Fake TV shows

Posted by: MrB

Fake TV shows - 01/03/14 09:39 PM

I decided to start another thread as the other one became one of personal attacks.
This is about TV shows.

I recall an incident years ago on a locally produced fishing show that run on KOAM yv for a few years in the early '60's. "Gone fishing" with Harold Ensley. It aired on Sunday evening for 30 minutes. Typical format, Harold would Narrate his adventures of fishing on local lakes in the Ozark area. We would see him fishing, esplaining his gear and lures or bait then see him reel in the fish.

My roommate in college came back from a weekend explaining that he had caught a great fish during the weekend and that Ensley was there also but had bad luck so he had come over and bought my friens fish. The next week or so there on TV was Harold Ensley explaining in detail how he had caught ths great fish. My friends fish. Actually saw him pull this fish in out of the lake.
So creating and producing a show takes precedence over being truthful.

The TV show is no more accurate than the ads that support the show. When we see this person complaining about a back ache and that Alleve relieves her pain. Do we actually believe this. Of course not. So why should we believe that in the program "storage wars" that these people are really bidding on these units not knowing what's in them or two guys "stranded" in afrika in a survival situation are really in danger from lion attack. Of course not. The camera crew and production team would discourage any such apconcern.

Pawn stars are not really buying that object the "customer" brings in.

I don't watch the Duck Dynasty but what ever they do is scripted to some degree, without doubt.

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/03/14 10:13 PM

It does not matter whether the Duck show or any reality show is real or skripted, really, does it?

If millions of people watch it, they sell very expensive ad space and no one really gives a rip!

One chooses to watch the show, or not watch the show.

Posted by: steveg

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/04/14 02:56 AM

What Kate said. It's all EN-TER-TAIN-MENT, Dave. A profit center. A revenue stream. Period. The descriptor "Reality Show" is just a way to differentiate such programming from categories like drama, news, comedy, documentary, etc.

Reality is what happens in real time and in meatspace. The moment you capture anything on film, tape, canvas, digital media, or even your own memory, it becomes a copy. No longer the original, and therefore no longer real.

Do yourself a favor and stop looking for reality or even truth, for that matter in any of this crap. I guarantee you better sleep and probably more enjoyment while watching. wink
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/04/14 04:24 AM

My dad always called the TV an "idiot box" and I tend to agree with him.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/04/14 07:33 AM

A friend of mine calls it "The Suggestion Box"
(I assume because it prevents one from thinking for oneself)

I tend to agree with that as well.

When he stated that he NEVER watches it, I was
incredulous... "You mean You Don't Have A TV?!?" shocked

He said, "Sure I have one!" grin ...opening his closet...
Sure enough, there it was, laying on it's side and unplugged.

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/04/14 07:57 AM

On the Other Hand..."Reality" can be a HooT!

One of the FUNNIEST Things I'd ever seen ((ONCE))
was "Sarah Palin's ALASKA" ("A-lass-kar" wink )

SOME Genie-Arse thought it was a GREAT IDEA to
Sell Sista' Sarah to the Voting Public via a
"REALITY SHOW" LOLOLOLOL

Ooopsey...
Easy to see Why They NEED-TO-BE SCRIPTED! grin

There was "Mamma 'Grisly'" ... running from one... laugh
(See Sarah run. RUN, SARAH, RUN!)

..or MRS. Al-ass-kar ..roped between two guys,
slipping 'n' sliding all over a REAL Life GLACIER...
The two guys desperately trying to prevent her from
slipping down a crevasse LOL (Opps she's down again!)

Or MS. Todd Palin helpfully fumbling a REAL Salmon
tossed to her on shore (who knew they were REALLY
That BIG??) as it slammed into her chest and
sent her sprawling in the mud. ("CUT!!!" cry )
Posted by: DLC

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/04/14 10:17 AM

That's the way I see Fox News... fantasy passed off as reality !! laugh
Posted by: Lea

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/04/14 05:04 PM

So this means . . . shocked . . . Max Headroom wasn't real?

I feel like I've lost my innocence AND reclaimed major territory in No More Nightmare Land.

PS: I'm not poking fun at you, Mr. B. I'd sledgehammer my keyboard before I'd ever do such a thing. I trust you know that.

smile
LL
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/04/14 05:45 PM

The problem is the gullible accept these shows as absolute truth.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/04/14 05:58 PM

Yes, I think most of us, if not all, realize these shows are scripted and fake.
Some really go overboard though.. with little reality attached to them.
That's what my thread was supposed to be about... some regular guys pretending to be total rednecks to the extent of wearing fake beards and putting on "disguises".. or whatever you would call it. . (whether that's true or not is anyones guess).

You can tell when the answers are so canned and prepared.
Pawn Stars uses items that were actually brought into other stores. Like a rare gun... who would bring a valuable item into a pawn shop? These items are brought into local stores which have struck a deal for the owner of the item to bring it into Pawn Stars shop and then pretend to have to call "an expert". The expert gets his company name mentioned periodically and his mug on tv.

