned purchase of a new iMac on hold for a while, this will breathe new life into my MacPro. Think I'll use the 480GB for $290.

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/15/14 02:32 AM

Yeah, but you ate my money and took my food! cry

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/15/14 02:39 AM

I went with the 240 gig (half the capacity of the old drive) — which is a non-issue because I'm using just a bit over 56 gigs of space. I have virtually no movie or music collections (my iTunes library is less than 4 gigs), and once projects are completed, they're deleted from the drive because btwn Time Machine/external drive and CrashPlan, it's all backed up and available if needed.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/15/14 04:10 AM

Maybe you can replace my 2008 iMac with one? laugh

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/15/14 05:20 AM

Ahhhh, okay, that explains a lot. I thought the salad was a little chewy, but didn't want to say anything. It also explains the greasy mess in my wallet.

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/15/14 06:21 AM

Can dress youse up, but can't take youse nowheres! smirk

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/15/14 07:48 AM

That is somewhat easier than prying the case open. laugh

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/15/14 08:23 AM

We shot video of Jim doing mine yesterday. It'll air on Comedy Central next month! grin

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/15/14 08:32 AM

Did he bring a kid along with tiny fingers, or are his hands really small? grin

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/15/14 08:37 AM

Hands? What hands? confused

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/15/14 08:50 AM

You're killing me Smalls. tongue

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/15/14 09:12 AM

Then hope come you're still breathing', eh, Biggie? grin
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/16/14 04:07 AM

Congrats! I really bought into Apple's marketing bullish!t about FusionDrive, and that's exactly what it is, complete bullish!t.

It seemed fast on an iMac I got in the beginning of 2013, but I quickly began to feel disappointed with it compared to a 3 year old MB Air. Flash forward to now and I'm running a new iMac with a pure 500GB SSD and am MUCH happier.

I was concerned with the life expectancy of SSD drives, but it appears that all computers are going this direction rather quickly, so there soon won't be a whole lot of choice in the matter.

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/16/14 06:38 AM

Yeah, the Fusion drive is a waste of money. The computer boots faster and some OS related tasks may be faster, but the majority of your data is still being accessed from the platters. The SSD part is too small to be of any major benefit except for booting up.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/20/14 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I went with the 240 gig (half the capacity of the old drive) — which is a non-issue because I'm using just a bit over 56 gigs of space. I have virtually no movie or music collections (my iTunes library is less than 4 gigs), and once projects are completed, they're deleted from the drive because btwn Time Machine/external drive and CrashPlan, it's all backed up and available if needed.

OK... going to hold off on new Mac Pro for now. Extending life of this one by adding in the same SSD on mine.

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/20/14 11:00 AM

Youse will be a berry happy mans. grin

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/20/14 11:09 AM

I am not sure what to do. My 2009 MacPro needs an upgrade and the SSD will do the trick and is not that expensive. A serious problem is my 30" Cinema Display is really showing it's age with uneven brightness and some blotchiness, that's why I had decided on switching to the 27" iMac. Maybe I should just procrastinate a few more months and see if new iMacs are in the pipeline ….

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/20/14 11:35 AM

I hear ProActiv is pretty good for blotches and dark spots. grin

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/20/14 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: garyW
I am not sure what to do. My 2009 MacPro needs an upgrade and the SSD will do the trick and is not that expensive. A serious problem is my 30" Cinema Display is really showing it's age with uneven brightness and some blotchiness, that's why I had decided on switching to the 27" iMac. Maybe I should just procrastinate a few more months and see if new iMacs are in the pipeline ….

What about some new bulbs? I've opened one an Apple display several times... not that hard.
Although I never replaced bulbs...

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/20/14 11:55 AM

If anyone would know about a dim bulb… wink

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/20/14 12:13 PM

Then it must still be dim...cuz I don't change bulbs... or do Winders.

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/20/14 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Then it must still be dim…cuz I don't change bulbs… or do Winders.
I do Winders, unfortunately, and they piss me off on a regular basis. smirk

It's money, what can I say.

Re: ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! - 01/20/14 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
What about some new bulbs? I've opened one an Apple display several times... not that hard. Although I never replaced bulbs...

No way, I think the blotches are burn-in and even ProActiv won't help. The 27" displays are so much sharper …. I'll want something new to last the next 5 years.