Mac pro

Posted by: NucleusG4

Mac pro - 12/11/13 05:45 AM

OK.. Apple. I'm tired of checking your website every few days only to keep seeing ...

Coming in December

Aaaargh!
Years of waiting for the new design/model.. and months and months of waiting for a release.
Grrr.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Mac pro - 12/12/13 08:24 AM

No kidding -- they'll probably release near the end of the month, just to squeeze it in under the deadline. I would have hoped for something in time for xmas giving, but I'm less and less optimistic.

But yeah, checking the web site very dang day ;-)

Re: Mac pro - 12/12/13 08:59 AM

My problem is that by the end of month I'll be tapped out from Christmas holidays. eek
If I could order it today I would just tell some family members..sorry..business purchases come first! cool whistle
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Mac pro - 12/15/13 07:54 AM

You should check the Apple site on Tuesday (the 17th)

Re: Mac pro - 12/17/13 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo

Almost 6pm on the Right Coast and still "Coming in December" …

Re: Mac pro - 12/17/13 03:49 PM

Egads... Apple is too late. I fear that I have already spent too much this season.

Of course, when it actually goes on sale.. I may muster up the willpower.... eek grin
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Mac pro - 12/17/13 03:52 PM

Pricing has been announced
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Mac pro - 12/17/13 04:10 PM

That sure ain't cheap!

Re: Mac pro - 12/17/13 04:14 PM

Not announced, alas. Just a best-guess from a website =)
Posted by: DLC

Re: Mac pro - 12/17/13 04:37 PM

Is there a reason it looks like a smokestack ?? wink

laugh

Available NOW!!! - 12/17/13 06:47 PM

Available NOW!!!!!

Just kidding....

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/17/13 07:07 PM

LOL!
Tease… wink

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/18/13 04:20 AM

Woooo-Wheee!

Still Coming in December....

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/18/13 07:20 AM

I after four hours you need to go see a doctor, then after four months . . .
Posted by: Papa

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/18/13 07:39 AM

Egadget says tomorrow starting at $3000.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/18/apple-mac-pro-december-19

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/18/13 09:18 AM

The Apple store already has them listed as starting at 3000.00 so Engadget is just repeating the starting/base price which has been listed for a month or more.
The question is what are all the upgrades gonna cost.. and when DOES IT ACTUALLY GO ON SALE!!!!
Posted by: Papa

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/18/13 11:05 AM

The headline says it will go on sale tomorrow. The body of the article says that Apple confirmed it will go on sale tomorrow.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/18/13 11:44 AM

Says you can place a thin metal plate over the top and brew Tea or Coffee while you work !! whistle

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/18/13 12:14 PM

After considering the new architecture and components and reading this article I'm going to wait and see what the ARS Technica and Barefeats and a couple of other sites say... then decide.

http://architosh.com/2013/10/the-mac-pro-so-whats-a-d300-d500-and-d700-anyway-we-have-answers/

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/18/13 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
After considering the new architecture and components and reading this article I'm going to wait and see what the ARS Technica and Barefeats and a couple of other sites say... then decide.

http://architosh.com/2013/10/the-mac-pro-so-whats-a-d300-d500-and-d700-anyway-we-have-answers/

Well, it's all basically not-off-the-shelf tech, so you'd definitely be taking a leap of faith purchasing the thing right out of the gate -- which won't prevent people from getting it nonetheless ;-)

I'm really interested to see what the BTO pricing really will be. I figure we'll probably come full-circle back to the Iici days where regardless of the specific configuration you want, the thing will probably set you back around $5K (I know, I know, if you really max everything out it'll probably be way more, but it seemed like that 5K number was a good guideline.)

But anyways, still kind of exciting! New! Shiny! Expensive! What's not to like ;-)
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Mac pro - 12/19/13 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo

You are just 2 days late. laugh

Wow...it's not cheap. They have a 4K display as an option too.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/19/13 02:32 AM

Hmmm… the previous form factor was a cheese grater. Now we gots a berry, berry, 'spensive stove pipe! laugh

Meh… me gots a new Crucial 240-gig SSD on the way for the Mini (10Q, Jim_ for the advice and help), and that's a/b all the extra hp I'll need.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/19/13 02:41 AM

Good Luck.

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/19/13 03:33 AM

Kind of figured on a 4k display ever since this article... but Apple makes no mention of theirs being touch-capable..
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/sharp-32-4k-touch-display-will-be-os-x-compatible/
Ya.. I guess they went without touch...
http://sharp-world.com/products/professional-monitors/products/pn-k321/index.html
Ah well. whodafrik can afford 4G on a 4K display??? shocked

As far as the MP... I'm thinking the stock config may do me... but I'll wait a bit to see how it is received by the consumers and tech sites.
Grrrr... me want now!

