Brrrrrrrr!!

Posted by: Mike

Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/05/14 06:45 AM

This is crazy!
Yesterday (Saturday) it was 40 F, and this coming Monday the day's 'High' will be 3 degrees below Zero.
In addition we're getting 'plastered' with maybe a foot of snow.
As much as I like a bit of snow, 3 below Zero just ain't no fun! mad
How cold will your neighborhood be on Monday?
Posted by: steveg

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/05/14 06:59 AM

Mid-30's here today with rain/snow mix in the forecast. Sub-zero (before windchill) tomorrow, and mid-40s by week's end. crazy Consistency is over-rated. wink
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/05/14 07:58 AM

Weather Extremes Tied to Jet Stream Changes
Posted by: Papa

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/05/14 09:25 AM

Fourteen degrees here. Supposed to be a high of 3 degrees tomorrow with a wind chill of -28. For the last several hours the weather service says we are having freezing fog. I just finished shoveling 8 to 10 inches of freezing fog off my driveway.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/05/14 09:36 AM

We're at 22 now, with freezing rain falling. Not a good time to be driving!
Posted by: DLC

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/05/14 12:26 PM

IF he were still around -I'd blame it all on the Hippy Dippy Weatherman !! grin
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/05/14 02:45 PM

Toooo cold here, wind blowing hard, my building is strong but the wind is blowing right thru it, near 0 for the high tomorrow
Posted by: SleeveTugger

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 01:38 AM

It's currently -15 and the windchill is in the -45 range.
I am not looking forward to starting the car for work in a short while. Most put in for the day off due to the cold, or kids home with school closed. Wish I didn't have to leave the house today.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 02:13 AM

That is the disadvantage living in cold weather states where you freeze to death. You can keep it.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 02:33 AM

5 above right now, but that's down 3 from an hour ago. And the forecast for the Dayton area, according to the local paper, is -20 overnight, with a windchill as low as -40! eek And yet, mid-high 40's over the coming weekend. crazy

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 05:19 AM

Yowsa it's now -2 and falling. That's a 10 degree drop in a/b 3.5 hours! I don't wanna see my 'lectric bill at the end of this month. cry

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 07:30 AM

We're at a balmy 51 right now. It rained all of last night, and that has washed away all of the snow from last week. The ice is all melted. It's now not raining so things are beginning to dry out. When it falls to below zero we may--may--be ok!
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 07:50 AM

-18 FEELS LIKE -45F at present. frown

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 07:59 AM

28 minutes later and it's now 41. Oh-oh!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 08:02 AM

I actually swam in our outdoor , above-ground, unheated pool yesterday with my daughter... for about 20 minutes. Was pretty cold... but not unbearable.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 08:38 AM

A bone chilling 'minus 5 F' this morning around 5:30 AM.
Now the sun is shining full force and it's 'minus 8'?? This is nuts!! crazy The thermometer is going in the wrong direction!
And that's going to be the 'High' for the day!
I need someone to shovel the snow: eleven inch of the white stuff.
Drifts as high as four feet on the interstates.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 08:40 AM

6 below and -20 still expected tonight. Lucky me, I have to press-check a job late this afternoon and then drive down to Cincinnati tomorrow to deliver it. Just because I'm accustomed to cold weather doesn't mean I like it and this ain't the stuff I'd be running around in if I had a choice. cry
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 08:54 AM

Subject: : A North Dakota Weather Report -to the point!
>
>
> Native American Indian weather broadcast straight off of a reservation
TV station in North Dakota:
> Finally, a weather report that doesn't take 10 minutes to explain with
multiple graphics and words that you have no clue as to what they mean.
This is direct and to the point! No Global Warming Here!

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 09:18 AM

LOL. I just received an email an hour ago with that. Small world isn't it? smile
Posted by: garyW

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 09:19 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I actually swam in our outdoor , above-ground, unheated pool yesterday with my daughter... for about 20 minutes. Was pretty cold... but not unbearable.

