Lady wants to live in Victorian age

Posted by: MrB

Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/14/13 11:30 PM

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/01/what_its_like_to_wear_victorian_corsets_and_underwear_today/

Here's a gal who thinks she would like to live as they did in Victorian age , specifically ,1889. Mostly because of the women's fashion. As she thinks it's cool to wear corsets and crotchless pantalettes.

That may be fine but to live as they did in 1889 means some severe changes in life style.

Horses every where. Which means horse crap every where
No air conditioning
Very limited electricity
Heating with wood or coal or heating oil
Cooking with same.
No refrigerator. They did have ice boxes. Which required one to get large blocks of ice to put in an insulated box. One had to get the ice from a ice factory or shag the ice man who made regular routes through the streets
Doing laundry by wash board and hanging it on a line.
Cooking was a day long activity
Limited telephone also
And no plastic products. One forgets how much we rely on plastic.

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/15/13 02:13 AM

Yeah, and no OS X, either! cry
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/15/13 08:12 AM

IMHO no air conditioning would be a good thing. Taking hot air from inside and putting it outside while at the same time heating up the outside even more--doesn't seem very world-friendly to me.

I know that would mean that the sunbelt would be depopulated. smile
Posted by: DLC

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/15/13 11:37 AM

Not to mention... antibiotics, vaccines...

they're ignorant to how many people died from routine diseases we totally dismiss today..
I'm not talking plague... I mean staph infections, pneumonias, water and food brone diseases like typhoid fever, cholera, ...
Look at this list:
Cholera:
President Polk -1849
Tchaikovsky - 1893
Jim Bowie’s Mexican wife, 2 children - 1833 - he ended up at the Alamo because of this
Typhoid Fever:
Pericles 426 BC
Franz Shubert -1828
British prince consort Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha - 1861 - aka Prince Albert
William Wallace Lincoln - 1862. (Mary had TF but survived).
Leland Stanford, Jr. son of Leland Stanford - founded Univ.
Wilbur Wright -1912
Sen Stephen A. Douglas of the Lincoln Douglas debates -1861
Typhus:
Plague of Athens 430 BC.
1812- (30%) of Napoleon’s army retreating from Moscow. More than were killed in battle.
1918-1922 epidemic killed 3 million of 20-30 million cases.
1941 struck German army as they invaded Russia.
1945 - epidemic in Bergen-Belsen concentration camp killed Anne Frank and her sister Margot.

AND this isn't a complete list of famous people !! I could go on but you get the idea.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/15/13 03:56 PM

I grew up here without AC. It was nice not having wall to wall people here.

Edit: I'm going to have to look at that Replies thread up there. I meant to reply to yoyo.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/15/13 05:12 PM

Let's not leave out Jack The Ripper & Dracula! laugh

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/15/13 07:37 PM

Yep, I plumb forgot the medical side of it which is vast improvement.

Dave

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/15/13 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I grew up here without AC. It was nice not having wall to wall people here.

Edit: I'm going to have to look at that Replies thread up there. I meant to reply to yoyo.

i grew up in the Caribbean and then in Miami. No AC. It was ok--and not crowds all over the place.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/15/13 09:21 PM

No air condition when I was a kid either. We just sweat-ed and stank! Actually, we were forced to sit on the screened in porch each evening and visit with folks walking by and listened to radio shows. Lots of times we slept out there too.

If we slept in our rooms and beds we tried not to move around too much and to find a spot on the bed and pillow that was not wet with perspiration and maybe felt a little cool.

It was worse than he!! lots of the times.

Movies had big banners on the marquees saying "Air-conditioned Inside" and they drummed up business that way. We'd go and stay for hours.

Oh yes, we had sweat pads to wear so underarm perspiration didn't ruin a good dress. [They didn't work after getting soaked.]

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/16/13 04:48 AM

Right. I think she really hasn't thought this through. Of it's just the clothing then, there is very little stoping her from not wearing underwear at all, or wear the corset . Shucks, back in 2009, I wore a corset of such for about three months while the hole in my belly healed after a botched surgery.

I remember a few times I didn't wear underwear on the farm as a lad. And several pair of my underwear had enough holes in them to qualify as being "no underwear".

Air conditioning? What was that?
Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/16/13 05:20 AM

Maybe it's just urban myth, but I once read that Victorian women sometimes used urine as shampoo! eek

Damn you, Heathcliff, you forgot to get shampoo when you went to the apothecary. Now I'm really pissed! laugh

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/16/13 01:51 PM

We lived mostly wo AC when I was growing up... we had an evaporative cooling unit near the dining room... worked . . if you sat directly in front of it and no more than 3' away !! laugh

We drank lots of iced drinks, and sometimes ice cream to cool off.

Talk about "NO AC!" , on our honeymoon we drove into Las Vegas on July 20th in my wife's car with no AC. It had gone out months before and I was moving my new wife from Amarillo, TX to San Francisco, CA (where you don't need one)... so we decided to tough it... we didn't know it was going to be 117 F when we got there. We must have chomped a 10 lb bag of ice between the Grand Canyon and LV, NV. Once in LV, the hotel was plenty cool ! But getting there was a hot ordeal !! You might say we really had the "hots" on our Honeymoon !! wink

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/16/13 02:04 PM

My parental unit and I drove from Miami to Los Angeles, taking the southern route through AL, MI, LA, TX, NM, AZ, and through the desert into Los Angeles. That was the summer of 1967--interesting for a whole bunch of reasons, not least of which were the machine-gun-toting National Guardsmen on every street corner of Biloxi. But we had no air conditioning. And we survived quite well.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/16/13 03:03 PM

Quote:
Right. I think she really hasn't thought this through.

Hmmm.. I'm thinking it through.. she's all dolled up with a corset on and crotchless panties. HelllllOOoooooooo......

Re: Lady wants to live in Victorian age - 12/16/13 03:57 PM

AND she might not like the way men treat women back then... like slaves or property.. she's definitely a 2nd or 3rd class citizen--- NO vote... suck it up Lady !! Are you serious ??? shocked