Configuring an MP with everything including 2 displays (one 4k) comes in around 15Gs with tax figured in... whew.
I'm gonna be flipping a lottta burgers!!!! laugh

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/19/13 04:11 AM

For what you do, those are probably value-added functions. I do virtually zero video work, and most of my stuff is mid-sized ID projects with small to mid-size PS and AI files. There are exceptions from time-to-time, but my needs are well served by 8 gigs of Ram and the 2.3 ghz i5, and the 27" T-bolt display. The SSD will just speed things up a bit, and cutting my internal storage in half means bubkis to me. At any given time, I use less than 50 gigs of space — including apps and files — because as I back stuff up on the external, I can delete from the internal (and I just doubled my external from 1 to 2TB.

Bottom line, this will extend the residence of my Mini for another year or two.

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/19/13 04:18 AM

Ya.. I hear you.... and money is money. But I have the need for more vid power. Crunching 1 to 3 hundred photos can really tax the iMacs vid card... not too mention the SSD speeding up the access of those files and..

F##K all that baloney.. I just want to be the first kid on the block sporting one. grin

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/19/13 05:16 AM

Truth in advertising… laugh

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/19/13 07:00 AM

Everything maxed out, but without the 4K monitor: 9,599.

I'm ordering right now.

crazy

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/19/13 04:29 PM

As I figured, the config I would go for = ~$5,200 … not bad considering what one could spend (see $9,599, above), but still by no means a no-brainer. I'm with Nuke in wanting to be the first on the block, but I may have to try to exercise some discipline this time around ;-)

I also like the shimmy around the deadline: "Available later this year" = "Coming in December" = "Order now, ships in February" ;-D
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/19/13 04:54 PM

This was my MacPro order back in 2008. I am still using it and for what I need now, I am glad I got it as, baring a hardware failure, I plan on using if for a few years to come:

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/19/13 06:41 PM

I like my iMac, but I loved my cheese grater.

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/20/13 02:18 AM

It figures.

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/20/13 02:27 AM

But it's f'ugly and colorless. If it's power you want, gitcherself one-a these! It might even get you an' your borther chicks. grin

Re: Mac pro - 12/20/13 02:49 AM

Some early "leaked" benchmarks.
http://barefeats.com/tube01.html

Re: Mac pro - 12/20/13 02:52 AM

Ars Technica says their review will be forthcoming.. but I guess they have to wait like everyone else for new tube.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/12/the...ed-to-february/

Re: Mac pro - 12/20/13 03:14 AM

The unboxing video.
This is a pretty good video.

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/watch_mac_pro_unboxing_maclifes_sister_publication_uk

Re: Mac pro - 12/20/13 05:03 AM

That is a pretty good video.

I too notice no keyboard/mouse. I am guessing that is a first for any of the standard desktops (not the mini)? I guess that is why I have a box full of old keyboards!
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Mac pro - 12/20/13 05:18 AM

What’s in the box
Mac Pro
Power cord
Keyboard and mouse sold separately

Re: Mac pro - 12/20/13 05:30 AM

Quote:
What’s in the box
Mac Pro
Power cord
Keyboard and mouse sold separately

Yes, I know. They stated that in the video.
AND Bigger just said it.
Coffee much? smile

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/20/13 11:56 AM

And the lil' sucker came today! cool
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/20/13 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
And the lil' sucker came today! cool
You will love the difference in performance in so many aspects. Now you just have to con find someone to install it for cheap. smirk

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/21/13 03:46 AM

Well, if you wanna stop by, I'll show you how it's done, rookie. grin

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/21/13 05:09 AM

Wow! Adding 18 effects in FCP to a 4K video during editing and no dropped frames ... smooth as butter.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles...al-cut-pro-10-1

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/21/13 05:25 AM

Made In The USA

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Mac Pro is that it's made in America, or at least assembled in Texas with components made in Illinois and Florida and equipment made in Kentucky and Michigan. Presumably, some elements like semiconductors and memory will still be sourced from fabrication facilities in Asia or elsewhere in the world. Apple isn't the first company to reconsider contract manufacturing abroad. But its decision to do so at a time when the US economy needs more jobs and more manufacturing competency helps burnish a corporate imaged tarred by labor issues at its contract manufacturing partners in China.

Apple's decision to shift Mac Pro manufacturing to the US is bringing thousands of jobs to various states through US facilities run by manufacturing partners like Foxconn and Quanta. In November, the state of Arizona said that a new Apple facility being built in Mesa, Ariz., would create more than 2,000 jobs. There will be jobs for robots, too -- creation of the Mac Pro involves many machines.

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/21/13 05:25 AM

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/21/13 06:11 AM

I wonder if a matching thunderbolt case will be offered?

I did see a matching blue ray DVD that it looked like it went on the bottom of the Mac Pro. With the small stock hard drive or high expense of the flagger flash drives, I wonder if you are still stuck with an ugly case right now?

