Storm O' the Century

Posted by: steveg

Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 06:51 AM

Welllll… Not so much, really. But up to 4" of snow is predicted for the Dayton area — which is a lot for here. I've already got a/b 3-1/2" on the ground in my 'hood and it's coming down at a decent clip. Plus it's wet-ish, so it wants to be shoveled every couple of hours because a shovelful of wet snow is worth three of powder.

Will this be the year Dayton sees Winter instead of Wimpter? shocked
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 09:45 AM

Thanks for reminding me why I don't miss living in Ohio.

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 10:04 AM

Ohio? What's that? confused
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 10:25 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Welllll… Not so much, really. But up to 4" of snow is predicted for the Dayton area — which is a lot for here. I've already got a/b 3-1/2" on the ground in my 'hood and it's coming down at a decent clip. Plus it's wet-ish, so it wants to be shoveled every couple of hours because a shovelful of wet snow is worth three of powder.

Will this be the year Dayton sees Winter instead of Wimpter? shocked

I am getting a little more of the snow and wind up north of town. The big problem here, due to the farm fields, is the blowing snow. It does not take much for the roads to get icy at 30mph. It is always fun plowing my driveway in this wind!

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 11:07 AM

We have 2-3 so far is all, and it's cold enough here that it's fluffy, not stuffy. Was able to shovel with one hand mostly.

Making a comfy pot of ham and bean soup with the left overs and bone from the Christmas ham. should be a gas. smirk
Posted by: Nana

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 11:10 AM

This evening through Friday morning, we are expecting 7 inches. Temps -3 degrees with the wind chill factor in. shocked
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 02:08 PM

Good Soup Weather.
What kind of beans are you using?
White "Navy" Beans?
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
We have 2-3 so far is all, and it's cold enough here that it's fluffy, not stuffy. Was able to shovel with one hand mostly.

Making a comfy pot of ham and bean soup with the left overs and bone from the Christmas ham. should be a gas. smirk

Careful with that match, Eugene. smile

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 02:34 PM

I think we might get closer to 6", which would be HUGE for Dayton. It's still coming down and every time it looks like it's slowing, it gets a second wind. But it's down to 15° now, so what's falling is powdery and light.

We finished our kosher Christmas ham two days ago. And it made me gassy, too! blush
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

Careful with that match, Eugene. smile

. . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 05:45 PM

laugh

Yoyo's was hilarious, but you just pushed me over the edge. cool
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/02/14 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Celandine
Good Soup Weather.
What kind of beans are you using?
White "Navy" Beans?
I have great northern, those will do. I'm going to try that recipe, thx. I was looking for something different. It had everything I was going to add anyway except I'm including carrots, but that one also uses the diced tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce. I already boiled my ham bone so I'll use that stock.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/03/14 02:13 AM

Nice warm weather here and not humid at all.Screw the harsh winters back East.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/03/14 02:50 AM

You folks in the storm path, take heed.

It's cold here but in SE ks little snow. About 3 inches

Dave

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/03/14 03:28 AM

Looks like we got a/b 6" in my area, but MAN is it cold this AM. 1° with a -13° windchill. Spoke to Daughter #1 in Boston last night. It was just starting to snow at that time, but they're getting clobbered right now. She and hear hubby finally gave in and bought a snow blower ahead of the storm (she works at Home Depot, so the price was right).
Posted by: DLC

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/03/14 06:20 AM

All of you up there be careful . We're cold here - about 30 F. But that's a heat wave compared to you!! grin
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/03/14 07:50 AM

About 8 inches here, and cold. I hate winter. frown
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/03/14 08:26 AM

Weird.. it's 63º here in Ft Lauderdale.

But it's a cloudy 63º. wink
Posted by: MrB

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/03/14 09:07 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Weird.. it's 63º here in Ft Lauderdale.

But it's a cloudy 63º. wink

And the wind chill at 12mph makes it feel like, well, 63°
Dave
Posted by: Nana

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/03/14 10:57 AM

Where is Carp? confused
Posted by: DLC

Re: Storm O' the Century - 01/03/14 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Nana
Where is Carp? confused

probably suferin under 85 degree heat with clear skies and an ocean breeze !! mad

laugh