Another mini-boon from Time Warner?

Posted by: steveg

Another mini-boon from Time Warner? - 12/22/13 03:21 AM

So just a couple of weeks ago a billing inquiry resulted in expanded services for less money for the next year. Last night I discover that RoadRunner is now available @ 100mb speeds! Problem is, it's still only 5mb up. But they're offering a free Samsung Galaxy 3 tablet with the upgrade.

I personally have no desire and little use for a tablet (and if I did, it would be an iPad), but my daughter is a PC user, and recently broached the tablet subject a few times.

Methinks I'll call later today and see if this is a deal worth taking...
Posted by: DLC

Re: Another mini-boon from Time Warner? - 12/22/13 06:29 AM

Sounds like a no-brainer to me!!

Re: Another mini-boon from Time Warner? - 12/22/13 08:12 AM

Well, it depends on how much more per month the faster service will cost. There would be very little difference in browser performance btwn the 50 and 100 speeds down. It's more a/b bandwidth than speed — how many devices are tapping into the connection at once at any given time.

Generally, there are two iPhones and two computers always in use during the day. But there's a couple of Nintendo DSs, a Blue Ray player, the Wii, and a Kindle — all of which are WiFi-enabled — that suck up bandwidth when in use. And the tablet that comes with the deal adds another device. So, it depends on whether or not the extra bandwidth is really needed on a day-to-day basis.

If the upload speed was 10mb (like Comcast's Xfinity), it would be a no-brainer for me. But without that, it'll come down to $ and value added.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Another mini-boon from Time Warner? - 12/22/13 09:34 AM

I see your points, didn't realize you had so much demand on bandwidth. eek

....you....you.... Cyber hog!! laugh

Re: Another mini-boon from Time Warner? - 12/22/13 12:29 PM

LOL… I don't. That's why it's gonna come down to price/value. We don't use all that stuff all the time. Will find out more tomorrow. In the meantime, we went to Best Buy to look at the tablet, and it's a decent device. Of course Time Warner pegs it as a $199 value but BB is selling it for $149/$159 (black/white casing).

We'll see...
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Another mini-boon from Time Warner? - 12/22/13 03:52 PM

LOL. You kill me. I know what you do, what you use it for, and where you live. grin

If you can really even see a difference between 30 and 50 I'm thinking it's a placebo effect. The difference is the 5M upload.

The 100M is a waste for 99% of the people, it's a marketing ploy. Now if you had all of the devices you listed accessing the internet at once at full tilt it on a regular basis, 100M may come in handy. For what you do you don't even stress a 30M connection 99% of the time.

Unless it's $5 a month or something, save the extra monthly charge, get an iPad mini, and your daughter will have a much better tablet and experience. It will sync up wither PC just fine BTW.

Re: Another mini-boon from Time Warner? - 12/22/13 06:42 PM

LOL yo' butt, bubbah. You didn't read what I posted. grin

I already presented the same arguments, which is why I want to see what the price diffy is before I bite. I know the "speed" has to do with bandwidth and usage, and that the 10 up would be the real differentiator. But if it is cheap enough, and there's a free tablet for my kid, why not?

Smart guy… >:P

Re: Another mini-boon from Time Warner? - 12/23/13 08:55 AM

Nebbermind. Not available in my market yet. If they had made that clear on the My Account page it would've saved me a bunch of time — and this whole dang thread! crazy
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Another mini-boon from Time Warner? - 12/23/13 09:05 AM

Entertainment is priceless!
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Another mini-boon from Time Warner? - 12/26/13 01:17 AM

I watched a special about Ted Turner a day or two ago. He really got screwed in that merger with AOL Time Warner. He wasn't starving at the end or anything, but he really did get screwed.