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/21/13 06:21 AM

So… the gold-colored thing is the new iMac? confused

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/21/13 07:23 AM

That really is impressive.

Mac Pro Tear Down - 12/31/13 12:54 PM

Wow... this looks really cool. Fairly easy to upgrade.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Pro+Late+2013+Teardown/20778
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Mac Pro Tear Down - 12/31/13 01:33 PM

That is not only beautiful, but also ingenious!
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Available NOW!!! - 12/31/13 01:34 PM

Well, after watching the tear-down video, I realize this isn't a photo of the "evil R2D2! blush

Re: Mac Pro Tear Down - 01/13/14 02:17 PM

Some early benchmarks.. with a modified 2010 MP.

http://www.barefeats.com/tube04.html

Re: Mac Pro Tear Down - 01/13/14 02:22 PM

CPU upgradeable.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/12/new-mac-pro-teardown-reveals-replaceable-xeon-cpu/?comments=1

Re: Mac Pro Tear Down - 01/13/14 02:27 PM

The new Mac Pro is over six-and-a-half times faster than the latest MacBook Air. Not shabby.
Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/262016/12-core-mac-pro-scores-33000-geekbench/#qSwkCu476yROPVD3.99

Re: Mac Pro Tear Down - 01/13/14 10:17 PM

The new Mac Pro is over six-and-a-half times faster than the latest MacBook Air. Not shabby

Not to dis the Air, but it ain't exactly the powerhouse of the lineup. Apparently, the more relevant comparison would be the "old" Mac Pro (or the current iMac, depending on what apps you use). In my case, according to their graph, the new 12-core doubles the performance of my 2010 8-core. Not bad by any means, but not nearly 6X …

And I don't know if you've seen the price of a new 12-core MacPro, but …

;-)

Re: Mac Pro Tear Down - 01/14/14 02:39 AM

Are you buying it?

Re: Mac Pro Tear Down - 01/14/14 03:05 AM

Pfffffffft. Speed? Ya want SPEED? I gotcher speed right here…

Pay very close attention to that model name, Hotshot. grin

Re: Mac Pro Tear Down - 01/14/14 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
The new Mac Pro is over six-and-a-half times faster than the latest MacBook Air. Not shabby

Not to dis the Air, but it ain't exactly the powerhouse of the lineup. Apparently, the more relevant comparison would be the "old" Mac Pro (or the current iMac, depending on what apps you use). In my case, according to their graph, the new 12-core doubles the performance of my 2010 8-core. Not bad by any means, but not nearly 6X …

And I don't know if you've seen the price of a new 12-core MacPro, but …

;-)

When has a new model ever been 6X more powerful than the previous?
They just said that for effect.

$3,000 is expensive. But this is not a huge leap over the prices of previous models... especially when you consider the 2 workstation vidcards.

That being said.. I can not afford one. Yet.

Re: Mac Pro Tear Down - 01/14/14 04:04 AM

It's not a huge leap in price over the previous model... and it's not a huge leap in power/speed over the Core i7 iMac in real-world everyday tasks.

You can make the argument that the MacPro is not for doing everyday tasks for average people (and you'd be right), but it's still hard to justify the cost.

I have the i7 27" iMac w/4GB video card at home, and we have one of the new MacPros at work. I see little to no speed improvement in any apps at all (though I did NOT try any video editing apps at all).

I got the 27" iMac with 32GB RAM, 500GB Flash Drive, 4GB Video Card upgrade, keyboard, mouse & magic pad for about the same money as the base model MacPro with no upgrades. That's a 27" monitor, KB, mouse, magic pad, more RAM, more storage and an iSight camera for essentially the same computing power (for what I do, anyway).

Re: Mac Pro Tear Down - 01/14/14 05:12 AM

Yeah, I hear ya. My issue is that my iMac doesn't keep up vidcard-wise. AND I would like to run a separate monitor off of it for palettes and such... but that would really kill the card.

Dunno...I'm sort of on the fence at this point.

Prolly wait till I see a refurb for 2700.00

Re: Mac Pro Tear Down - 01/14/14 12:21 PM

I have a 30" Dell Ultrasharp running at 2560x1600 connected to the 27" iMac and see no screen redraw (or any other) issues at all. Surprising, because I kind of expected Photoshop to run faster with the external monitor disconnected, but I don't notice any difference at all.

I don't know what you use your Mac for (business), but unless you're running Final Cut X, you're likely not going to see a whole lot of bang for your buck for quite some time (until all the software companies re-tool their software to take advantage of the MP's new stuff).

If we're talking benchmarks, then yeah, the MacPro is going to show an increase in speed for various tasks (though not all). But for everyday use with web, email, office apps, and even Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc., I could not see any noticeable speed increase.*

I DID notice a slight increase in speed copying large amounts of small files from a server compared to the iMac, but again it was hardly worth noticing. YMMV.