Yes, I suck.
Click to reveal..
temps here in Palm Springs have been mid-70s and bright & sunny. Pool is 82 and spa is 105 spent the weekend outside enjoying all of it. This is why snowbirds (Canadians and mid-westerners) flock here for the "season".

Many of the trees are beginning to bloom . this is crazy.

succulents in the garden are happy

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 09:28 AM

laugh

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 09:29 AM

Yes you do suck. :-P
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 09:30 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
6 below and -20 still expected tonight. Lucky me, I have to press-check a job late this afternoon and then drive down to Cincinnati tomorrow to deliver it. Just because I'm accustomed to cold weather doesn't mean I like it and this ain't the stuff I'd be running around in if I had a choice. cry

Wow...quite balmy in the South smile

Wind chill is already near 40 below my way...forgot to take the flag down as the west winds are quite strong right now...pole bends a bit when gusts get close to 50.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By: garyW
Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

Yes, I suck.
Click to reveal..
temps here in Palm Springs have been mid-70s and bright & sunny. Pool is 82 and spa is 105 spent the weekend outside enjoying all of it. This is why snowbirds (Canadians) flock here for the "season".

Many of the trees are beginning to bloom . this is crazy.

succulents in garden are happy

LOL. yeah.. I need to mow the lawn now that the Christmas decorations are put away.
The pool would have been a bit warmer but we had cloudy/rainy weather for 3 DAYS STRAIGHT!
Unbearable.
I bought 3 large wire frame decorations from Home depot after Christmas for 40% off the original price, but they were displays with no box. So i didn't want to break them down, not to mention that HD had zip tied them together for good measure. So in one shed the roof is pitched and about 11 foot. I hammered in some nails and used some wire to hang them from the roof rafters. Then I wired them up so that when you enter the shed and turn on the fluorescents... the Xmas lights come on too! My daughter loved it.

Just got a call from the shop and the jet ski is being repaired... 700+ dollars. I have always rode jet skis on the lake I live on... but this baby is going in the ocean. Maybe as soon as this weekend!

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 10:12 AM

You suck too.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 10:13 AM

Originally Posted By: garyW

Yes, I suck.

Self-knowledge is really important. smirk

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 10:26 AM

It's called suckcess. whistle

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 10:43 AM

How did you get the graphic in your pic?

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 10:45 AM

Time to throw an extra couple of cats on the bed. I had a couple sleeping with me this AM that normally don't. Heat seekers.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 11:04 AM

Well in honor of and to salute those sufferin' in frigid temps, Gary.....

have a nice "Cold one" !! laugh
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
How did you get the graphic in your pic?

InstaWeather iPhone app.

It is pretty neat to help keep track of weather. I use it on my trips too.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 12:36 PM

Couldn't get to work today...truck doors frozen shut, tooooooo cold to stand out in the parking lot and chip ice...not even 1 degree and it is mid afternoon. Store manager is running around picking up people to get them to work, told me to stay put...like I was going anywhere

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 01:04 PM

We're still above freezing. And all the wet stuff on the streets and sidewalks is evaporating. So I'm hoping there's no ice when we do the plummet.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 01:40 PM

Last night it was 9 below here in Iola ks. Mid teens above now.

Pretty chilly

Dave

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 02:31 PM

For those of you that FaceBook...

Sry.. I couldn't find it in 5 minutes of looking on the net.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=716915474985434

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/06/14 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Time to throw an extra couple of cats on the bed. I had a couple sleeping with me this AM that normally don't. Heat seekers.

3 Cat Nite whistle

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/07/14 03:09 AM

Hahaha! That's very much to the point! And very accurate! laugh

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/07/14 05:07 AM

How cold is it? This morning as I started to make my bed, I found the mattress was stuck to the wall! shocked Evidently moisture and cold air found its way into the partition between my condo and the unit next door, and there's a band of frost the entire width of my bed along the wall behind the mattress.

