Rest in Lawrence

Posted by: KateSorensen

Rest in Lawrence - 12/15/13 11:53 AM

Posted by: steveg

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/15/13 11:54 AM

Bummer. frown Just watched Lawrence of Arabia again last week.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/15/13 12:16 PM

THAT is my ALL time favorite film. Affected me greatly as a teen when I saw it in 1963.
Damm.... RIP Peter... you gave us a masterpiece !!

SO many other great actors and lines in the film.
From Alec Guinness (named the beer after him didn't they?)
Anthony Quinn
Claude Raines
Omar Sharif (his debut in western films)
Anthony Quayle

this is very sad news to me ! frown
Bet this is one movie they'll never remake.. .would be a flop if they tried.

Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/15/13 01:54 PM

Aw man, one of may favorite actors. I got to briefly meet him once during a book-signing for the first part of his memoirs -- the dude just had a stunning presence, and I still remember the look he gave my girlfriend at the time. She had trouble keeping her balance for a second or two, and hell, I almost swooned, too ;-) And that was just a look, a mere glance. But man! Afterwards, we both looked at each other and just went "wow!" Really the only person I've ever seen in real life that was just magnetic.

Can't really feel bad at his passing, though, since he certainly led a full, long and interesting life.

RIP, Peter! Now you can get back to drinking =)
Posted by: Nana

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/15/13 05:07 PM

Me too! Don't fret, AMC & TCM will be in combat with each other as to who will show Lawrence of Arabia repeats for all of this next.

R.I.P.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/15/13 05:26 PM

My Favorite Year.
One of my favorite actors.
Also had one of the few double phallic names.
Respect.
RIP.

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/15/13 06:03 PM

Becket
The Lion in Winter

as they said about the real TE Lawrence, "I don't think we'll see his likes again!"
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/15/13 06:07 PM

The bluest eyes I've ever seen.
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/15/13 07:06 PM

An interesting side note is that the movie probably would not have never of happened if it was not for this local guy for me and kind of SteveG that made Lawrence famous.

In the movie, his name was not used but if you recall the reporter in the movie, it is arguably him.

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/16/13 02:25 AM

Eh? confused

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/16/13 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Eh? confused

Lowell Thomas is the one that brought Lawrence of Arabia's exploits to light in both film and a book.

He was born in Darke County, OH. He was pretty much a jack of all trades but those 60+ probably remember him for his news broadcasts.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/16/13 06:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot
Originally Posted By: steveg
Eh? confused

He was pretty much a jack of all trades but those 60+ probably remember him for his news broadcasts.

I remember him. Interesting link you provided. Thanks.

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/16/13 06:52 AM

Here is Thomas's childhood home at the Garst Musuem:

The Garst Musuem in Greenville, OH has quite a few Lawrence related artifacts from Thomas including the Turk's surrender flag of Jerusalem in WWI and other Thomas related items.

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/16/13 07:41 AM

Ah… Local history is not often on my radar.

Re: Rest in Lawrence - 12/16/13 01:39 PM

Well Lowell made him famous in the newspapers, BUT Lawrence wrote several books- The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Revolt in the Desert, and a couple of others. Did Lowell encourage him to write them ?

Wikipedia notes some thing that weren't correct in the film- Lawrence of Arabia. Interesting... of course many of the characters weren't their real name but were "stand-ins" for the real people... like Bently for Lowell.