Touchscreen computers

Posted by: yoyo52

Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 07:25 AM

I started a thread over on FB about what I think is the uselessness of touchscreen computers. One person I know, who is an artists, said that she loved the one time she uses a touchscreen, and would think of changing from Mac to Windows if Apple doesn't begin to produce touchscreen machines.

So since so many folks here are into graphic arts in one way or another, what do you all think? Would you like to have touch screens available on a Mac? Do you think it would make doing art easier, better, more versatile for you?
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 08:31 AM

I use my iPad to do some edits on my photos, but the one biggest complaint I have regarding touch screens is that they seem to collect fingerprints really easy and having to wipe the screen with a piece of cloth is a PITA.

Once they improve the glass so that it truly is fingerprint resistant, I would think that touch screens would be more acceptable.

Also, fingers aren't the best for fine tuning something...a stylus would be better.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 08:49 AM

I wouldn't mind having one of these! cool
Cintiq

Looks like they have them with Windows 8 or Android installed.
Smart move, Wacom.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 09:29 AM

A stylus and pad provide the same tactile and motor experiences, and with more accuracy than your fingers on the screen. But what the artist has to acclimate him/herself to is the physical disconnection btwn what your hand is doing and what's happening on the screen.

There good news is that you can't do sculpture on a computer. Gawd — can you imagine what a hammer and chisel or scraper might do to your screen! eek laugh

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 11:41 AM

On tablets and smartphones a touchscreen makes sense. For what I do on a computer (absolutely not an artist, I'm sorry to say) a touchscreen is just silly. In fact, I spend a lot of time figuring out a way not to have to move my hands from the keyboard!
Posted by: steveg

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 11:45 AM

Crazy Glue®.

'Welcome.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 12:43 PM

I totally agree!
Posted by: DLC

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 12:44 PM

I totally agree!
Posted by: Nana

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 12:51 PM

shocked
Posted by: MrB

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 02:23 PM

Yep. A tablet is a tablet but it can't replace a computer in many respects.

Dave
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 03:13 PM

We have touch screens on our Windows machines at work, but nobody there uses that feature. We all use the mouse.

In my job, the touch screen seems to be a bother. Checking long strings of numbers for accuracy is one, where I used to put a finger on the screen and another on a paper document to make sure I'd entered it correctly on the computer. Doing that with the touch screen brings unwanted results.

I must say my experience with touch screens is limited. No smart phone, and Mrs. Stumpy and I just bought the entry-level iPad mini, which we are slowly learning but largely stumbling our way to knowledge. blush
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
On tablets and smartphones a touchscreen makes sense. For what I do on a computer (absolutely not an artist, I'm sorry to say) a touchscreen is just silly. In fact, I spend a lot of time figuring out a way not to have to move my hands from the keyboard!
Same here. They will be the right match for some things, but as a mainstream home desktop thing, no, for a number of reasons.

A tablet is portable and meant to be held in your hand, on your lap, or right under you on the table so the touchscreen is convenient. A monitor with a touchscreen is 12 to 18 inches away, a long reach IMO. A lot of excess arm movement. I mean it's really neat technology, it would be handy in a horizontal enclosure for specialized situations, but IMO for wide use in desktop systems not really functional.

Which is probably why Apple really hasn't done anything with it, yet Windows put it into 8. smirk

Then again I could be like the guy that said the iPod would never take off. laugh

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 05:14 PM

It works well on the Enterprise.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 05:59 PM

Uhh, that wasn't real Al.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 06:01 PM

Then there is SIRI . Seems like every time I ask her to do something she says, "I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that"

Also, I swear I can hear her chuckle in the background cry

Dave

Re: Touchscreen computers - 12/20/13 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Uhh, that wasn't real Al.

Say it ain't so!