The property manager is not gonna be happy to see me this morning, because this is a structural issue related to the building not my unit which means any repairs are on the HOA's dime. mad

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/07/14 05:59 AM

My interior walls are cinder block...floors tile, you really dont want to touch the walls, and socks are almost required to walk around

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/07/14 07:01 AM

The electronic locks were frozen shut on the windy
side of the car this morning, requiring Ted to
enter from the passenger side, climb over the console
and run the engine until enough heat was generated
to allow the rest of the locks (and windows) to open.

GOD HELP THE HOMELESS frown

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/07/14 07:13 AM

Still 2 at 10:30.
Posted by: SleeveTugger

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/08/14 03:08 AM

The extreme cold hangs on here. I complain when I shouldn't as others brave this weather trying to bring resolve to a tragic accident here early Sunday morning. Four young people in an SUV failed to navigate a turn crashing through a guardrail and plunged into the Mississippi River. Three bodies have been recovered while the search goes on for the fourth. Bless the souls of the search team for their efforts. My heart aches for all the families affected by this tragedy.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/08/14 05:01 AM

Ice dam, dammit! mad Not uncommon when it's this cold for this long. Doesn't matter how clean the gutters are, or how new or snug the flashing is. Water is gonna get backed up and sneak into all kinds of spaces. In my case, the mattress and pillows against the wall actually wicked moisture right through the drywall!

Fortunately, it seems the back of this cold snap has been broken. It's up to 10 and expected to get into the high 20s later today. So no inside frost this morning, and the maintenance crew will asses and repair as needed in a couple of weeks.

The winter of '95-6 in Boston delivered prolonged periods of extreme cold, and I had to contend with ice dams while my house was on the market! eek There were a half dozen times when I had to cancel showings or open house days because I had water trickling down walls and windows in plain site. shocked

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/08/14 08:54 AM

We're all the way up to 17. Balmy!

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/08/14 11:56 AM

23 here. I walked out to the car with coat and sweater hanging open. A few weeks ago I would have had it all zipped up. It's all relative.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/08/14 12:05 PM

Almost had to get out a windbreaker this morning... Brrr.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/08/14 12:06 PM

On another note.. the freeze is expected to break on Friday... you might wanna turn of the water main and open all faucets a bit to avoid any broken pipes.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/08/14 12:33 PM

25 in Dayton. It would be beach weather if we had beaches here. cry Even my windshield washers un-froze today!
Posted by: Papa

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/08/14 02:56 PM

I listened to an interview with a woman from Fairbanks, Alaska on NPR today. She said the children at day care go outside at recess unless the temperature gets below -20. They were in the middle of a heat wave at 5 degrees.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/08/14 04:56 PM

Just got off the phone with a friend who lives in North Dakota.

She said that since early this morning the snow has been nearly waist high and is still falling. The temperature is 32 below zero and the north wind is increasing to near gale force. Wind chill is -59. Her husband has done nothing but look through the kitchen window and just stare.

She says that if it gets much worse, she may have to let the drunken bastard in.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/08/14 05:47 PM

Nuke - LOL laugh

We had a dog that was left outside freeze to death in Longview... the owner faces jail time and a $4000 fine !! eek wow !! that's tough... don't know if it was intentional or negligence... doesn't matter ! I know that's a bad deed, but what if it were accidental ? eek
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/09/14 02:18 AM

That is a dam shame the way that dog died.I hope for the owners sake is was not intentional and just a accident.Horrible way for a dog or anyone to die like that.

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/09/14 06:06 AM

That's what I'm hoping too ! But he has to go to court and hope that he finds mercy.

I'm thinking -Kee-rist even if you don't want them in the house, you can at least let them in the garage !! Might be cold but not freezing there !! Give them blankets, old rugs etc ! mad

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/10/14 02:42 AM

Crazy indeed! We got another inch or two of snow last night, and for the next few days temps will be in the mid-40s! confused

Re: Brrrrrrrr!! - 01/10/14 04:04 AM

Getting my jet ski out of the shop tomorrow and taking it for a spin in the ocean! BrrRRRrr!