Yes.. they are fake.

When you watch Storage Wars.. how come the best items are always hidden in the back? And also usually covered with a tarp.

And so on....

But hey... That's entertainment!

I don't have an issue with some scripting and guidance of the show.. it has to have continuity and be kept interesting... but not to the point where the main characters are caricatures of themselves. Heck, then I'd rather just watch All in the Family reruns. smile
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/04/14 06:34 PM

Candid Camera.
When they would show "old people", my friends would say it's fake.
When they would show "young people", my friends would say it's true.
We are all gullible.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/04/14 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Candid Camera.
When they would show "old people", my friends would say it's fake.
When they would show "young people", my friends would say it's true.
We are all gullible.

OMG !! you mean candid camera wasn't REAL ?? eek
Damm !! . . . first Santa CLaus, then the Easter Bunny and now Candid Camera !! cry

laugh

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/04/14 09:47 PM

But that's the point. Everything on TV is there to sell a product. I mean everything. Even the news . Even the precious comments saud by your and my favorite political news heads.

Sarah Palin was mentioned as a show that should have been scripted. Well, it was . Of course it was. Even the sports shows are scripted.

But the problem lies in that the viewers don't realize it. And, worse, the producers want their viewers to believe its real.

Dave
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/05/14 02:18 AM

I have never heard of it until all this news started to happen about Robertson talking against the gay community.

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/05/14 05:34 AM

Well.. everyone is selling something. Everyone.

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/05/14 06:56 AM

cry SAY IT AIN'T SO! cry

...even Sarah's AL-ASS-KER was BS!?! shocked

Looks like Polimerase was RIGHT...
...There IS No God.
frown

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/05/14 08:32 AM

There are differences in some of the realty shows.

I rather enjoy the show that's in Alaska , featuring the Kitcher family in Alaska. Jewel Kitchers family. It's about this extended family living in the wilds of Alaska. I find it interesting on two accounts. First they are rural folks creating a living by farming and hunting . They have to deal with survival issues as the weather can be severe so mistakes may not ve just inconvenient but could be fatal.
There's a production crew following them around, but the talk directly into the camera often to explain things. It's obvious that extra angst is thrown in by way of unnecessary timelines. But it's fun to watch. For the mist part they aren't being stupid.

In contrast, there is the survival series staring Bear Gryls in Man vs Wild with his parachuting into an area for him to work his way out of. He goes through perils trying to survive. Most of the time we see him double timing through the rough wasting calories. This show is completely contrived. Completely. He isn't surviving at all

In fact it's said he doesn't even stay in the wild but is transported to different areas to illustrate each activity he is put upon. He may be presented with a Clift that he must descend so he accomplishes thus with camera crews showing different angles then he runs off. Actually he is picked up by a Hellocopter to bed down back at the hotel then the next morning back to another area wher he may be faced with building a makeshift shelter which he accomplishes then goes into for the night . In fact he may reconstruct a shelter that his crew had already built then taken apart for him. He doesn't actually stay in the shelter but goes back to the hotel for his evening .

So there is a difference

Dave
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/05/14 09:38 AM

Sarah needed to be scripted. When she wasn't (Katie Couric much?) the result was not pretty.

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/05/14 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Sarah needed to be scripted. When she wasn't (Katie Couric much?) the result was not pretty.

T'wern't Just MY Opinion...
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/05/14 07:27 PM

I will say that The First 48 on A&E is not scripted. My friend Kevin, when he was a homicide detective, was featured on it a couple of times.

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/06/14 02:29 AM

Just after 4:00 am central on the weather channel. Al was giving info about preparing for the cold off camera when the camera turned to a weather girl and him. It caught the girl not quite prepared as she was pulling down the hem of her skirt as the camera turned to them. Not sure that was scripted.

Dave

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/06/14 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Just after 4:00 am central on the weather channel. Al was giving info about preparing for the cold off camera when the camera turned to a weather girl and him. It caught the girl not quite prepared as she was pulling down the hem of her skirt as the camera turned to them. Not sure that was scripted.

Dave

Except by the horny cameraman. grin
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/06/14 05:20 PM

You mean to tell me that Jerry Springer, Steve Wilcos, Maury and Judge Judy are scripted?????..naw they are tooo real to be scripted

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/06/14 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
You mean to tell me that Jerry Springer, Steve Wilcos, Maury and Judge Judy are scripted?????..naw they are tooo real to be scripted

I've heard that Judy makes $25,000 per half journey episode. Her credentials are dubious . Her show is staged in LA but the flags in the courtroom reflect NY jurisdiction. The audience is paid to watch.

But hey, it's entertainment .

But I am a sceptic. I even suspect some members of this forum are scripted crazy

Not me of course. I can't read

Dave
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/06/14 06:44 PM

Quote:
I even suspect some members of this forum are scripted

I need a new writer.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Fake TV shows - 01/06/14 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
I need a new writer.
grin